Scary stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My dad was ground crew on nuclear capable and often loaded ready to go Vulcans and his brother was crew chief on Vulcans as well. He once or twice spoke of it. I sensed it didn't sit easily with him, the terrible potential, the need to be ever ready and for the squadrons involved it must have been very very real to them, something that must have weighed heavily for those that had kids and family,
Literally one of my earliest memories was the noise Vulcans made when they used to take off from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus. I haven't thought about that in years.

Trades and all, but Pa Bollo never had much to do with the offensive end of nuclear deterrence and I don't think he'd be capable of literally pressing the button. He would have had the responsibly of ringing Cheyenne Mountain to tell the Yanks it was all kicking off and would they mind terribly if they lobbed a few Minutemen up. Talking to him now, he's not sure how he would have handled the real thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pa Bollo spent the last years of his RAF 'career' (he joined to play football in hot countries) in the mid '80s at RAF Fylingdales, literally waiting to be the first non-Russian to see it all go Dr Strangelove.

S'weird how as a young'n it was just my dad's job, but I was describing to some friends how I used to play war with my dad's gas mask and NBC suit. Lots of wrong looks around the dinner table.

There was a service version called something like 'Survive to Fight'. I can find references to it on the interbob but not an online copy. It might have been classified. We had it in the loo.
This? https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Survive_To_Fight

Immediate Action Drill - Nuclear
Sadly the correct drill for actions on when a Nuke gets dropped is omitted so here it is.

• Lie down some where comfortable.
  • Tuck your head firmly between your legs.
  • Kiss your arse good bye.
  • Die

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This? https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Survive_To_Fight

Immediate Action Drill - Nuclear
Sadly the correct drill for actions on when a Nuke gets dropped is omitted so here it is.

• Lie down some where comfortable.
  • Tuck your head firmly between your legs.
  • Kiss your arse good bye.
  • Die
I remember reading exactly that on the notice board of the Ops room of RAF West Drayton during a family open day when I was 10. Not encouraging. Not encouraging at all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pa Bollo spent the last years of his RAF 'career' (he joined to play football in hot countries) in the mid '80s at RAF Fylingdales, literally waiting to be the first non-Russian to see it all go Dr Strangelove.

S'weird how as a young'n it was just my dad's job, but I was describing to some friends how I used to play war with my dad's gas mask and NBC suit. Lots of wrong looks around the dinner table.

There was a service version called something like 'Survive to Fight'. I can find references to it on the interbob but not an online copy. It might have been classified. We had it in the loo.
Re-issued in 2010.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Being born in the late 60's I was growing up during pinnacle of the Cold War during the late 70's, first couple of years of the 80's.

This was a time of colour - colour TV, bright clothing, hope in society with increasing wages, burgeoning car ownership etc, yet that was all countered by the constant grey and foreboding international political scene. Call Mr an old fool, but I'm nostalgic for it.

Reactions: gbb

classic33

Leg End Member
Being born in the late 60's I was growing up during pinnacle of the Cold War during the late 70's, first couple of years of the 80's.

This was a time of colour - colour TV, bright clothing, hope in society with increasing wages, burgeoning car ownership etc, yet that was all countered by the constant grey and foreboding international political scene. Call Mr an old fool, but I'm nostalgic for it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGdgNZF_fg

It's a case of

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mrbeCuDp9o

Was out with friends at the weekend, one getting quite animated that Leconfield had apparently housed nukes at some point.
Him:"It would have been a prime target"
Me:"It's a military base. It's a prime target anyway."
Him:"But they had nukes - first strike"
Me: "It's a military base. It's a prime target regardless of the nukes..."
etc.etc.
Me: "and we live in Hull. A port. Your're not really getting this are you?"

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In live near Hanslope Park, though thankfully not as close as I used so will be in the sheet when the bomb drops. The real life equivalent of Q Branch is based their, so I'm guessing the North Koreans be keen to smite it.

On then other hand, Kim Jong In must surely know I'm a big fan of his work, so will spare me?

Top Bottom