Scenic Forest of Bowland forum ride,108 km (67 miles) from Waddington, Sat 21st August 2021.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh go on Colin. You know you want to.
I'm fairly confident that he really, really doesn't ;-)

Adam4868

Guru
Love to join you on this sometime...but stuck for work on Saturdays at moment...as well as serious lack of fitness on the bike !
Love the trough though,looks like a good ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh go on Colin. You know you want to.
I'm fairly confident that he really, really doesn't ;-)
In another world (one where I haven't used Covid-19 as an excuse to avoid long rides for 18 months!) I would want to extend the ride, but... :whistle:

Also... I have ridden up and down the A646 hundreds of times (and been driven up and down it several thousand times) so I have had enough of it now. It is ok on shorter rides but having to do it before a longish ride and then do it again to get home... no thanks!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Not in this lifetime. Too expensive.
Decent ones are, yes!

I have seen conversion kits going for about £500, which is a bit more affordable (if you have £500 spare, that is)...

Hopefully if/when I need one they will either be a lot cheaper than they are now, or my financial situation will have improved enough by then!

Whilst the weather for the next week or so is generally unsettled and sort of low level rubbish, without being actively awful and ride-stopping, Saturday is the worst of a bad bunch of days in the F of B area. Wind speeds are pleasingly low, but it's the most showery of a sequence of showery days.

With that in mind - and clearly the detail is likely to change as we approach Saturday - how much flexibility for alternative days do the to-be-assembled throng have I wonder, that being me, @colly and @ColinJ ? I can do any day in the range Thursday - Monday and both Thursday and Monday look better than any of Friday-Sunday as it stands. There are plenty of days following that which I could do too.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I too would rather do the ride on a dry (or nearly dry) day with not much wind, and ideally some sunshine!

Given 24 hours notice, I could make it any day from Thu 19th to the end of the month so I would be happy to watch the forecasts and decide nearer the time.

I thought that the trains might be a problem on Sundays, but apparently not - I would still be able to get to Waddington by 11:10-11:15 unless Northern made last minute changes such as running rail replacement buses.

If @colly is flexible then we could change the date, and might even get more people to come on the ride by doing so? Better to do it sooner rather than later though or it could keep getting postponed and then not happen (as is looking possible for my Humber Bridge ride).

Let's wait to hear from @colly , but I can do any day up to Monday 29th with not much notice. At the moment, this Thursday, the 19th is 'good', and thereafter Tuesday 24th to Monday 30th are much the same, with light winds, 10% chance of rain throughout the day, and temperatures in the high teens. I can't go much beyond that as I have other commitments (albeit also weather-sensitive ones). I also concur on not postponing repeatedly.

If @colly can only do this Saturday, we should definitely stick with that (subject to actually bad weather anyway!).

Buck

Guru
Depending on the finalised date, I might be able to join the ride. All up in the air at present with work and also trying to sort eldest’s move to Preston for his graduate apprenticeship.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I dropped a hint to another pal (Bill) today but he didn't bite.

Pleased to hear Bill is still around.

He struck me as traditional roadman with a wealth of experience, so a very handy guy to have on the strength.

Independent minded - nothing wrong with that - so he is inclined to go his own way on group rides if the fancy takes.

Like all of us, I suppose he's getting on.

He told me he was finding it more difficult to get going again with each new season, so I'm not surprised he's trimming his distances.

Beasting the tops in that manor is a good effort for any rider.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Pleased to hear Bill is still around.

He struck me as traditional roadman with a wealth of experience, so a very handy guy to have on the strength.

Independent minded - nothing wrong with that - so he is inclined to go his own way on group rides if the fancy takes.

Like all of us, I suppose he's getting on.
He is a couple of years older than me so he has been enjoying his state pension for nearly 3 years (he just managed to get it at 65 before the qualifying age went up to 66).

Well I'm out since the leader has pretty much ruled out performance enhancing drugs*

If in the area will be tootling around solo - hello sheep, hello trees.

* espresso

colly

Re member eR
No problem for me changing dates. If it's brought forward I can do either Weds, Thursday or Friday. The only dates I can NOT do are Thursday 26th and Saturday 28th.
Other than those two dates.....................I'm anybodies.

Top Bottom