Scalping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Not in the slightest and that was never my point. I'm only of an anti SCR view because of what I've put already ie if that person who's drafting me a from a foot behind in heavy traffic, or passing me as soon as they can and cutting in too soon doing so because of some silly race then I resent the fact they are not taking more care around me.

Still having had a week or so to think about this, and having watched a few people around me presumably participating in SCR around me I've no real problem with it, doesnt seem to be doing me any personal harm and the incidents I mention are rare.

Better? :biggrin:

Oh hell, if anyone rides dangerously around you that's a good enough reason to get pissed off, whether they are faster or slower than you.

Oh hell, if anyone rides dangerously around you that's a good enough reason to get pissed off, whether they are faster or slower than you.

Definitely, I see a lot of the 'must get in front' at times and I do question their motives. 99% of the people I see though are good to cycle with.

apollo179

[QUOTE 1482671"]
It appears to me that you confusing a bit of harmless commuting racing (which I agree is a bit of laugh) with people proudly announcing that they have scalped someone when in all honesty they've overtaken someone who's simply minding their own out on the road turning a gear.
[/quote]

I dont think anyone is proudly announcing anything.
You really are taking this far to seriously.

I think the chap that dodged in and out of the slow moving traffic ahead without looking around or with any regard for the cars around him instead of just going a bit slower for half a mile was either taking it far too serious or really annoyed that I dared to pass him when he failed to set off from the lights at anything more than a snails pace (wrong gear):whistle:

thehairycycler

I've never been scalped as such but as my commute to work is arount 5-6 am and 6-7pm and pretty rural there isn't all that much out on the roads.
I done the test and I would be either a 6 (if going to work or a 4 if going to the cycle club. wasn't sure what constitutes a beard i like to sport a bit of stubble and baggies is that top and bottom or just the top etc? I always wear loose shorts i don't feel comfortable going into my work with my lunchbox on show haha

Not Scalping as such but I've just joined the cycling club and being the slowest I set off in the first group and when the real riders woosh me in a line and at about 30mph on the flat while I was sitting just under 20mph I was more in awe and impressed than pissed off and angry.

Mad at urage

Rarely see other cyclists on my morning ride commute (it is still a commute, even if I ride to work from home! :angry: ), when I do it is a memorable event.

But I was scalped this morning by a chap (in his 20s? ) passing me on the little hill up to Pen y Lan.

If it was anyone here, apologies if I wasn't very talkative: I'm just not used to riding in company and find it off-putting when trying to concentrate on traffic, once we were back in the urban environment.

Oh, and you just were not breathing hard enough at the top to convince me that wasn't a scalp! :rolleyes: :tongue:

BSRU

A Human Being
I was overtaken by some guy this morning but luckily for me it wasn't a scalp, he was obviously on a training ride and not commuting, as I've seen him before.
More importantly his FCN is much smaller than mine, even though I was on the road bike, due to his shaved legs, team kit, aero bars, aero wheels and a very expensive looking Bianchi.

If I hadn't been messing about with my heart rate monitor instead of riding at my usual speed he would never have overtaken me as he just caught up as our paths separated.

Give him credit he is f***ing fast, I "can" go that quick but it would not be to long before I'd ended up in a heap :tongue:.

pshore

For me, true SCR involves no exchange of words.

It is not an equal race, because you don't know how far someone has to go, when did they last eat, are they warmed up and most importantly are they really participating ?

If you take part you are really racing yourself, not the other person and if you lose you can only tell those excuses to yourself.

A true scalp should be honourable and outclassing, not gained by a lucky gap in the traffic or lights.

Others play by different rules ... if they were playing.

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1482679"]
So it was not a scalp because he was out on a training ride. Hmm, ok. 'Messing around with my heart rate monitor' I call that an excuse, face it you got owned.

I wait for the day that you post a vid of scalping someone (as you have done before) and the reason you caught them was that 'They were messing around with a heart rate monitor.'

In fact I propose that this is the new excuse to be used by cyclists everywhere who have an inferiority complex the size of the Former Soviet Union when being overtaken, sorry scalped. Er yeah, you only overtook me because I was ''messing about with my heart rate monitor.''
[/quote]

You seem to have not read any of this thread but then don't let stop you making stupid comments, I pass lots of cyclists but their not scalps as I have a lower FCN, so there just overtakes, pretty simple really. Technically and being very pedantic it wasn't even an overtake as he was in the left filter lane and was in the middle lane to go straight ahead.

The heart rate monitor excuse is simply stating that an extra 1 or 2 kph faster and I would never have seen him, I never stated he wasn't catching me, just at my normal speed our paths would have separated before any "overtake" would have been possible.

I have no inferiority complex, the other guy, as stated is very fast, way faster than me.

VamP

Banned
I was overtaken by some guy this morning but luckily for me it wasn't a scalp, he was obviously on a training ride and not commuting, as I've seen him before.

Not having a go, but your usage of ''obviously'' in that sentence puzzles me. I wear the same kit and ride same bike on my commutes as I do on training rides. I can't be the only one. I occasionally carry a bag, but put lot of effort into planning my days so that I don't have to.

I see a fair few roadies on my commutes, I always assume they are commuting rather than training. Only ever see them coming the other way though, so scalping never enters the equation.

I guess I treat my commutes as training rides, but then that seems entirely logical to me.

BSRU

A Human Being
Not having a go, but your usage of ''obviously'' in that sentence puzzles me. I wear the same kit and ride same bike on my commutes as I do on training rides. I can't be the only one. I occasionally carry a bag, but put lot of effort into planning my days so that I don't have to.

I see a fair few roadies on my commutes, I always assume they are commuting rather than training. Only ever see them coming the other way though, so scalping never enters the equation.

I guess I treat my commutes as training rides, but then that seems entirely logical to me.

I should have added some justification to my statement, it is a reasonable assumption to me, although I could be wrong, as I see him often on a loop circuit which crosses my path several times, in fact where he caught me he was actually in effect u-turning to go back to where he just came from. I should have stated in my opinion he was on a training ride and not commuting. He could be commuting but he had no rucksack, empty jersey pockets and he'd have to have somewhere very secure to keep his lovely Bianchi from thieving scum.

GrasB

Veteran
He could be commuting but he had no rucksack, empty jersey pockets and he'd have to have somewhere very secure to keep his lovely Bianchi from thieving scum.
Sounds like me on my non-clothing days (actually I'd probably have a few gels in my back pocket)... I know a fair number of people who ride multi-£1000 bikes for their commuting & almost all of them stash their bike in their office (including me)

BSRU

A Human Being
Sounds like me on my non-clothing days (actually I'd probably have a few gels in my back pocket)... I know a fair number of people who ride multi-£1000 bikes for their commuting & almost all of them stash their bike in their office (including me)

This could be true for him, he could have been commuting in and adding a few circuits to increase the mileage, exactly as I do just not as fast. He was certainly giving it some effort on a very warm and humid morning, he could just about manage to reply to my "good morning" salutation.

Don't see many multi-£1000 bikes in Swindon, normally supermarket specials, apart from some local LBS's shop windows, this guy and some riders I've seen from the GWR Team, who are even faster.

GrasB

Veteran
Most people are riding supermarket specials around here as well but there are a number of people riding rather nice bikes as well.

BSRU

A Human Being
So far 100% of the multi-£1000 bikes I have seen have been ridden very very quickly by riders far better than me.

Top Bottom