Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always do it, I imagine Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen commentating my chase as well :unsure:
I hate it when other people do it to me but then its just annoyance with myself that I'm not as good as them. I'll always say hello to them whoever's doing the overtaking.

leyburnrunner

i will cruise past the poor sap but a few hundred yards later i always have to come to a stop to answer a call on my mobile......funny that...

BSRU

A Human Being
People overtake me all the time as I'm a newbie and slow :sad:

But to be fair anyone that thinks they've done well to scalp me can't be that good either! :laugh:

Overtaking someone with a bigger FCN is not scalping. If I overtake a FCN 10 on my hybrid it's a scalp, if I'm on my road bike then it's not.

If you go past someone and you hear that clunking noise as they drop a few gears you can generally assume they want to play. Although often they drop a few gears and almost grind to a stop.

I dont think I'd hear them above the traffic noise TBH Sometimes people take me back and I let them then stay ahead unless they immediately slow down again. If they want to play, they can play with themselves :biggrin:

lulubel

Über Member
Moral of the story don't try to scalp just before a long climb if you can't climb. :thumbsup:

I've been in a bit of a dilemma about this a couple of times lately. If I'm catching up someone on a MTB on the flat - which I probably will be, let's face it, because I've got bigger gears, bigger wheels, less rolling resistance, etc - I know they'll probably pass me again on the next climb because I'm not very fit, heavier than I'd like to be, and lousy at climbing. So I can either sail past with a cheery wave, which is embarrassing when they pass me again, or sit behind them, which is very boring. I've learnt to just deal with the embarrassment until such time as I get fit enough to be over the top of the climb before they even reach the bottom of it!

NeilEB

I've been in a bit of a dilemma about this a couple of times lately. If I'm catching up someone on a MTB on the flat - which I probably will be, let's face it, because I've got bigger gears, bigger wheels, less rolling resistance, etc - I know they'll probably pass me again on the next climb because I'm not very fit, heavier than I'd like to be, and lousy at climbing. So I can either sail past with a cheery wave, which is embarrassing when they pass me again, or sit behind them, which is very boring. I've learnt to just deal with the embarrassment until such time as I get fit enough to be over the top of the climb before they even reach the bottom of it!

You could just go for "Hi, see you on the hill as you fly past me!" :-)

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I was scalped today big time, by a scorpion tank no doubt!! ... I wasn't going to argue, but he made a very clean pass :biggrin:

doog

I dont think a scalp is a proper scalp unless you are both up for it. Doesn't matter what you are riding either, there needs to be a statement of intent or move from both parties otherwise forget it.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I was scalped a couple of days ago by a fit roadie who looked a lot younger than my bike. My bike is about 30 he looked early 20's. He was on something maybe only a couple of years old, if that, couldn't see what, as he flew by and disappeared into the distance. I suddenly felt my age :blush: .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm a FCN 3 on the commute. Actually a 4 on the road bikes.

Yes the only scalps I count are the 2's. 1's are very difficult on fixed though.

Top Bottom