Recovering from tired legs

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

As I cycle along thinking of this and that I come up with all kinds of nonsense. One of which is a mechanical analogy for fueling the body. I've never written this down before, so it's probably more stupid than I think it is.

The body is a hybrid car.
It has a small petrol engine for fast accelerations. This has a small fuel tank that it can be refilled quite quickly. Unfortunately the spark plugs don't last all that long and once they burn out you can't use it any more.
Most of the power comes from the battery. This lasts for a long time but it also takes a long time to recharge. You can recharge it on the road by only a small amount. A full recharge can only be done in the garage.
However the battery system does have an efficient battery-saver mode. Once charge gets down to a certain limit you can still carry on for quite a while but at greatly reduced power. Also unimportant peripheral systems like your brain and ability to navigate properly might get shut down.
Then there's the lubrication system. Unfortunately the engine slowly leaks oil. Once the bearings seize up a visit to the garage (ie a good night's sleep) is needed.

Interesting analogy.

It's really hard somehow to do the 2nd bit. I'm going out tomorrow so will put this theory to test.

Don't worry, you're not the only one.[It's probably the only useful thing I really got out of my heart-rate monitors when I used them, if I'm really honest.]
Good luck!

yello

Interesting analogy.

It's a great analogy. I found myself nodding, thinking 'yep, I can buy that'.

I've never been able to do the 'slow down' thing. I mean, I can start doing it but it takes discipline (which I am genetically poor at) and I soon find myself back to where I was. I have never 'trained' intelligently. I don't think I even train as such. I just knock myself out and repeat. I end up being able to do it for longer. I guess it's a training methodology of sorts.

So what I have learnt chimes with that analogy. When the battery is flat (i.e. legs burnt out, shoulders dropped, 'just get home' mode enabled, contemplate wife on speed dial) then the only thing that resolves that is a shower, a feed and a damned good kip.

Top Bottom