Scenic Forest of Bowland forum ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

I'm still feeling miffed at being too poorly to ride yesterday's fantastic Spring Into The Dales event so I'm cheering myself up by finalising the route of a forum ride I've been talking about doing for some time now.

I did a couple of similar rides back in 2008 and a few of you turned out for those. This time, I've added an extra climb - Jubilee Tower, as suggested by tubbycyclist.

The original plan was to have a cafe stop at Dunsop Bridge but I was surprised to find that it would have been 80 kms (50 miles) into a hilly route and I think that is too late so I've changed the route slightly to call in at the cafe in Scorton at the halfway point instead.

If we feel like it (and get there before closing time), we can have a second stop at Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington.

Start 10:00, Sunday 15th May 2011 from Spring Wood picnic centre car park, Whalley.

The route is 112 km in length (70 miles). It has 6 significant climbs with about 1,750 m of climbing (5,750 ft), some very steep. So, it is not for those who don't like hills or who are unsure of their fitness.

We will be riding slowly and enjoying the scenery so don't worry if you aren't quick - I'm not either! Nobody will be left behind, so if you have the stamina to tackle this route then you are welcome to join us.

There are some steep and potentially high-speed descents. Sheep wander about on those roads. Some roads may be rutted, gravel-strewn or pot-holed so keep your eyes open and don't go crazy on them!

Route map on Bikely.

And here's the route profile with some notable points marked on it ...

cc-forum-ride-may-15th-2011-bowland-loop-profile.gif

That's yer lot. Would anybody care to join me on this lovely route?

Riders

• ColinJ
  • potsy
  • dan_bo
  • bromptonfb
  • tubbycyclist
  • skudupnorth
  • Steve H
  • Alun
  • Ajay + a mate
  • Pennine-Paul (he should have a multi-geared bike by then!)
  • colly
Maybes

• PaulB (if he decides to miss the footy)
  • zacklaws (unlikely, but possible)
  • Garz (waiting for spousal approval)
  • Globalti (thinking about it)
  • italiafirenze

potsy

Rambler
Route downloaded, I'm in :thumbsup:

I like the look of the flat section after the cafe stop ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I like that route and know it well. We've got Spurs at home that day but I might give up that particular pleasure. I'll let you know.

andy1

Guru
Hi Colin,
I would have liked to join you on this,but im afraid the Whalley start rules me out.
I just am not fit enough to ride the extra bits as well and transport availability is unlikely!

tubbycyclist

Hi Colin,
I would have liked to join you on this,but im afraid the Whalley start rules me out.
I just am not fit enough to ride the extra bits as well and transport availability is unlikely!

I am already Colin's chauffeur from Hebden Bridge, if you can get yourself down the valley I could certainly give you a lift from there (. .and back to HB too).

andy1

Guru
I am already Colin's chauffeur from Hebden Bridge, if you can get yourself down the valley I could certainly give you a lift from there (. .and back to HB too).

Thats very kind of you, thank you! if i cannot sort anything out myself i will get back to you,cheers!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,
The first time I did the Bowland loop (minus Jubilee Tower) I also rode to and from Whalley which is why I didn't add the extra climb in - I was already doing 100 miles and didn't fancy an extra 7 miles plus that tough climb.

I'm not fit enough to do that currently, but fortunately Kevin (tc) has been kind enough to give me lifts to the Whalley starts. I hope I'll be fit enough to do the extra 40-odd miles as well by mid-summer.

Ah, I see that tc has offered you a lift too while I was writing this post! You'd have an easy ride over here and back down the valley at the end of the day. You'd just have that final nasty climb home to cope with but you could always walk up that if you had to!

potsy

Rambler
1,750 m of climbing? Pah!! Not worth getting out of bed for after SITD :biggrin:

Are we getting out again before this one? Maybe another Waddington ride? May 1st?

Top Bottom