Scallops anyone ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought you meant sliced potato deep fried AKA a potato fritter. I eat both, but never at the same time - yet.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Can't recall if I have ever eaten real, quality scallops.
Its our 53rd anniversary on Tuesday and we are going to a very nice French restaurant.
One of the starters is scallops.
We have eaten there several times and although tempted I have shied away.
I like fish but not shellfish ie mussels, oysters etc.
What think you ?
Love scallops. If they’re a bit overcooked, they get a bit chewy, but that's actually the way I like them. (BTW: I don’t like either mussels OR oysters). To me, scallops, especially with butter and garlic, are almost as good as lobster, but much meatier. Worth a try. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I love scallops but like any good self-respecting Scotsman, I only really enjoy it when it is accompanied with some quality smoked bacon and Stornoway black pudding. To try it, is to love it. :okay:
I agree with the smoked bacon but Stornoway black pudding is too strong and in any case nowadays is a pale imitation of the original. One of my wife's uncles had the original shop selling his own and they were much different. I wonder if you can still get marags?

Slick

Guru
I agree with the smoked bacon but Stornoway black pudding is too strong and in any case nowadays is a pale imitation of the original. One of my wife's uncles had the original shop selling his own and they were much different. I wonder if you can still get marags?
As soon as it went to the mass market, it was inevitable that it would change a bit. Still best quality for me though despite this. Unlikely you would get marags now probably for much the same reason you don't get real tripe.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Vile things. Though not quite as bad as snails.
HaHa.
When I was working I regularly visited a customer in France and enjoyed trying different foods. I got to enjoy** snails.........until the time I picked one up and its 2 feeling thingies were sticking out :eek:. Never had them again.
**In hindsight I think it was the garlic I enjoyed.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As soon as it went to the mass market, it was inevitable that it would change a bit. Still best quality for me though despite this. Unlikely you would get marags now probably for much the same reason you don't get real tripe.
Interesting though I havee no idea what marags are.....must google it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
SOLUTION FOUND ^_^
Son's girlfriend says she loves them so if I find I don't enjoy them she will gladly scoff mine.......no problem as Covid has ruined my appetite anyway.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
To my slight regret I couldn't bring myself to try scallops until about 2 years ago, I can be a bit squeamish with some shellfish and they always looked bland and half raw on TV. I was missing a trick, they're delicious.
I agree hand dived only, those tiny ones that get dredged up are disaster for the marine environment and I won't buy them.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Scallops are gorgeous; but one of Europe's great gastronomic secrets is that the best ones are served up in Belfast. Take your pick.
So happy to see the Ginger Bistro pop up first in that list. When I was on IT courses in Belfast in the early 2000's I ate in there at every opportunity.
Delicious food, excellent service, and the early evening prices were just within my frugal expenses limit!

PK99

Legendary Member
HaHa.
When I was working I regularly visited a customer in France and enjoyed trying different foods. I got to enjoy** snails.........until the time I picked one up and its 2 feeling thingies were sticking out :eek:. Never had them again.
**In hindsight I think it was the garlic I enjoyed.

Try vegetarian snails:

Mushroom stalks in garlic butter served in snail shells.

Top Bottom