Savoury Snacks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

Noodley said:
Could you provide details of what type of food falls within the categories "savoury" and "snack"? I would look foolish if I got it wrong.

Once I know I can contribute in my usual highly informative manner ;)

Savoury = Not Sweet (or at least not with sweetness as the defining taste of the snack)

Snack = Not a meal. True snackage occurs in the afternoon between lunch and dinner and also after dinner and sometimes after breakfast but before lunch and...err

Arch

Married to Night Train
Full fat Pringles. Salted. Top side down, to get maximum tongue-salt interface.

That or pistachio nuts.

<Psssst> It's not salt. It's heroin. That's why you can't stop eating them...

When I flew KLM last year, they gave us little packets of smoked almonds. They were lovely. Anyone know if you can get them in any national grocery chain or healthfood chain? I only like nuts when they're roasted or salted or whatever, with the exception of cashews..

Noodley

Melvil;39253][quote=Noodley said:
Could you provide details of what type of food falls within the categories "savoury" and "snack"? I would look foolish if I got it wrong.

Once I know I can contribute in my usual highly informative manner :biggrin:

Savoury = Not Sweet (or at least not with sweetness as the defining taste of the snack)

Snack = Not a meal. True snackage occurs in the afternoon between lunch and dinner and also after dinner and sometimes after breakfast but before lunch and...err[/QUOTE]

What about "audax snacks" like pies? and full cooked breakfasts? which come after your "real" breakfast" but before your "real lunch". Are they snacks? I'm not helping am I? :biggrin:

I could quite easily eat a couple of pies between meals...;)

gpx001

Über Member
I really like Walkers Baked crisps at the moment, especially the Cheese and Onion flavour.

Oh and I am quite partial to a good scotch egg and Melton Mowbray pork pie with plenty of English mustard and pepper.

Jas

Brock

Julian graves lemon and black pepper pistachios are a recent favourite, but those strange 'Cheese Moments' that you sometimes get in pubs are super beertropic food. If only they came in bigger sacks.

Cheddar George

oober member
When I flew KLM last year, they gave us little packets of smoked almonds. They were lovely. Anyone know if you can get them in any national grocery chain or healthfood chain? I only like nuts when they're roasted or salted or whatever, with the exception of cashews..

Flying KLM on a short flight you get the choice of a packet of TUC crackers or Oreo cookies, I naturally took the savoury option but after the first one i would have given my right arm for a piece of cheese.

Preference, cashew nuts.

Pistachio nuts are very more-ish, so much so that I used to buy large bags of them in Spain, and, armed with a bottle of Rioja, would devour the whole bag, half a kilo, (and wine) in one lovely long sitting.
The only problem was that by prising the nut from its shell (we're talking lots of nuts, here) used to make the quick of my thumb bleed.

longers

Legendary Member
How about :- www.sausagelinks.co.uk/index.asp

A very versatile snack indeed.

monnet

Guru
Toast rubbed with garlic, a couple of slices of tomato on top with a bit of olive oil and salt. Fantastic.

spesh

I try to avoid buying Pringles because I know I'll get through a whole tube of them in very short order. It can't be just salt that makes them very moreish...

I'm rather partial to Kettle Chips - Chilli & Mango, Salsa & Mesquite or Double Cheese will do nicely thank you...

And speaking of cheese, the ne plus ultra of savouries has to be cheese toasties, with a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. ;)

Brock

Being a fellow of no sweet tooth but a strong penchant for lard, pastry, salt and meat I think it'd be easier to list the savoury snacks I don't like, so here goes:

• errrm... .. . help? can't think of any.

Top Bottom