Scenic Forest of Bowland forum ride,108 km (67 miles) from Waddington, Sat 21st August 2021.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let's check several forecasts for Waddington and Wray on Wednesday for the days following and choose the first suitable day?

I usually look at the Met Office and BBC forecasts. If any of you want to look at other forecasts as well, that could be handy. If they all agree, that would be reassuring. If they all disagree, er.... :whistle: :wacko:

Agreed.
EDIT: Currently - and I'm looking at Slaidburn, the BBC favours Thursday and the Met Office is neutral between Thursday / Friday. Both would suggest that Saturday would be undesirable.

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
OK so NOW it seems this coming Friday is out too. :sad:

Other than that..................................

colly

Re member eR
@ColinJ . Has a decision been made as to which day is best?
Saturday looks so-so. As does Sunday. Monday or Tuesday look brighter.
I can make any of those.

I agree on Saturday/Sunday being no good due to rain. Last night, I was thinking either tomorrow or Tuesday looked best, and similar to each other. This morning, tomorrow looks less sunny (no sunshine at all) and about 3C cooler than Monday/Tuesday; and Monday/Tuesday look pretty much the same as each other; perhaps a little brighter on Tuesday. Wind speeds are much the same any day, so at least that's not a factor.

How about we reschedule to Monday/Tuesday and review the forecasts on Sunday to decide which? I'm happy to leave choosing which day 'til Sunday if you both are, @colly and @ColinJ .

colly

Re member eR
Good call about putting off today's ride until next week.^_^
Tuesday looks the better day at the moment.
Maybe see how the forecast changes over the next 36 hours.

It certainly seems to have been. It's raining here (on the route).

The BBC forecast for Monday / Tuesday looks actively rather nice :-) The Met Office rather less glowing, but still 'good'.

I was thinking that the forecasts are almost indistinguishable between Monday and Tuesday. If anything, the BBC slightly favours Tuesday and the Met Office slightly favours Monday (in both cases looking at Slaidburn and Wray). Personally, if they remain that close, I'd vote for Monday on the basis that Wednesday is also nice and I'd then feel able to do another ride on Wednesday. Happy to leave choosing 'til Sunday though.

As to meeting points. There's a bench by a phone box in the centre of Waddington. That's where I'm aiming for: here. What time are you both getting there? Colin's last statement was about 1100, from a train. Colly?

Oh! Also, the road is closed about 600m from Waddington. Colin found something ages ago saying that there would be pedestrian access. If there isn't, and I've not found that reference, I'll be doing a 7km extra bit so will be about 20m late, potentially :-\

By extreme (ish) coincidence I am back in the UK next week but not up Norf until Thursday. I’ll let you guys scout out the route and then I may retrace it a few days later, unless Colin’s legs are up to doing it twice in the same week😀 shame I could get there a few days earlier

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good call about putting off today's ride until next week.^_^
It was raining quite heavily here earlier. I was thinking that we would probably have been caught out in it over in the FoB if the ride had gone ahead today.

Tuesday looks the better day at the moment.
Maybe see how the forecast changes over the next 36 hours.

The BBC forecast for Monday / Tuesday looks actively rather nice :-) The Met Office rather less glowing, but still 'good'.

I was thinking that the forecasts are almost indistinguishable between Monday and Tuesday. If anything, the BBC slightly favours Tuesday and the Met Office slightly favours Monday (in both cases looking at Slaidburn and Wray). Personally, if they remain that close, I'd vote for Monday on the basis that Wednesday is also nice and I'd then feel able to do another ride on Wednesday. Happy to leave choosing 'til Sunday though.
I don't think that there is much to choose between them and both look good.

Carrie is coming back from Scotland today, She has another ride booked for Wednesday, but said that she would like to join us for this one so Monday would probably be better for her. Her attendance will be subject to finding a dog-minder for the day.

Let's make the decision early tomorrow afternoon.

As to meeting points. There's a bench by a phone box in the centre of Waddington. That's where I'm aiming for: here. What time are you both getting there? Colin's last statement was about 1100, from a train. Colly?

Oh! Also, the road is closed about 600m from Waddington. Colin found something ages ago saying that there would be pedestrian access. If there isn't, and I've not found that reference, I'll be doing a 7km extra bit so will be about 20m late, potentially :-\
My train should arrive in Clitheroe around 10:55 so if it is on time I would be getting to Waddington at (say) 11:10. If Carrie IS coming, I will make sure that she gets there by 11:00 and be ready to go. She tends to have a relaxed attitude towards timing but I can't afford it this time because I will only have 8 hours to get round and back to the station. It should be fine, but I can't give away 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there - I'm probably not quick enough to make up lost time elsewhere.

The notice that I found about the West Bradford road closure was on the Waddington village website. The notice has not been updated so I assume that it is still correct that a temporary footbridge will be provided.

By extreme (ish) coincidence I am back in the UK next week but not up Norf until Thursday. I’ll let you guys scout out the route and then I may retrace it a few days later, unless Colin’s legs are up to doing it twice in the same week😀 shame I could get there a few days earlier
I don't think I'd want to do exactly the same route twice in one week, but the weather forecast is looking good all week so I could be persuaded to come back for an alternative route out there? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd do that but we're back to entertaining minor football teams at our cathedral of magnificence and we're hosting little Burnley that day.
One wet day in May I rode from Leigh, Slaidburn, Wray, Kirkby Lonsdale. My appetite for FoB is whetted but I have family commitments on yr chosen day. If you re-run something silmilar pl alert me. Proximity to train and overnight accommodation are important to me.
Love to join you on this sometime...but stuck for work on Saturdays at moment...as well as serious lack of fitness on the bike !
Love the trough though,looks like a good ride.
In case any of you are free... We will now be doing the ride on Monday 23rd or Tuesday 24th August instead of today.

It would be good to get a few more riders to come along.

Adam4868

Guru
In case any of you are free... We will now be doing the ride on Monday 23rd or Tuesday 24th August instead of today.

Oh how I miss being self employed ! Can't do this one Col...but thanks for the invite.Not sure my bike fitness is up to it either.But hope you have a good day l 😁

PaulB

Legendary Member

Sorry, Chester Zoo with the grandkids on Monday and band practice on Tuesday otherwise I'd have been there.

Top Bottom