Scantily dressed girls ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Freeze to death? The soft Southern Jessies.

Here's the Geordie temperature scale in Fahrenheit - non of that new fangled Centigrade 5hite thank you very much.

50 degrees - Southerners turn on their heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

40 - Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe.

20 - Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats. People in Newcastle throw on a t-shirt and girls wear mini skirts.

Zero - Southern landlords turn up the heat. People in Newcastle have a last BBQ before it gets cold.

Minus 10 - Southerners cease to exist. People in Newcastle throw on a light jacket.

Minus 80 - Polar bears wonder if it is all worth it. Boy Scouts in Newcastle begin wearing long trousers.

Minus 100 - Santa abandons North Pole. People in Newcastle put on long johns.

Minus 173 - Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs shut.

Minus 297 - Microbial life starts to disappear. Cows in Newcastle farms complain of vets with cold hands.

Minus 460 - All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle begin to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

Minus 500 - Hell freezes over. Newcastle United win a trophy.]

Ganymede

Veteran
Freeze to death? The soft Southern Jessies.

Here's the Geordie temperature scale in Fahrenheit - non of that new fangled Centigrade 5hite thank you very much.

50 degrees - Southerners turn on their heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

40 - Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe.

20 - Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats. People in Newcastle throw on a t-shirt and girls wear mini skirts.

Zero - Southern landlords turn up the heat. People in Newcastle have a last BBQ before it gets cold.

Minus 10 - Southerners cease to exist. People in Newcastle throw on a light jacket.

Minus 80 - Polar bears wonder if it is all worth it. Boy Scouts in Newcastle begin wearing long trousers.

Minus 100 - Santa abandons North Pole. People in Newcastle put on long johns.

Minus 173 - Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs shut.

Minus 297 - Microbial life starts to disappear. Cows in Newcastle farms complain of vets with cold hands.

Minus 460 - All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle begin to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

Minus 500 - Hell freezes over. Newcastle United win a trophy.]
All true of course. I remember turning up to meet a northern friend in a London pub. It was snowing, I was wearing a wool suit, boots, coat, hat, scarf and gloves. He had chinos and a short-sleeved shirt. Mind you, we'd spent time in Borneo together where I had the distinct advantage!

On a sadder note though, I seem to remember a few years back a young lad dying on the moor in Newcastle, coming home from nightclubs wearing just trousers and a tee-shirt in sub-zero weather.

Peteaud

Veteran
It's no different to walking home from the pub wearing your invisible beer coat in the middle of winter. :smile:

But you also have your beer goggles on as well, so you are not alone!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There was a DJ on Radio Solent who used to walk across the common in the early hours, and used to see lots of scantily clad young ladies

He realised that he had reached a "certain age" when he became more concerned about their warmth and welfare

My wife realised that I'd reached that 'certain age' when one winter's night driving through Leeds City centre populated with scantily dressed young ladies and I exclaimed; "What would their dads say if they could seen them dressed like that?"

I realised that I'd thrown her off the scent when she laughed and said "Your age has finally caught up with you."

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
CO Jones
“Cloakrooms should be free to stop young women freezing to death.”
But surely cloakrooms are free to stop young women freezing to death, aren’t they? What’s stopping them?
Oh, I see: what you really meant was “Cloakrooms should be free, to stop young women freezing to death.”
Just in case there’s any doubt at the Speccie: those punctuation thingies, including commas, are there to help you get the meaning across. You should use them.
I liked this comment below the article. Someone should explain to Captain Pedantic that meaning can also be supplied by context, so missing punctuation isn't always a problem. I hate incorrect use of punctuation, but this guy needs to lighten up a bit, I think.

From the comments:
Given the number of abandoned women's shoes I've seen on a Sunday morning, perhaps a shoe-replacement scheme would be in order?

In Portsmouth they do!

We have "Street Pastors" who amongst other things hand out free flip flops to replace lost shoes, or even to provide a more comfortable walk home!

brand

I fell or rode into a dyke once, there was a small stream running down it. It was full of those creeping type thorn bushes. As I was struggling to get out with the bike on top of me with wheels visible from the road, I decided to wait for a passing car driver to help me out. Of course on the one occasion you could do with a motorist! Although it wasn't mid winter a stream running down the inside of your jacket was beginning to make me a bit chilly. Luckily it was cold out so I had a decent jacket on and wasn't to cut up to much by the thorns. I also decided to walk up the rest of the steep hill.

At that age, the risk are pretty much acceptable. The dress is first and foremost the main and in many instances the only event and they take a lot of effort planning and putting together. And it will goes into the book of memorable events when they older and couple of kids in tow and know they had their days of fun and adventure. My heart goes out to them.

Top Bottom