Sayings from the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers! My Grandad was a Londoner through and through, so obviously not just a Norfolk saying.

A "pullet" is a young hen, and derives from the same Latin root as "poulet". So it might be right after all.
Oui d'accord. Je comprends, mais je ne suis pas convaincu!

"Putain de merde" was a favourite of my ex-Father in Law. (Usually when Jonny Wilkinson was dropping a goal v France XV or somesuch...

byegad

Legendary Member
My mum God bless her, who would have been 93 now, used to say;
After getting a blunt knife out.'' I could ride bare backside to Nottingham on that!''
On feeling a bit frail in the morning. '' Feels like t'old man's shook his spade at me today''.
On bumps in the night.'' Dead un's won't hurt ya lad, it's them that're alive tha has to worry about!''
On miserable folk. '' She wouldn't laugh if cat's backside were on fire''.

In our family it was ride bare arsed to London.

Lee_M

Guru
I always refer to the window sill (inside) as the Window Bottom much to GF's amusement. I'm from South Yorkshire, she's from London. She has Heels at each end of a loaf whilst I have Crusts.
My mother's swearing was "Blood and Sand". or at the very worst "Sugar".

Are you sure you aren't my twin?

I never knew it wasn't a window sill to everybody!

Lee (originally from sarf yorkshire)

i used love hearing the broad wigan accent when i was young , dont seem to hear it as much now

Mi yeds aw mugglet.............My head is in a muddle

Yon mons as bent as an arubs dagger..............That man is not very honest.

Yon babbies skraakin it's yed off............the baby is crying

as a kid i always used to think, if anybody not from lancashire met the old girl that lived next door to us ,they would swear she was a foreigner. she had the broadest accent ive ever heard

" A face like a bulldog chewing a wasp" or a "face like a smacked bottom" are nice.

or........... a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp:thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Nan used to say "Stop you a pingling" or for anyone outside of Norfolk, stop playing with your food.
She also used to say "Oh my great giddy uncles wife", my Mum used to say "Oh my great giddy aunt" when things went wrong.
Dad loved to say "and Robert's your Mother's Brother" instead of 'Bob's your Uncle'

For less than attractive people she would say "face like a slapped ar£3"
She called gay people 'jolly boys' or 'jolly girls'. Our gay neighbours were rather taken with the phrase
She threatened us with "you need a slap with a wet lettuce" if we had been naughty.

I am sure that I could remember more of my family's wierdisms given a bit of time.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
[QUOTE 2152410, member: 259"]I thought scouse always had spuds in it. In fact when we had it at school it seldom seemed to contain much else.[/quote]
Scouse does have spuds in it as does Irish stew.
From Gran: a lazy wind meaning a bitterly cold wind, too lazy to go round you so goes straight through you.
When someone was blocking the view of the TV: You weren't made at Pilks. a reference to the Pilkington glass works. Variants include You`ll make a better door than a window
Talking of doors we get Put wood inth 'ole and Were you born in a barn or a pub with swinging doors?
I remember as a kid nearly every neighbourhood had its own `Bluebell Woods`, do they still exist?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Nowt so queer as folk.
If it in't broken, don't fix it.
Bent as a nine bob note.
Give it 'ere. [after watching several failed attempts to do something.]
Stop snivellin' or I'll give you summat to cry about.
This'll 'urt me more than it 'urts you. [I always doubted that one]
He's rushing to his own funeral [at a stupid car driver]

Top Bottom