Scenic Forest of Bowland forum ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moxey

It's about time there was another forum ride, and hopefully i'll be able to make it this time :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, have a nice time in France Ajay!

The middle weekend in July is pencilled in for Fiona N's Yorkshire Dales 200. We could perhaps do the full Bowland route rerun on July 24th?

That's a long way off though. I'm busy the next two weekends but am free on the 25th/26th June so we could do a different ride that weekend if anyone is up for one? I've got a spectacularly great route in mind. More details later ... :thumbsup:

HillSpecial

HillSpecial
Oh do try and keep up potsy! That's why we are going to check out The Barn instead, just across the road. ;)

I've just been looking at their website and I'm going to email them nearer the day to check that they would be happy to receive about a dozen sweaty cyclists at around 2 pm on a Sunday!

They have a rather expensive carvery (by my impecunious standards!) but there is also a coffee shop which is what I would prefer to go in. There's no reason why we couldn't split into two lunch groups if some want a big meaty treat (Oo, er, missus! :blush:) while others just fancy coffee, sandwich and cake.

Hi Colin,

the Priory still {July 2012} say that they Welcome Cyclists. Many more bikes can be found at the barn these days - and the barn does really good ice creams too !

dodgy

Has the Priory sorted itself out yet? Scorton is a very strategic spot for my regular ride from home to Grasmere that I do from time to time. Doing it again on Sunday and I usually pass Scorton at 11ish and it's at 52 miles in for me, so that's when I'd usually stop.

Perhaps the Barn over the road is now the best place, or do I avoid Scorton alltogether?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't know about the Priory but we got on okay at the Barn. I liked us being able to sit outside (under cover) and keep an eye on our bikes since I've heard that there have been several bike thefts at Scorton.

dodgy

Cheers Colin, the Internet is awash with some pretty strong feelings against the Priory. The CTC even had to close a thread due to potential legal problems!

Anyway, I like the sound of the external covered aread and for that reason I'm out.

Geddit?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cheers Colin, the Internet is awash with some pretty strong feelings against the Priory. The CTC even had to close a thread due to potential legal problems!

Anyway, I like the sound of the external covered aread and for that reason I'm out.

Geddit?
I do!

You can just see the outdoor seating area in this Streetview picture. It's got hanging baskets with purple flowers at the front of it.

PS I just took a closer look ... someone has parked their bike there where they can watch over it!

dodgy

Thanks again, pretty little village, lots of cyclists around the Priory area in the Streetview, too!

Will let you know how I get on.

PS - What's the Barns speciality (drinks, cakes or food) in your opinion?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS - What's the Barns speciality (drinks, cakes or food) in your opinion?
I've only been there the once (see earlier in this thread), and my main memories are not of the food and drink, but that the weather was grim, and Pennine-Paul developed bloodshot 'devil-eyes' and bonked before we got to Scorton! :thumbsup:

I think there was a good selection at the cafe - sandwiches, soup, baked potatoes, beans on toast, cake, the usual cyclists' favourites ...

Top Bottom