Scandal at York University

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
According to today's Times, several people have been nabbed at York University taking exams for other people. An investment banker is awaiting sentence and several others have already been sentenced.

Can we trust any York degree? :smile: Did Canrider get Bonj to do his Ph.D for him. :angry::ohmy:

Canrider

Guru
Edit: Huh. And now they're musing about using biometrics :smile:

It's a fair point: most university exam situations would be easy to defraud using the system these two employed: University IDs aren't exactly passport-level secure, exam invigilators rarely know the students taking the exam personally, and tutors are generally discouraged from being in the exam room, in case they give something away to the students, either on purpose or by accident.

Canrider

Guru
Note to readers: Several people = 2 + 2 accomplices.

edit, seeing my new sig: So that'll be five, then. :smile:

spindrift

Happy days, a litre and a half of 8% Strongbow was £1.50, we'd carry tables and chairs onto the frozen lake and cook beans on toast. Quakers founded the University IIRC and stipulated the bed width to be less than normal to discourage hanky panky and how's your father.

Not that it stopped anyone.

ChrisKH

Guru
spindrift said:
Happy days, a litre and a half of 8% Strongbow was £1.50, we'd carry tables and chairs onto the frozen lake and cook beans on toast. Quakers founded the University IIRC and stipulated the bed width to be less than normal to discourage hanky panky and how's your father.

Not that it stopped anyone.

The beds at Froebel teacher training college (University of Slurry Surrey) were thus designed (used to be a convent apparently) but it wasn't a problem. I spent two nights in seven 'sharing' one of these reduced width beds. I fell out a couple of times but it wasn't exactly a Leslie Ash incident :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
Edit: Huh. And now they're musing about using biometrics :rolleyes:

It's a fair point: most university exam situations would be easy to defraud using the system these two employed: University IDs aren't exactly passport-level secure, exam invigilators rarely know the students taking the exam personally, and tutors are generally discouraged from being in the exam room, in case they give something away to the students, either on purpose or by accident.

Oh. For a minute I thought you were casting aspersions on my PhD subject, but you mean ID card wise...

Sorry, I'm just imagining some of our department tutors trying to help someone fiddle a Theory in Archaeology exam by miming the content of Trigger's A History of Archaeological Thought (aka the best cure for insomnia, ever.) There were one or two of them never gave much away in lectures, let alone exams....;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This is old news surely. Anyone for a moment there I thought this was a proper scandal like the abolition of supermodules at York! I sat very many exams and lecturers were there a very high proportion of the time.

Top Bottom