Scam bank text about “unusual activity”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I received an automated phone call from the 'Visa Security Department' within 5 minutes of making a purchase on ebay. It might just have been a coincidence or scammers might have some access to ebay's internal system.

I started using phone banking many years ago - as in many many years ago.
A year or so after I started the bank rang me and said who they were and wanted to take me through security - they were rather confused when I refused.
I rang them back on the proper number on the card and it was genuine but I insisted on being transferred to a 'manager' once the problem had been sorted out. I explained the problem and it really seemed they hadn;t come across it at the time. Like I said - it was a long time ago.
I haven't had a phone call like that from them since!

BTW - I am waiting for the cops to arrive - they must be busy as they have been on their way for several months - probably delayed due to Covid - but the message was clear that a warrant has been issued!

The answer to the question “Can you confirm….” is ”Yes - just tell me a piece of information which you think you know about me and I’ll confirm if you are correct.” Otherwise, it ‘s them confirming to you and not the other way round.

They’ve stopped calling me.

To be fair, John Lewis blocked a transaction I was making with my Partnership card. I was buying an iPhone (from John Lewis) for my wife as her old one has a knackerred battery and, as we’re on holiday, it needed to go to a different address.

The security department got in touch straight away to check if the transaction was genuine before processing it. I would have been surprised if a high-ticket item, going to a different address, had gone through without question.

I did have a phone call from a bank (or Credit Card - I forget the details) where they explained that they needed to talk to me about a transaction but insisted that I phoned them on the normal number - and would not tell me the number.
Which I thought was good
I saw a letter in a newspaper some time after this complaining about the bank doing this on the basis of "why can't they just tell me the number to ring so I don't have to look it up!!!! - Angry of whatisplace!!" - some people don't really get security!

I did have a phone call from a bank (or Credit Card - I forget the details) where they explained that they needed to talk to me about a transaction but insisted that I phoned them on the normal number - and would not tell me the number.
Which I thought was good
I saw a letter in a newspaper some time after this complaining about the bank doing this on the basis of "why can't they just tell me the number to ring so I don't have to look it up!!!! - Angry of whatisplace!!" - some people don't really get security!
You should use a different phone if doing that - scammers have a way of staying online and making you think you’re talking to your bank and not them.

You should use a different phone if doing that - scammers have a way of staying online and making you think you’re talking to your bank and not them.
Since the start of the pandemic you can spot this - if someone answers within 10-15 minutes it must be fake!!!!

But - yes - you are right - either use a different phone or phone someone else first - I normally ring my mobile and if it rings then I know the line is clear.

Top Bottom