1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scandal at York University

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Cycling Naturalist, 22 Jan 2008.

1. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

According to today's Times, several people have been nabbed at York University taking exams for other people. An investment banker is awaiting sentence and several others have already been sentenced.

Can we trust any York degree? :smile: Did Canrider get Bonj to do his Ph.D for him. :angry::ohmy:

2. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Edit: Huh. And now they're musing about using biometrics :smile:

It's a fair point: most university exam situations would be easy to defraud using the system these two employed: University IDs aren't exactly passport-level secure, exam invigilators rarely know the students taking the exam personally, and tutors are generally discouraged from being in the exam room, in case they give something away to the students, either on purpose or by accident.

3. Carwash

Carwash Señor Member

Patrick, do you mean 'The University of York' (UK) or 'York University' (Canada)?

4. OP
    OP
    Cycling Naturalist

The University of York.

5. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Note to readers: Several people = 2 + 2 accomplices.

edit, seeing my new sig: So that'll be five, then. :smile:

6. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Happy days, a litre and a half of 8% Strongbow was £1.50, we'd carry tables and chairs onto the frozen lake and cook beans on toast. Quakers founded the University IIRC and stipulated the bed width to be less than normal to discourage hanky panky and how's your father.

Not that it stopped anyone.

7. OP
    OP
    Cycling Naturalist

I hope you haven't got a vested interest in playing down the extent of this cheating. :smile:

8. Canrider

Canrider Guru

I can confidently state that I've never sat an examination at the University of York. :smile:

9. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

The beds at Froebel teacher training college (University of Slurry Surrey) were thus designed (used to be a convent apparently) but it wasn't a problem. I spent two nights in seven 'sharing' one of these reduced width beds. I fell out a couple of times but it wasn't exactly a Leslie Ash incident :smile:

10. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Oh. For a minute I thought you were casting aspersions on my PhD subject, but you mean ID card wise...

Sorry, I'm just imagining some of our department tutors trying to help someone fiddle a Theory in Archaeology exam by miming the content of Trigger's A History of Archaeological Thought (aka the best cure for insomnia, ever.) There were one or two of them never gave much away in lectures, let alone exams....;)

11. OP
    OP
    Cycling Naturalist

Good for you - it seems that some poor buggers have been sitting hundreds. ;)

12. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

scullion scholars?

13. OP
    OP
    Cycling Naturalist

I thought they were only at prestigious establishments?

Rapidly legs it from the Wrath of Arch. ;)

14. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

This is old news surely. Anyone for a moment there I thought this was a proper scandal like the abolition of supermodules at York! I sat very many exams and lecturers were there a very high proportion of the time.

15. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Supermodels at York?

Is that because of the bed size?