Saving a Mercian frame - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

After reading up on the acid bath I'm a bit scared now, could be a potential environmental issue if I didn't dispose of it correctly. Anyone got any ideas on anything I could use to get the same effect? I think scrubbing will just take the decals and paint off as well as the rust.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't be put off by the word 'acid'. It's very mild, you can dunk your hands in it (though I'd wash them afterwards) with no Ill effect. Once it's done its work the acid is changed chemically and becomes inert, so is safe to dilute and pour away. The only thing it poses a hazard to is...rust.

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Don't be put off by the word 'acid'. It's very mild, you can dunk your hands in it (though I'd wash them afterwards) with no Ill effect. Once it's done its work the acid is changed chemically and becomes inert, so is safe to dilute and pour away. The only thing it poses a hazard to is...rust.
Sod it, I've ordered some oxalic powder off amazon!

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

I did try a bit of vinegar and foil but it was taking too long as there's too much rust... plus I really could not be bothered :smile:. I also saw the coke (the drink although it could give the energy needed for rubbing) method but as evapo-rust is quite cheap anyway this is the way I have gone.

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

I can't decide on a good top coat to seal everything though. Anyone got any suggestions? Spraymax is expensive but if it's worth it I'll get some and I'm not sure how boiled linseed oil would create a durable sealed finish?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good quality wax polish and don't go out in the rain?
Some years back I did a quick restoration on a Claud Butler mixte belonging to a friend. This was a clean-up, regrease bearings, replace cabes and broken bits job. But there was a lot of rust spots on the paintwork. The bike in question lives in a dry barn, so I popped down the local supermarket to see what I could find to protect the paintwork. I came back with a tin of clear shoe polish, that seemed to be better than nothing.

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

So the Mercian has gone through mummification and the result is pretty good. Obviously there's still signs of rust but you can definitely make more of the paint out now
IMG_20190825_140343_1.jpg
IMG_20190826_131052.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190826_132030.jpg
    IMG_20190826_132030.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190826_131143.jpg
    IMG_20190826_131143.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Top Bottom