Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dirkthedaring71

I have to agree with everyone who gets that feeling deep inside when there is another bike any where near on the open rd. My first experience of this was when I overtook a teenager who was on an mtb whilst going up a hill. After a few minutes I noticed that he was sitting right behind my rear wheel. This led to the shameful event of a 39 year old man racing a teenager down the high street.

Since then I have done few charity rides where I set myself a little challenge to see how many people I can overtake over the entire distance.

Does anyone else do this on charity rides?

Goobs

Veteran
Managed to scalp a young woman on a hybrid and a same age bloke on a racer the other night - I was on my knobbly MTB FCN=9 so was quite chuffed.

So used to be being scalped it made a nice change.

TBH the route I go on has so many hills that my roadbike (FCN=3) only scalps on a flat whereas the MTB scalps more often on t'hills !

Glover Fan

FCN 2 here. I was scalped yesterday by another 2er I reckon, didn't bother me, didn't up my pace but I could tell he was grinning away, anyway he went out of sight until about midway up a 10% climb, so dropped down to a smaller cog and cruised past with a cheery hello as I went past. I could literally hear him take his last breath he was breathing that heavily.

I'll miss being in my 20's and weighing only 10 stone in the future I think.

apollo179

I stop at every trafic light...I looooooooove catching up and overtaking other cyclists who jump red lights. Its practically the highlight of my commuite every day.

Had no idea it had a name though.

What i hate is getting scalped and finding, at the next set of lights, the bike that just scalped you stuck in the way stopping you rlj.
Like a double kick in the tessies.

peelywally

im fcn 3 ,

and none the wiser
bicycle.gif
as to what that means

BSRU

A Human Being
You haven't scalped until you have scalped a car. Great feeling
cool.gif

You should try a train, about 1km of my ride is next to the train tracks coming out of Swindon station, so the trains are speed limited, with a good wind and good timing you can just abit scalp them, luckily for the train I have to turn off :tongue:.

JNR

FCN 2 here. I was scalped yesterday by another 2er I reckon, didn't bother me, didn't up my pace but I could tell he was grinning away, anyway he went out of sight until about midway up a 10% climb, so dropped down to a smaller cog and cruised past with a cheery hello as I went past. I could literally hear him take his last breath he was breathing that heavily.

I'll miss being in my 20's and weighing only 10 stone in the future I think.

I'm a FCN 2, also in my twenties, also around 10 stone which is great for climbing past hills. I've been out on training runs and had hilarious dealings with older chaps putting in herculean efforts only to get dropped on the next climb!

I've also had older chaps in the club totally outride me without getting out of breath, dropping me on descents nearly every time and making it look easy peasy. These are guys twice my age at least!

Thing is though, none of it matters - I don't care who I 'scalp' and I don't care if I'm scalped - sometimes I'll have done 80 miles, sometimes I'll be doing a recovery ride and soemtimes the other cyclist will be leagues ahead of me. Who cares!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I try to keep to the maxim that "Hills never get easier, you just get faster", hence try to show some solidarity - even though you are twice as fast, the hill is still steep, the wind is still in your face, the weather is still rather warm, and the rain still gets you wet.

NeilEB

You should try a train, about 1km of my ride is next to the train tracks coming out of Swindon station, so the trains are speed limited, with a good wind and good timing you can just abit scalp them, luckily for the train I have to turn off :tongue:.

I scalped a barge yesterday - not sure it's much to be proud of :blush:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you never really know how far the other rider has ridden though, so what you think is a top scalp could be someone who would kick your arse every time over the same distance.

i've had that, the club's hard-core mile high ride in my legs as i limped back up the last climb of the day. i was 'scalped' by two mountain bikers and all i could manage was to look at them and say 'shoot'. they laughed…

Twigman

You can all have an easy scalp if ever you are in Dunstable.....I've just got myself a bike (carbon roadie) and a load of gear (shoes/shorts etc)...after 30 years of not cycling (I used to be able to do 40 milers no problem on my old steel framed touring bike), smoking 15 a day, and not doing any exercise......on the FCN scale I'd be a 2 but I can't ride more than a couple of miles without my lungs and legs crying "Enough!!"<br><br>I've only been out the once so far and decided to 'challenge' myself by riding from my house up to the trig point on Dunstable downs (can't be more than 2 miles)....I got 2/3 of the way there and thought I should turn round and go home! LOL<br><br>I really need to stop the cigs and get my legs used to going round and round again.<br><br>All the gear - no idea! That's me!<br><br>Anyway Hello all!

Chris.IOW

I had a great ride yesterday and was feeling good, on the way home about 15 miles out I saw someone about a mile ahead going up a climb and thought...I'm having them.

So I shot off like my back wheel was on fire and really pushed myself, they weren't hanging around though so I had to fly up the climbs and push myself on the descents.

Anyway finally caught him and despite feeling like I was about to collapse I managed a cheery 'afternoon' as I breezed past!

Felt good for about 30 seconds until I had to pay for all that effort. The last couple of miles up a long hill taught me the meaning of Peddaling squares! :sad: Fortunatley my 'victim' had gone a different route so didn't pass me.

Top Bottom