Recovering from tired legs

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't seem to 'bonk' exactly as I'm OK with fuelling. I know what a bonk feels like and this is not that, it's just the legs feeling like there's no power left.

I normally ride solo. Will be doing a century ride (imperial) soon. I've done it several times now, and each time at around 50-60 miles mark I hit the wall and it's pain afterwards till the end. Obviously I know I can't avoid pain altogether, but perhaps manage it better, make it come on a bit more slowly.

I don't think you're bonking, my feeling would be this is fatigue and lack of stamina**. Your second paragraph is the interesting one, especially the bit I've highlighted. My question would be why? Why shouldn't you avoid pain? To ride uncomfortably for 40/50 miles suggests stamina is the issue. Personally I wouldn't expect to experience pain over that distance and neither would my regular cycling buddies. I've seen this happen to people and it's because they don't have the core stamina and become very fatigued.

Hydration and food are very important during any long ride. On a century ride I would bonk without proper attention to both but this doesn't cause me pain, it does leave me wiped out.

On a bad day towards the end of a ride I do slow on climbs but only through fatigue. The time when I'd experience a few minutes pain would be on a major climb but that goes very quickly.

** I'm not suggesting you lack stamina more that you haven't built it to a level to allow you to ride a century comfortably. Lots of Z2 miles is the answer.

Cycling is basically all about Z2. Lots of nice steady rhythm, eating up the miles, as one gets stronger average speed increases. This saves strength and energy for when it's really needed.

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
What gear are you pushing? This problem reminds me of my early days when I had not found the kilometre-eater gears that transformed long rides to a question of time rather than effort. My sweet gear is around 5.6 metres (42x16 on 27" wheels) and a lot of my co-riders like something just a tad higher around 5.7 metres (48x18 on 27" wheels). If you are not already defaulting to a gear in this range give it a try. It might seem way too low at first but when you get to the 100k mark you might suddenly discover what it is all about.

yello

A cure for tired legs is rest. Muscles have their limits, and need to repair, but they do get stronger with continued exercise over time. Sadly, no amount of sugar will magically repair legs that have done their dash.

And then there are just days when there's nothing there, and days when there is. Wish I could work that one out!

DogmaStu

As others have stated: fatigue.

You’ve reached the edge of your current fitness level for that ride or from accumulated rides over consecutive days.

Rest from riding, build up energy stores, go again.

True ‘bonking’ is different, no amount of food etc will help in the short term. Legs can be still good, but zero energy. That needs time for larger substantial meals to be properly digested rather than quick fix sugary stuff.

Mattk50

MattK50
Sorry to hijack the thread but whenever I cycle then my legs ache 12 hours later usually when I'm asleep which is really annoying as it wakes me up for ages. I stretch before and after and cycle vigorously 3 times a week.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I don't think you're bonking, my feeling would be this is fatigue and lack of stamina**. Your second paragraph is the interesting one, especially the bit I've highlighted. My question would be why? Why shouldn't you avoid pain? To ride uncomfortably for 40/50 miles suggests stamina is the issue. Personally I wouldn't expect to experience pain over that distance and neither would my regular cycling buddies. I've seen this happen to people and it's because they don't have the core stamina and become very fatigued.

Hydration and food are very important during any long ride. On a century ride I would bonk without proper attention to both but this doesn't cause me pain, it does leave me wiped out.

On a bad day towards the end of a ride I do slow on climbs but only through fatigue. The time when I'd experience a few minutes pain would be on a major climb but that goes very quickly.

** I'm not suggesting you lack stamina more that you haven't built it to a level to allow you to ride a century comfortably. Lots of Z2 miles is the answer.

Cycling is basically all about Z2. Lots of nice steady rhythm, eating up the miles, as one gets stronger average speed increases. This saves strength and energy for when it's really needed.

Good point. What I mean is given my current stamina, but you're right, there's no reason why one couldn't build up the stamina and avoid pain even on a century ride.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

What gear are you pushing? This problem reminds me of my early days when I had not found the kilometre-eater gears that transformed long rides to a question of time rather than effort. My sweet gear is around 5.6 metres (42x16 on 27" wheels) and a lot of my co-riders like something just a tad higher around 5.7 metres (48x18 on 27" wheels). If you are not already defaulting to a gear in this range give it a try. It might seem way too low at first but when you get to the 100k mark you might suddenly discover what it is all about.

Good tip, thanks. I'm already somewhere round that range, but I could slow down even further to build up stamina and increase average speed gradually.

DogmaStu

Sorry to hijack the thread but whenever I cycle then my legs ache 12 hours later usually when I'm asleep which is really annoying as it wakes me up for ages. I stretch before and after and cycle vigorously 3 times a week.

DOMS!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Normal after a session of exercise where the intensity or volume has been a bit more than normal. Rebuilding process.

Mattk50

MattK50
DOMS!

Normal after a session of exercise where the intensity or volume has been a bit more than normal. Rebuilding process.

Just wakes me up. I never exercise on Sundays for this reason. I sleep badly anyway on Sundays (new week and all that) so the last thing I need is two hours tossing and turning because my calves ache to hell.

CXRAndy

Guru
What are your tips for recovery when you've done about 50 miles, your legs feel like jelly and every pedal stroke brings a world of pain? Eat something sugary? Rest for 10 mins? Or just plod on until it feels better?

That means you've depleted your glycogen from your muscles. That's why its painful. Better fuelling strategy to help maintain your reserves. Also more longer rides will condition your body to the effort. You will still need to work out a fuelling strategy.

Eat something and have a short rest, not too long or you will seize up

Jameshow

Veteran
DOMS!

2 days later is the worst point.

Worse after really hard effort like a 3hr marathon or 5hr century where you have been working hard for an extended period of time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That means you've depleted your glycogen from your muscles. That's why its painful. Better fuelling strategy to help maintain your reserves. Also more longer rides will condition your body to the effort. You will still need to work out a fuelling strategy.

Eat something and have a short rest, not too long or you will seize up
Couple of pints work wonders too, (Beer is 'Isotonic') and some peanuts or a Pork Pie go down fine

alicat

Legendary Member
Tell us about your history of cycling. How long you have been cycling, how often you go out, how often you have a rest day, how far you go and how long it takes and what the terrain is like, what type of bike you ride, how fast you go, what you eat and drink on the way and any stops etc?

Otherwise we're shooting in the dark.....

Top Bottom