Recovering from tired legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tripletail52

What are your tips for recovery when you've done about 50 miles, your legs feel like jelly and every pedal stroke brings a world of pain? Eat something sugary? Rest for 10 mins? Or just plod on until it feels better?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Can of full fat coke

a.twiddler

Veteran
A lot depends on how much further you've got to go, how much daylight is left, if you're on your own or with other riders, especially if they're stronger/faster. A lot of it is psychological, but if you're suffering from the dreaded "bonk" or low blood sugar, as @Supersuperleeds says, a can of full fat Coke or Pepsi, or a Mars bar can bring you back from feeling like you're about to die, to something like normal in a very short time.

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

I don't seem to 'bonk' exactly as I'm OK with fuelling. I know what a bonk feels like and this is not that, it's just the legs feeling like there's no power left.

I normally ride solo. Will be doing a century ride (imperial) soon. I've done it several times now, and each time at around 50-60 miles mark I hit the wall and it's pain afterwards till the end. Obviously I know I can't avoid pain altogether, but perhaps manage it better, make it come on a bit more slowly.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't seem to 'bonk' exactly as I'm OK with fuelling. I know what a bonk feels like and this is not that, it's just the legs feeling like there's no power left.

I normally ride solo. Will be doing a century ride (imperial) soon. I've done it several times now, and each time at around 50-60 miles mark I hit the wall and it's pain afterwards till the end. Obviously I know I can't avoid pain altogether, but perhaps manage it better, make it come on a bit more slowly.

Isn't that bonking?

OP
OP
tripletail52

tripletail52

Isn't that bonking?

As far as I know, no. When I'm lazy with shoving sugar down the throat, I bonk and it feels awful. What I'm talking about is when I feel OK globally but the legs are lacking power. Suddenly a 3% hill feels like 15%, that's what I'm talking about.

a.twiddler

Veteran
As far as I know, no. When I'm lazy with shoving sugar down the throat, I bonk and it feels awful. What I'm talking about is when I feel OK globally but the legs are lacking power. Suddenly a 3% hill feels like 15%, that's what I'm talking about.
That sounds like incipient "bonk" to me. If you go well on the flat or downhill but as soon as you meet a slight uphill you have no power it's a warning to at least top up on a sugary snack in the short term before you become weak and wobbly and lose concentration, or plan a stop for something that will break down more slowly and give you continuing energy. It sounds like you need to stage your ride to match your energy needs -everyone is different. Maybe pace yourself, take it easier early on so you have more in your tank for later.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm familiar with this. My experience is that I can continue in survival mode but getting off the bike and putting your feet up is the real cure. Stopping for something to eat and drink (especially drink) can keep you going but the key is beating the mental demons. A rest is a handy way to sort your head out as well as your body. Riding longer distances is mostly (or at leat somewhat) in the head. Just keep on trucking. Embrace the misery.

I don't think it's related to "bonking". As I understand it that's sudden loss of energy due to low glycogen after exertion, and can be fixed with a sugar intake. It's something that happens to athletes - therefore it's never happened to me. ;) This is a gradual fade as you get tired on a long ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom