Scenic Forest of Bowland forum ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
Count me in!

I'll just need to check in with my social secretary (the missus) to ensure we are free, but pretty certain we are. Route looks good, although that last spike of a hill looks painful.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Are we getting out again before this one?

I would be up for a ride to the coast sometime over the bank holiday

zacklaws

Guru
I'm down for two 100 mile sportives on consecutive days the weekend before so I do not think I can afford to travel across to Whalley, checked the distance last night and it may be two much, plus I may find that I am working with it being my flexi week at work but I won't know that till a fortnights time after my holidays when I go back.

i'd recommend going to the barn in scorton. the priory is turning very cyclist unwelcome. several of our club have been turned away and not allowed into the main cafe. it seems cyclists are only allowed into the small bar area and once that gets full you've no chance.

i'm away that weekend or i'd be out for sure, probably on fixed !

Globalti

Legendary Member
BE VERY CAREFUL at the cafe in Scorton, it has a bad reputation for bike theft. It's a big, popular place with lots of coming and going and visitors from all around the area. If you go inside you are out of sight of your bike. For this reason the owners have provided several cable locks for cyclists to use. Best to sit at an outside table.

I might be up for that ride; it's my stamping ground. I see you're going up Waddington Fell, a classic climb! Worse still, you're going up Quernmore Hill on the Lancaster to Clitheroe road, a real barsteward of a climb!

Edit: It's The Priory that has the theft problem but I would add the same caveat for both the cafes in Scorton.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm in if I've finished building the geared bike,not even gonna think about

doing that on a fixie :wacko:
A sensible decision! I'll add you to the 'maybes'.

1,750 m of climbing? Pah!! Not worth getting out of bed for after SITD :biggrin:

Are we getting out again before this one? Maybe another Waddington ride? May 1st?
It's funny how 'tough' seems easy compared to 'very tough' isn't it!

Assuming that I'm well enough, that would be fine by me! I'm peeved that we have this spell of really nice weather and I can't take advantage of it!

Count me in!

I'll just need to check in with my social secretary (the missus) to ensure we are free, but pretty certain we are. Route looks good, although that last spike of a hill looks painful.
I'll add you to the 'maybes' until you can confirm it.

Yes, Waddington Fell from that side is pretty tough! But at least we have a fabulous descent and then an easy ride back to Whalley after that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get to Waddington in time for the cafe. The last time I did a forum ride over the 'Trough' we got there 15 minutes before closing time but they kept the cafe open for us until we had finished our food and drink. This time we have got a cafe stop before we get to Waddington plus an extra tough hill and 7 miles distance to do.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm down for two 100 mile sportives on consecutive days the weekend before so I do not think I can afford to travel across to Whalley, checked the distance last night and it may be two much, plus I may find that I am working with it being my flexi week at work but I won't know that till a fortnights time after my holidays when I go back.
It would be good to see you again if you can manage it!

i'd recommend going to the barn in scorton. the priory is turning very cyclist unwelcome. several of our club have been turned away and not allowed into the main cafe. it seems cyclists are only allowed into the small bar area and once that gets full you've no chance.

i'm away that weekend or i'd be out for sure, probably on fixed !
Oh - that's rich for an enterprise which includes a cycle shop!

The Priory Inn said:
The famous 'Priory Hotpot' is perfect after a day’s cycling through the Forest of Bowland. Walkers and cyclists are made to feel particularly welcome at the Priory Inn.

You’ll find somewhere to store your bike and dry your clothes, and whatever the weather you’ll always get a warm welcome.

It sounds as though they should rewrite that then!

BE VERY CAREFUL at the cafe in Scorton, it has a bad reputation for bike theft. It's a big, popular place with lots of coming and going and visitors from all around the area. If you go inside you are out of sight of your bike. For this reason the owners have provided several cable locks for cyclists to use. Best to sit at an outside table.

I might be up for that ride; it's my stamping ground. I see you're going up Waddington Fell, a classic climb! Worse still, you're going up Quernmore Hill on the Lancaster to Clitheroe road, a real barsteward of a climb!

Edit: It's The Priory that has the theft problem but I would add the same caveat for both the cafes in Scorton.
To be honest - I'm worried about my bike at most cyclists' cafes for the same reason. I've heard of thefts at Waddington, Chipping and Gargrave too!

