Save a cyclist campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowate

I'm really behind this campaign, and the petition - in fact it was finding a link to it that led me to joining Cycle Chat today. I like the emphasis on fostering mutual respect between drivers and cyclists. Which means that, as cyclists, we'll need to find ways of reminding ourselves that drivers are human beings too - especially when provoked by bad / inconsiderate driving. It's not easy - like a lot of people, I tend to be provoked by bad / inconsiderate driving when I'm driving too! In either case, it's important to avoid getting into a 'road rage' frame of mind, even if there's a moment of unavoidable anger at someone else doing something stupid.

At the same time, 'consciousness raising' in any form is vital too. I noticed on TV a while ago that there was a advert campaign designed to show drivers that motorcyclists are people too. Something like that is very much needed for cyclists. As is addressing the perception that cyclists don't contribute financially towards the roads they are using, which seems to be a rationale for some of the verbal abuse and aggression that cyclists are subjected to. Anyway, there's a lot that we cyclists can do, collectively, to help revise (some) drivers' attitudes, so I'll give this campaign, and the petition, whatever support I can.

John

OP
OP
A

amyling

I'm really behind this campaign, and the petition - in fact it was finding a link to it that led me to joining Cycle Chat today. I like the emphasis on fostering mutual respect between drivers and cyclists. Which means that, as cyclists, we'll need to find ways of reminding ourselves that drivers are human beings too - especially when provoked by bad / inconsiderate driving. It's not easy - like a lot of people, I tend to be provoked by bad / inconsiderate driving when I'm driving too! In either case, it's important to avoid getting into a 'road rage' frame of mind, even if there's a moment of unavoidable anger at someone else doing something stupid.

At the same time, 'consciousness raising' in any form is vital too. I noticed on TV a while ago that there was a advert campaign designed to show drivers that motorcyclists are people too. Something like that is very much needed for cyclists. As is addressing the perception that cyclists don't contribute financially towards the roads they are using, which seems to be a rationale for some of the verbal abuse and aggression that cyclists are subjected to. Anyway, there's a lot that we cyclists can do, collectively, to help revise (some) drivers' attitudes, so I'll give this campaign, and the petition, whatever support I can.

John

Thanks for the support John!

Top Bottom