Sayings from the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So did my mother.(the tongue and teeth thing)
Anything well polished, like school shoes, "Shines like a shitten stick on a frosty morning".

Nihal

Veteran
Heres another saying,its quiet famous around here it goes like
"Someone who eats salt,must drink water":ohmy:

"It's a bit black over Bill's mother's"
rather than weather; but, similar for a road that snaked around a bit
"This goes round Will's mothers a bit"

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
If we farted my mum would say "better an empty property than a troublesome tenant".

Something I'm apt to say even now is ''Evening vicar'' when someone let's off a ripper. It just dawned on me it was my Nan who used it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If we farted my mum would say "better an empty property than a troublesome tenant".

I doubt my Gran ever farted in public, in fact, there are stories of her having to leave the room just to let off!
Growing up in that sort of environment, it might explain why my Dad now loves to fart like a trooper! :rolleyes::laugh:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
From Grandma:
"Nowt like taking your corsets off and having a good scratch"
"Blue pencil" Gran's substitute for any swear word. Possible origin from the Great War when Force's mail was censored by a thick blue pencil.
From Mum
"I'll take my hand off your face". I once asked her not to put it on in the first place: not a sensible thimg to say!

Dry fly pie: Eccles cake
Blind scouse: a dish similar to scouse but without meat

Whilst you would not be happy today if someone mugged you, about 30 years ago you would when it meant that someone had bought you a beer.
Anyone familiar with the phrase "Two's up" meaning ater you with the paper/ magazine/ thingy? Not heard in my neck of the woods, I first heard it when stationed in Hanpshire many moons ago.

When did we cyclists stopped talking about crossbars and double clangers?

Top Bottom