Apparently some thieves are getting quite sophisticated. A thief wanders up wearing cycling kit so he doesn't look out of place, jumps on a bike and rides it round the corner to a mate lurking in a big van with the engine running ready for a quick getaway. They might be repeated several times if nobody spots what they are doing.

That's why I like the cafe at Coldwell. You can sit outside with your bikes in good weather. In bad weather, you are looking at them through the window and they are in a separate walled area.

Garz

Squat Member
Oooh I'm interested, shall see if this clashes with anything but more than likely in the same category as Steve. :thumbsup:

'the scorton welcome' those were our thoughts. we ( about 15 of us who've been going in for many years)last went in four weeks ago, before boycotting the priory for the barn, whilst we were sat down eating , the owner came along and demanded that the windows be opened to 'let the smell out'.

we opened them but it was a cold day and very draughty with them open so we closed them.

the owner came back and told us that he wanted them open.
i'd already put my top back on to try to keep warm so i told him that i wasn't prepared to sit in a freezing cold draught, he repeated that he wanted them open to let the smell out.

a clubmate suggested moving the table to the centre of the room, he refused and as he couldn't get to the window he stood glaring at us for a couple of minutes making us feel very uncomfortable before he went away.

how on earth he expects to sell bikes when he treats potential customers like this is beyond me.

a few of our group have been going in that cafe for about 40 years and have never known such an unpleasant atmosphere.

it's NOT the cafe it used to be.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oooh I'm interested, shall see if this clashes with anything but more than likely in the same category as Steve. :thumbsup:
Okay, you are an official 'maybe'!

[The cafe owner] stood glaring at us for a couple of minutes making us feel very uncomfortable before he went away.

how on earth he expects to sell bikes when he treats potential customers like this is beyond me.

a few of our group have been going in that cafe for about 40 years and have never known such an unpleasant atmosphere.

Charming! Is it under new ownership by any chance?

potsy

Rambler
Assuming that I'm well enough, that would be fine by me! I'm peeved that we have this spell of really nice weather and I can't take advantage of it!

Good stuff, I'm sure we could get a few more even at short notice, just let me know nearer the time.

Was going to ask on the SITD thread when we were going to see you again, let's hope you get the go ahead from the boss then. :thumbsup:

'the scorton welcome' those were our thoughts. we ( about 15 of us who've been going in for many years)last went in four weeks ago, before boycotting the priory for the barn, whilst we were sat down eating , the owner came along and demanded that the windows be opened to 'let the smell out'.

we opened them but it was a cold day and very draughty with them open so we closed them.

the owner came back and told us that he wanted them open.
i'd already put my top back on to try to keep warm so i told him that i wasn't prepared to sit in a freezing cold draught, he repeated that he wanted them open to let the smell out.

a clubmate suggested moving the table to the centre of the room, he refused and as he couldn't get to the window he stood glaring at us for a couple of minutes making us feel very uncomfortable before he went away.

Maybe this is the sort of local knowledge to take heed of and go somewhere else?
Not the sort of atmosphere we really want is it? Much rather somewhere else where we can eat outside or keep a good eye on the bikes from inside.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Maybe this is the sort of local knowledge to take heed of and go somewhere else?
Not the sort of atmosphere we really want is it? Much rather somewhere else where we can eat outside or keep a good eye on the bikes from inside.
Oh do try and keep up potsy! That's why we are going to check out The Barn instead, just across the road. ;)

I've just been looking at their website and I'm going to email them nearer the day to check that they would be happy to receive about a dozen sweaty cyclists at around 2 pm on a Sunday!

They have a rather expensive carvery (by my impecunious standards!) but there is also a coffee shop which is what I would prefer to go in. There's no reason why we couldn't split into two lunch groups if some want a big meaty treat (Oo, er, missus! :blush:) while others just fancy coffee, sandwich and cake.

potsy

Rambler
They have a rather expensive carvery (by my impecunious standards!) but there is also a coffee shop which is what I would prefer to go in. There's no reason why we couldn't split into two lunch groups if some want a big meaty treat (Oo, er, missus! :blush:) while others just fancy coffee, sandwich and cake.

Aye , that looks a bit posh, don't forget Dan-bo is coming :whistle:

The coffee shop would do me, coffee and cake with a sandwich. I'm sure Steve will find us a chipshop if we get hungry later :biggrin:

Top Bottom