Scar tissue in legs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
I have an old injury in my right thigh which left a fair amount of scar tissue.

Surprisingly I'm now getting no issues from that leg which I'm over the moon about.

However over last 6 months I've been suffering in the knee and calf of my other leg after exercise and physio reckons its an over compensation from the other leg.

All they can do is give me exercises to perform in the hope this will sort it out.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced similar.

Well I would perform the exercises that your physio has suggested. If that does not work go back or seek further professional advice and be prepared to pay.
I have a recurring back issue which when it flairs up I pay to see a osteopath who sorts me out. Sponsor Yourself.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I broke my right tib and fib some years ago and had a Ti nail and screws for a few years. The Xray looked like a TV arial. I was about the only person in South Wales who could pick up Channel 5 at that time

I too found myself "favoring the other leg" even after having the metal taken out and, as a result, had terrible problems with my left knee.

It took quite a few years to "even out" so to speak - cycling did help enormously, but still to this day, I have to push myself to use the right leg as much as the left.

Occupational therapy was a laugh though - being made to pedal a wood lathe, but not allowed to touch or actually make anything, for health and safety reasons.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, after snapping my left femur my right leg has been doing a lot more work whilst standing/getting out of chairs etc. Luckily I was aware of the danger of limping after having knee surgery on my left knee (torn cartiledge) about 10yrs previously that I was able to put the same amount of weight on each foot whilst walking (once you learn how to limp it takes a lot to 'unlearn' it) but my right leg does take a bit of a 'hammering' with stairs etc.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Well I would perform the exercises that your physio has suggested. If that does not work go back or seek further professional advice and be prepared to pay.
I have a recurring back issue which when it flairs up I pay to see a osteopath who sorts me out. Sponsor Yourself.

I'll be doing what I'm told. Was planning on seeing an osteo soon also so will make sure I do, thanks.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I broke my right tib and fib some years ago and had a Ti nail and screws for a few years. The Xray looked like a TV arial. I was about the only person in South Wales who could pick up Channel 5 at that time

I too found myself "favoring the other leg" even after having the metal taken out and, as a result, had terrible problems with my left knee.

It took quite a few years to "even out" so to speak - cycling did help enormously, but still to this day, I have to push myself to use the right leg as much as the left.

Occupational therapy was a laugh though - being made to pedal a wood lathe, but not allowed to touch or actually make anything, for health and safety reasons.

Thanks, good to hear that you've had some success with it all.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Yep, after snapping my left femur my right leg has been doing a lot more work whilst standing/getting out of chairs etc. Luckily I was aware of the danger of limping after having knee surgery on my left knee (torn cartiledge) about 10yrs previously that I was able to put the same amount of weight on each foot whilst walking (once you learn how to limp it takes a lot to 'unlearn' it) but my right leg does take a bit of a 'hammering' with stairs etc.

Wasn't even aware I was limping I've just got used to walking like this. I'll have to try thinking about the weight in each foot more. I'm a horse rider and it's very noticeable in the saddle. Left leg is great right one is awful.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I've been lucky with Physiotherapists, after my knee surgery (which was done at a private hospital but by the same surgeon as I'd seen at the NHS and funded by them also) I travelled to the Physio session on my bike so didn't get put on the exercise bike (She asked me how I'd got there and when I said "by bike" she replied "I thought so" but maybe the Lycra was a bit of a hint)

After I broke my leg I was lucky enough to have a Physiotherapist who'd seen me a couple of times previously when I'd broken Collarbones, in fact Paul asked me "which one this time" and was shocked when I told him I'd snapped my Femur and this time it hadn't happened on the bike.
The one thing he did do though was get me to walk on a 'sprung' wooden Gymnasium floor so that he could hear the difference between each footstep landing which he said was pretty even (that's when I told him about having knee surgery and me knowing about not limping even if walking 'normally' was painful.)

Hardrock93

Guru
This accurately describes my situation at the moment. I'm so glad to be back on the bike and pedalling strongly, having broken my femur earlier in the year, but I'm still limping. I saw an ortho registrar last week and asked him about it. At the time, I thought his reply, 'concentrate on not limping' was flippant, but in retrospect it was good advice. At least part of the fix, for me, is to 'unlearn' the habit of limping.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
In an attempt to stop my limping - the doc I saw actually made me walk with my walking stick in the other hand.
It worked to some extent.

My wife says she can tell when I am tired, by how I walk. Apparently I still limp, not that I notice myself though - it was 15 years ago I had the accident

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe pay for some sports massage too :smile:

Hydrotherapy can also be super successful for lower limb issues where 'land' physio is less successful

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Go swimming, that will help strengthen your legs up. I've got a bad foot/ankle and I've started returning to the pool and I run up and down in the water as well as doing lots of kicking from the sides.

I do twice a week already but maybe should do some running in the pool also,thanks

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I'm incredibly grateful that I didn't break my femur reading all your replies. I can't even imagine where I would be now had that happened, I was very fortunate that I was young and so the bone didn't break, they repaired my thigh muscle and the more I exercise the better it is. Just a nuisance that my other leg is now playing up. Thanks for all the replies I think trying not to limp and exercises is a great place to start.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
In an attempt to stop my limping - the doc I saw actually made me walk with my walking stick in the other hand.
It worked to some extent.

My wife says she can tell when I am tired, by how I walk. Apparently I still limp, not that I notice myself though - it was 15 years ago I had the accident

My accident was 18 years ago, it seems the fitter I get the better it is but the worse my other leg is getting.

Top Bottom