Scar tissue in legs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Maybe pay for some sports massage too :smile:

Hydrotherapy can also be super successful for lower limb issues where 'land' physio is less successful

Even DiY hydrotherapy (check with your physio first) is very beneficial.

My pre hab and post ACL op rehab included, walking two 20 m lengths of the pool, 10 squats in the pool - repeat 10/20 times. Working against the resistance of the water with the water taking the weight was fantastic.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This accurately describes my situation at the moment. I'm so glad to be back on the bike and pedalling strongly, having broken my femur earlier in the year, but I'm still limping. I saw an ortho registrar last week and asked him about it. At the time, I thought his reply, 'concentrate on not limping' was flippant, but in retrospect it was good advice. At least part of the fix, for me, is to 'unlearn' the habit of limping.
The bad thing with my leg is that the bone didn't heal so after 8 months they removed the original intramedullary nail and after 'reaming' the inside of the bone out inserted a bigger pin in there. One thing the Consultant Surgeon did say though was it was a " Very Nasty Break", now I figure he's seen a few and before my 2nd op asked if it not healing was due to me being
  • Over 50
  • A heavy smoker
  • A heavy drinker
He told me this wasn't necessarily so but to help after the 2nd op I packed up fags and booze for 3 months but apparently the great big metal bar pin that's in there now almost replaces the bone structurally in fact I was allowed to go 'fully weight-bearing' on the leg the day after the 2nd op.

I'm incredibly grateful that I didn't break my femur reading all your replies. I can't even imagine where I would be now had that happened, I was very fortunate that I was young and so the bone didn't break, they repaired my thigh muscle and the more I exercise the better it is. Just a nuisance that my other leg is now playing up. Thanks for all the replies I think trying not to limp and exercises is a great place to start.

I haven't had a day 'pain-free' since (over 3yrs since the 2nd op) and can only walk about a quarter of a mile before I have to stop due to this which given that my hobbies were hill-walking and cycling has been a bit of a 'downer'. At least breaking my leg didn't kill me though.

Top Bottom