Sayings from the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Mum used to say "Well, stap me!"
Then I looked it up this morning as I was sure I must have misheard it...
dsc_0014.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Jake

Well, stap me! :rolleyes:

My Australian parents (of Anglo/Irish descent) would "run some messages", that would include banking, bill paying, post office, and bits of shopping. But the weekly shopping was shopping.

Also "your blood's worth bottling", "rally b-troop" (I think that was from a western) and lots of Goon Show quotes

Sandra6

Veteran
My nana, never having heard of political correctness, used to say of anyone remotely dark skinned "he's giving me a black look" :eek:
My dad still offers the kids a glass of corporation pop, and they say "yes please"

"...playing silly buggers" - my gran.
was always surprised to hear her say 'buggers'

Recently resurrected it myself when discussing reason and where to be looking while shoulder checking before taking my bike test. "look left incase someone's playing silly buggers"

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
My Mum goes to the shops, not for shopping, but to 'get the messages'.

It has NEVER made sense to me, and even she doesn't really have an explanation, it is just what she's always said.

I get the messages and I bet I'm not as old as your mum! I sometimes catch myself telling my colleagues that I'm going a wee message elsewhere in the hospital and they look at me like I'm a wally dug. I can't say that phrase here either :sad:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I get the messages and I bet I'm not as old as your mum! I sometimes catch myself telling my colleagues that I'm going a wee message elsewhere in the hospital and they look at me like I'm a wally dug. I can't say that phrase here either :sad:

All it makes me think about when I hear it is going to the Supermarket and going round the place like in some sort of covert operation where you can't give your secret code away.

*Whispers* 'Jaffa cakes.... Milk.... Bread........ We CAN'T let the enemy know this!!' */Whispers*... Before commando crawling into the breakfast cereal aisle.*

'....... I have broken a jar of olives and I can see them coming to get me, GO, you'll be better off without me... GO!! I'll fight them off as long as possible....'.

byegad

Legendary Member
When asked what was for tea, my mother would reply variously:-
'A walk round the table.
'Bread and pull it.' (Poulet)
'shoot with sugar on!'

The last one was always said when she had been asked about tea by every member of the family in turn.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
When asked what was for tea, my mother would reply variously:-
'A walk round the table.
'Bread and pull it.' (Poulet)
's*** with sugar on!'

The last one was always said when she had been asked about tea by every member of the family in turn.

'What's for dinner Mum?'

'Jobbies on toast'

What my Aunt used to say to my cousins when they asked.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Not swearing when ladies were present. When did people stop doing that?

The office I worked in in London was for the most part effing and blinding non stop. Cue a move to Yorkshire in the mid 70's and whenever one of the women who worked in the office came in, someone , usually the more senior members of staff, would announce in a side of the mouth faux secret way ''opp ladies present'' If anyone should happen to swear, even something mild like 'bloody', all the blokes would make little noises or make small coughs just to remind you that it wasn't on. But of course ladies then were such delicate little things.

I've remembered a couple more my Mum would say. Asked what was for dinner she would often reply
''Air pie''
Or if I was trying to get her attention and going 'Mum....mum...mum' when she was busy. She would say under her breath 'Mum's arse'

'I'd rather feed you a week than a fortnight'
'Buggering about'

If anyone called, or in later years when we got a telephone, while my Mum or Dad were out my Nan would always say they are 'at business' .
I had a cousin who was a scandal and my Nan would refer to him as 'An Oscar'.
It was only in my 20's it dawned on me what she meant. I suppose the word 'homosexual' was deemed to dangerous to say aloud.

byegad

Legendary Member
My maternal Grandmother, a forceful personality would answer questions about her age with:-
As old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth.

Top Bottom