Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
i've had that, the club's hard-core mile high ride in my legs as i limped back up the last climb of the day. i was 'scalped' by two mountain bikers and all i could manage was to look at them and say 'shoot'. they laughed…
I had the the reverse happen today. I stopped at a junction & someone fresh as a daisy, I'd seem them getting their bike out of the garage less than half a mile down the road took off at record pace after looking me up & down then smirking as my 40 mile old legs slowly wound up to speed... only to absolutely blast them off the climb with them standing up giving it large. I just said "41 & counting" to the response of "f**k!"

apollo179

[QUOTE 1482649"]
Agree with this. I still remember the Doris who rode past me on the footpath next to me on the road yelling ''And he comes on the inside!!'' Good one mush - I've been out on the bike for just under 24 hours, up for 33 hours and am on mile 196.

IMO you can only call a scalp a scalp if the person you have overtaken tries to keep up with you after the overtake and then gets dropped. Or overtakes you after being overtaken (thus they have increased their pace) then the race is on. I've passed numerous cyclists on the bent, overtaken a car whose doing 30mph and drafted a truck doing 48mph. I feel no need to boast though. There's no point - boasting merely lowers the cartharhic zen when looking at the driver of a car as you pass doing 35.
[/quote]
I do sympathise but unfortunately in the same way as the rabbit cant opt out of being chased by mr fox cos hes been up all night digging the burrow , theres no opt out cos youve been in the saddle for x hours. If your on tarmac your fair game.

Wardy

I must say I find all this talk of "scalping" a fellow cyclist a bit disappointing. I mean, given that all things were equal and that somebody was having a race with another cyclist who they managed to beat by fair means, then fine and dandy, but why use the term "scalp". Where did this originate anyway? But to use the same term having passed a cyclist who was perhaps coming to the end of a 60 mile trip, or who was just having a relaxing pootle - whether they were on a boneshaker or the latest, highly expensive road bike - is just mind-boggling in its infancy. It also seems to suggest that the cyclist seen in the distance was determined that nobody should pass them (just to inject a little fairness into the proceedings) when in most cases they were probably totally unaware of anyone behind. This just smacks of boy-racer mentality to me and not what I enjoy cycling for.

zexel

Veteran
I had the the reverse happen today. I stopped at a junction & someone fresh as a daisy, I'd seem them getting their bike out of the garage less than half a mile down the road took off at record pace after looking me up & down then smirking as my 40 mile old legs slowly wound up to speed... only to absolutely blast them off the climb with them standing up giving it large. I just said "41 & counting" to the response of "f**k!"

I got the impression you were older than that. :biggrin:

lulubel

Über Member
I had a bit of a laugh on my way home from my ride yesterday.

Caught up with 3 MTBers on the main road, and turned off before I passed them onto a smaller road for a loop that took in a couple more hills. I figured they'd be heading up to the mountain trails and would be long gone by the time I got to where they'd turn off. Caught them up again just at the bottom of the last climb on my ride - they were obviously going to the next lot of trails. I stayed behind them up the hill, stopping a few times to adjust cable tension because my gears were playing up, then passed them going over the top and carried on at my normal speed. A couple of miles later, on a slight downhill, I freewheeled for a bit while I had a drink. I heard a noise behind me, and the 3 MTBers came past, pedalling frantically and all 3 red in the face. Not one of them spoke to me (even though I'd said a friendly "hello" when I passed them), and I just stared at them in disbelief for a while, before turning off into my road.

They obviously didn't want to ride at the speed they had to to pass me, but they seemed very upset that I'd passed them!

cyco2

There's a rider that passes me because I am always on an MTB and they are on a road bike. This after quite a good climb. So, I'm thinking he can't be getting much satisfaction from that. So, one day I'm going to hide behind some bushes at the bottom of the climb and as he goes by get on his wheel or I might just amble along and let him think he is out-climbing me and then jump on his wheel and as he climbs harder, pass him at the summit. Then let him catch me on the next two rises but because I have relaxed my effort and got my breath back, ride him off again.
I used to be like that but at my age and condition I can only dream.
I can do it to joggers though, and as I go past I say " only another 3 stone to go then":biggrin:

Wardy

[QUOTE 1482658"]
That's well said and a good post. Just a shame that some people will not see it like that. After all ''if you are on the tarmac you are fair game.''
[/quote]
Fair game for what Lee hmm? Being passed by a "boy on a bike" who instantly awards himself a gold star because he knackered himself catching you up and passing you? I have this vision of our ever-so-proud chappie staring ahead with haunted eyes and heaving chest as he surveys a never-ending vista of cyclists, all spaced out at intervals of a mile, and all wearing the same lycra top emblazoned with the words "C'mon scalper, you can do it".

MoG

Veteran
Do you know what? This scalping thread has been just about the most entertaining thing I have read in a long time!!

I got scalped big time on the way home last night while climbing up a long steep hill - and was absolutely delighted!

The scalper was a young twenties, 91/2 stoner (Iwould estimate) on a stripped down carbon mtb thingy, with all the gear to match. Despite the heat and humidity, he looked as if he had only just set off a mile or two back (might be wrong, but dont think so).

I was on my btwin triban 3 compete with mudguards, 3 font lights and 2 rear, underseat and frame bag containing 2 inner tubes, tyre levers, pliers etc. and rain jacket. I am 48, 13 stone, with most of the cartilage (sp?) missing from my right knee, along with an irrepairable acl in same knee. I commute on bike to work every day (18miles each way, with 12 hour shift in between), and managed about 3 hours sleep the night before due to ill 6 year old.

So to all you preening scalpers out there, all I can say is congratulations, and .... Knickers!!!

apollo179

[QUOTE 1482658"]
That's well said and a good post. Just a shame that some people will not see it like that. After all ''if you are on the tarmac you are fair game.''
[/quote]
Personally i just see it as a bit of harmless fum but it does amuse me that some (serious) cyclists take it all so seriously.
And its probably this stern faced serious persona of Mr serious cyclist that makes the image of our serious lcyra clad cyclist being overtaken after 48 hours on the road by a scruffy kid on a batterred old bso so amusing.

Allirog

Humans are naturally competitive; survival of the fittest,and all that sort of thing. Chances are, if you were trundling around with a zimmer frame someone with a flashy,customised, super streamlined walking frame would probably try to 'scalp' you.

VamP

Banned
I don't know about all this scalping talk, but would anyone seriously suggest that if bike A, travelling at 20 mph comes up behind bike B, travelling at 15 mph, that bike A should slow down and NOT pass in order not to give the appearance of sneering superiority to bike B?

I don't know about all this scalping talk, but would anyone seriously suggest that if bike A, travelling at 20 mph comes up behind bike B, travelling at 15 mph, that bike A should slow down and NOT pass in order not to give the appearance of sneering superiority to bike B?

Not in the slightest and that was never my point. I'm only of an anti SCR view because of what I've put already ie if that person who's drafting me a from a foot behind in heavy traffic, or passing me as soon as they can and cutting in too soon doing so because of some silly race then I resent the fact they are not taking more care around me.

Still having had a week or so to think about this, and having watched a few people around me presumably participating in SCR around me I've no real problem with it, doesnt seem to be doing me any personal harm and the incidents I mention are rare.

Better? :biggrin:

Top Bottom