Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I admit i am no speed freak, and a few "roadies" have scalped me, but recently i have been doing a fair bit of scalping myself. Is it wrong to enjoy this, if i see another cyclist on the road ahead it stirs something inside me, seems to give me a burst of energy.

I always give a wave or nod to the victim as i cruise past. What do you guys do as you overtake people on the road

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I admit i am no speed freak, and a few "roadies" have scalped me, but recently i have been doing a fair bit of scalping myself. Is it wrong to enjoy this, if i see another cyclist on the road ahead it stirs something inside me, seems to give me a burst of energy.

I always give a wave or nod to the victim as i cruise past. What do you guys do as you overtake people on the road

Gasp!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it's not wrong and I usually say see ya sucker as I cruise past at a high rate of knots. Then when I am out of sight I try to put my lungs back into my chest.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The guy who overtook me yesterday actually apologised. He was under the impression that my panniers were full and heavy. I didn't correct him :blush:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It is said that one cyclist is a commute; two cyclists is a race
biggrin.gif

If I ever manage past someone, I usually make an inane comment like: 'All right then ?'
blush.gif

This is yet to be misconstrued as, if even I am able to get past, there must be something wrong with the bike or the rider
whistling.gif

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I scalped a guy going up a climb on Sunday he flew past my mate and I with a "hi" on his carbon Trek as we cruised along the flat to the start of the climb. I noticed a third of the way into the climb that he was going to be overhauled very quickly. As I past him he grunted "tortoise and the hare" at me. I ain't that slow and he wasn't asleep so strange analogy but hey ho. Moral of the story don't try to scalp just before a long climb if you can't climb. :thumbsup:

Seigi

I'm the exact same, as soon as I see another cyclist on the road I hear a "Challenge accepted!" and I have to pass them. There was another time I was cycling home and was being followed by someone on a road bike, they were slowly creeping up, and another "Challenge accepted!" appeared, I raced as fast as I could and would not let him get past me, I didn't do too bad considering he was on a road bike and I was on a MTB ;p

Suffice to say when it got to quite a bad incline I had a small heart attack.
whistling.gif

apollo179

I scalped a guy going up a climb on Sunday he flew past my mate and I with a "hi" on his carbon Trek as we cruised along the flat to the start of the climb. I noticed a third of the way into the climb that he was going to be overhauled very quickly. As I past him he grunted "tortoise and the hare" at me. I ain't that slow and he wasn't asleep so strange analogy but hey ho. Moral of the story don't try to scalp just before a long climb if you can't climb. :thumbsup:

It is ambiguous in what way he was saying tortoise and hare. He could have meant that you were the slow and steady tortoise he sped past before or he could be saying that hes the tortoise so "watch out for me later when i speed past you goind downhill ya flash etc etc".
Presumably you didnt encounter him again.
Definately a serious moral to be learnt about scalping if you cannot mack it stick.

Make sure its safe for me to do so and pull in ahead not cutting them off :whistle::thumbsup:

Enjoy away, for every person playing the game theres 10 more who have no idea or simply dont care :biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
Make sure its safe for me to do so and pull in ahead not cutting them off :whistle::thumbsup:

Enjoy away, for every person playing the game theres 10 more who have no idea or simply dont care :biggrin:

If you go past someone and you hear that clunking noise as they drop a few gears you can generally assume they want to play. Although often they drop a few gears and almost grind to a stop.

I'm the exact same, as soon as I see another cyclist on the road I hear a "Challenge accepted!" and I have to pass them. There was another time I was cycling home and was being followed by someone on a road bike, they were slowly creeping up, and another "Challenge accepted!" appeared, I raced as fast as I could and would not let him get past me, I didn't do too bad considering he was on a road bike and I was on a MTB ;p

Suffice to say when it got to quite a bad incline I had a small heart attack.
whistling.gif

Now that someone on a road bike may of been me. I dont like to scalp riders. I prefer to ride up on a biker that I know is going full pelt just to avoid me scalping them. I then wait until they run out of gas and just pass them with a get on my wheel remark. I get more enjoyment out of it knowing if I really wanted too, I could.

vorsprung

Veteran
It's more fun in the winter with studded snow tyres on trying to keep up with a Specialized Tarmac ridden by a hyper fit stick insect

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
I stop at every trafic light...I looooooooove catching up and overtaking other cyclists who jump red lights. Its practically the highlight of my commuite every day.

Had no idea it had a name though.

Top Bottom