Scammers alert - timely reminder, if it were needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ripple

Veteran
The best one I've ever had was a phone call saying "There's a police warrant issued with your name. If you want to cancel this warrant press 1". Something different from all those unknown relatives in Nigeria (why it's always Nigeria??? There are more countries on the map ... or Google) and "your last phone bill couldn't be processed blah blah blah".

A short while ago we have problems with our internet and TV link

actually ended up having to register a formal complaint etc etc

so when, a month or so later, we got a phone call about our Internet link it sounded like it could be real

so I talked to them for a while - go personal details just let them go through the 'tests'
they were working up to a point where they were about to ask be to run the event log viewer on my laptop
which - as I have been working as an IT Technician since the 1980s - I know always flags loads of warning and errors - and I stopped them - serious thing - the kettle had boiled, I had made a cuppa, drunk it - so now I was getting bored (I do that - short attention span with BS)

several red flags
getting me to check WWW speed over wifi
getting me to check WWW speed when I had said that there were 10 other devices running through the system
all something no proper IT person would ask for

I finally managed to contact my ISP directly - no registered on my line - no record of any call to me
It was not them

but over the next few weeks we had an ever increasing numebr of calls claiming to be from the ISP

I have no idea why the persist

maybe they are hoping that last time they get a young person
next time they may get a confused older person
of someone else who is vulnerable

anyway - after several weeks - they seem to have stopped
now I just have to worry about that police car that is coming to arrest me for non payment of tax - must be coming from Scotland because it has been a while now

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I got this text today. Most definitely a scam as I'm not expecting anything via UPS and amazon would message me via their app.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I always wonder how it is people receive or see all these scams. Nothing ever appears in my Inbox, no scam calls on the mobile, no scam texts and we only answer the landline if the number is recognised. There's one forum I visit occasionally which displays banner ads based on recent Google searches but that's it.

Other than using a password manager I do nothing special. I can only imagine people leave traces of their activity when on the web.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I get very few by email, as my spam filters work well. I rarely get any on the mobile either. Just coincidental that one turned up this afternoon.
I did away with a telephone on my landline ages ago..

I always wonder how it is people receive or see all these scams. Nothing ever appears in my Inbox, no scam calls on the mobile, no scam texts and we only answer the landline if the number is recognised. There's one forum I visit occasionally which displays banner ads based on recent Google searches but that's it.

Other than using a password manager I do nothing special. I can only imagine people leave traces of their activity when on the web.
Sometimes you get onto a list for no apparent reason

then at some point in the future you start getting calls - there is often n you start getting callso connection that you can see because there are gaps in the timeline

sometimes they seem to just create lists of random numbers that may or may not be phone numbers and a call system rings them and analyses the result for sale later
hence you could get a phone call tomorrow - don't answer but the ring tone is enough to confirm it is real
then some time later it rings again and you answer - but they hang up
so - that number is now more valuable

then it goes on a list on teh dark net (or something) - maybe a year ;ater it gets sold - them after a while

bagpuss

Guru
Fake Norton anti virus scam doing the rounds .Several email saying my account is about to expire
.I need to...Bah Bal ....etc I do not use Norton:wacko::boxing:

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I can usually recognise the scams as they tend to come to an email address which I don't use for Amazon/ebay/whatever.
I did almost reply to one appeal for help in moving several million $$ out of a third world country. I usually ignore them but this one came from a guy called Wang Qing! I thought, "surely he wouldn't make that up"

Top Bottom