scam text

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How many times do people have to be told never to give any financial details to email requests or unsolicited phone calls? I know people who are elderly and confused can get caught, but the number of otherwise intelligent people who fall for these scams is beyond belief, you see them whining in the press and on TV that the bank won't give them their money back after they've been caught - the same bank that is constantly pointing out that they do not contact people in that manner if their is a problem with their account.

A Guardian journalist had an article in the paper last week about how she'd fallen for such a scam, and she started the piece by saying it could happen to anybody because she regards herself as an intelligent person - no you ain't dear, you're a fecking grade A mug.

Wobblers

Euthermic
How many times do people have to be told never to give any financial details to email requests or unsolicited phone calls? I know people who are elderly and confused can get caught, but the number of otherwise intelligent people who fall for these scams is beyond belief, you see them whining in the press and on TV that the bank won't give them their money back after they've been caught - the same bank that is constantly pointing out that they do not contact people in that manner if their is a problem with their account.

A Guardian journalist had an article in the paper last week about how she'd fallen for such a scam, and she started the piece by saying it could happen to anybody because she regards herself as an intelligent person - no you ain't dear, you're a fecking grade A mug.

These would be the same banks that are now texting authorisation codes when you use your credit or debit card. We're already seeing fraudsters porting victim's mobile phone numbers to themselves so that they can empty their bank accounts. Plus they're still in the habit of sending endless marketing emails and emails confirming transactions. I've lost count of the number of times I've been phoned by the chumps at the bank who start off by asking me for my details! The banks have done a very good job at conditioning people to accept such things as normal - is it any wonder that the scammers have realised and so use to the same methods to con people?

postman

Legendary Member
Just this morning it seems i have to click on a table reservation.With two other names,i don't even know the names.DELETED .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We received a new phone call one the other day, the caller with a heavy accent, said,

" You are still paying £7.00 a month for TV maintenence, ( we aren't and never have) we can reduce it to £5.00 a month" I said thats very good of you, she said " I will post the paperwork out to your address" she gave our correct address and said " is that correct" I said no thats not my address, she seemed confused with this and said sorry and hung up.

Now was this a scam or not, if so its a very bad one.
"TV maintenance"? WTF is TV maintenance? I've been watching tellies all my life without once thinking to maintain them. Am I living on the edge or what?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
"TV maintenance"? WTF is TV maintenance? I've been watching tellies all my life without once thinking to maintain them.
You must be relatively young then! :okay:

Our first TVs were chunky and full of hot valves which used to pack up at least once a year. In the early stages of decline, valves could often be nudged back into life by hitting the top of the set. Eventually though, that DIY repair attempt would kill the set altogether and TV repairman would be sent for (they were all men in those days...).

Valve replacement was easy, but because the back of the set was such a hot environment other components also used to fail on a fairly regular basis. Finding and replacing them was not quite so easy. Sometimes the set would be taken away for a day or two to be sorted out back at the TV shop.

When transistor-based sets came along they were much more reliable, but still serviceable.

Modern sets are very reliable so I imagine that there are not any TV repairmen/women left. Surface-mounted integrated circuits are not things that you really want to mess about with in any case so it is probably more realistic to either just plug a whole new panel in, or just replace the set. It isn't 'green', but that's the reality of it.

Anyway, back to scams... A friend of mine got scammed by someone who phoned up claiming to be from Microsoft. Under his instruction she enabled 'remote assistance' a.k.a. 'let me take over your computer, lock you out of it, and demand a ransom'! Only at that point did she suspect that something was wrong, but by then it was too late. She had to pay a computer shop £50 to reinstall Windows for her. She isn't stupid, just way too trusting!

I’m about to send my details to a Nigerian prince. All he wants to do is use my bank account to park several million dollars temporarily. I’ll get 6 million US dollars for my help. What’s not to like? 6 million US dollars, for just supplying my bank account details, that’s real, it’s a steal, it’s the deal of the century.

Venod

Eh up
Anyway, back to scams... A friend of mine got scammed by someone who phoned up claiming to be from Microsoft. Under his instruction she enabled 'remote assistance' a.k.a. 'let me take over your computer, lock you out of it, and demand a ransom'! Only at that point did she suspect that something was wrong, but by then it was too late. She had to pay a computer shop £50 to reinstall Windows for her. She isn't stupid, just way too trusting!

I don't receive these calls anymore, I loved going along with them, sometimes I wouldn't even have the computer switched on, but I told them I was following their instructions to the letter, it usually ended with them swearing at me when they figured out I was just wasting ther time.
One of their favourite tricks is to get you to press a combination of keys to bring up the Event Viewer which is full of things that has happend in the day to day running of your computer, of course they try to portray these as disasters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I have just received this email from a US Telco asking for details of a call that went through our system last year, their customer pad $74,000 after receiving a call with this message

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/844-244-9290

It is safe to click, it just plays a recording which took them in.

D

Deleted member 1258

You must be relatively young then! :okay:

Our first TVs were chunky and full of hot valves which used to pack up at least once a year. In the early stages of decline, valves could often be nudged back into life by hitting the top of the set. Eventually though, that DIY repair attempt would kill the set altogether and TV repairman would be sent for (they were all men in those days...).

Valve replacement was easy, but because the back of the set was such a hot environment other components also used to fail on a fairly regular basis. Finding and replacing them was not quite so easy. Sometimes the set would be taken away for a day or two to be sorted out back at the TV shop.

When transistor-based sets came along they were much more reliable, but still serviceable.

Modern sets are very reliable so I imagine that there are not any TV repairmen/women left. Surface-mounted integrated circuits are not things that you really want to mess about with in any case so it is probably more realistic to either just plug a whole new panel in, or just replace the set. It isn't 'green', but that's the reality of it.

I worked for a local TV shop in the 1970's, ran the stores supplying their workshop, I got to know the signs that my TV was about have a valve failure and used to change the valve myself.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We have a way to beat phone calls.We don't answer it.It goes through to the please leave a message.The calls then go off.If they can't be bothered to talk, leave a message i can't be bothered to pick up the phone.
Same here, but I enter a lot of competitions. In the terms and conditions of many of them it is stated that they will attempt to contact you several times, however if they can't get hold of you then the prize will be given to someone else...

Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring ring... (I don't recognise the number so I don't answer - probably someone trying to scam me/sell me something.)
[Time passes...]

Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring ring... (I don't recognise the number so I don't answer - probably someone trying to scam me/sell me something.)
[Time passes...]

Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring ring... (I don't recognise the number so I don't answer. PLEASE STOP RINGING, YOU ANNOYING PERSON!)
[Time passes...]

I happen to be checking my email...

"Dear ColinJ, we have been trying to call you today to tell you that you have won £1,000 in our recent competition..."

Oh, er, phew - I nearly missed the deadline. I emailed a reply and found that it was genuine! :smile:

Top Bottom