Scary Moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The old A road out of our town was a narrow twisty hilly type of road heavily trafficked.Great fun to ride at 0500 on a summer sunday but a nasty experience any other time.

A new A road has recently been built alongside it allowing car drivers to break the speed limit and text their mates in much greater safety. This has left the old road blocked at both ends only used as access to local farms.

I decided to ride the old road while the tarmac is still fairly smooth it was a joy riding hard into the twisty turny bits with barely a motor vehicle to worry about. Swooping downhill through series of bends at about 55kph I rounded the last bend and found myself flying along still downhill but now on a thick carpet of soggy leaves eek.

Didn't dare touch the brakes just had to cling on to the bottom of the hill then let gravity scrub the speed off as the road went upwards again.Didnt come off amazingly but certainly wiped the big grin off my face.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Well done, not falling off, @Banjo .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds like mountain biking - tearing down hill, and realise there is a big drop off you've not encountered before. Thank god for 4 pot disks and knobbly tyres. :wacko: Had to 'jump' down the drop with bike in hand, had I not stopped, I reccon I'd have been at least 10 feet in the air.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Done that too. Tearing along some single-track near a quarry and came across a section that had sheer-dropped 15 feet

Too late to hit the brakes, just go with it. Luckily I nailed it and had enough momentum to help me pedal up the other side.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

This sign was presumably intended to encourage safe driving. Not sure how effective it was ,the sign is still in place on what is now a barely used bit of road.

Top Bottom