Schlitter Encore Build Review - I don't even have a beard!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I am not very tall and have no beard (5'5, :girldance:) and will be looking for a new 'bent next year - being short means I probably won't have much luck with a high-racer

Maybe you've come across this chap during your research, but if not, McCraws is a great site for all recumbent reviews. This one http://mccraw.co.uk/raptobike-midracer-review/. shows the Rapto mid racer vs other low, mid and high racers, tells you the seat height and has some great 'roll over' pics showing instantly the seat height differences. Well worth a look as a mid racer should prove ideal for you.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
It will be good to hear about your experiences with the riding position - I too have a knee issue! I think you will find the sense of security and the good all-round vision when going downhill a real revelation. Good on you for spinning not grinding to begin with!

I am not very tall and have no beard (5'5, :girldance:) and will be looking for a new 'bent next year - being short means I probably won't have much luck with a high-racer, even though I don't want to hug the ground too much (I like looking over hedges). You might be taller than me but I wonder if you'd say a little more about that - I too want that size of wheel!

Hi, I loved a nice long down hill section yesterday, great views! I must say climbing up there was a challenge, different muscles required for a recumbent as I was feeling the burn :sweat:, I must have been flying along as I noticed the wind trying to drag my helmet off on the way back down. I'm hoping my knee is on the mend, Patella tendonitis, I have been taking it easy for 3 months now and just starting to build it back up. I'm 5'7" and the Encore allows me to just safely secure a foot on the ground whilst reclined but full contact with both feet when I sit up, I also have no hard pedal interference with 165mm cranks. I'm sure Julien in Sweden would advise if you were interested. I was looking for a mid racer or big wheel bike with a frame that drops between the wheels but was struggling for options. The Encore really suits me and I'm sure it will only get better as I learn the art of laid backs! Have fun :hello:

Ganymede

Veteran
Maybe you've come across this chap during your research, but if not, McCraws is a great site for all recumbent reviews. This one http://mccraw.co.uk/raptobike-midracer-review/. shows the Rapto mid racer vs other low, mid and high racers, tells you the seat height and has some great 'roll over' pics showing instantly the seat height differences. Well worth a look as a mid racer should prove ideal for you.
I have - I've been googling while incapacitated (I was supposed to get my new bike this year but postponed due to shoulder probs) and this is an excellent resource, thanks!
Hi, I loved a nice long down hill section yesterday, great views! I must say climbing up there was a challenge, different muscles required for a recumbent as I was feeling the burn :sweat:, I must have been flying along as I noticed the wind trying to drag my helmet off on the way back down. I'm hoping my knee is on the mend, Patella tendonitis, I have been taking it easy for 3 months now and just starting to build it back up. I'm 5'7" and the Encore allows me to just safely secure a foot on the ground whilst reclined but full contact with both feet when I sit up, I also have no hard pedal interference with 165mm cranks. I'm sure Julien in Sweden would advise if you were interested. I was looking for a mid racer or big wheel bike with a frame that drops between the wheels but was struggling for options. The Encore really suits me and I'm sure it will only get better as I learn the art of laid backs! Have fun :hello:
There are quite a few youtube vids comparing uphill/downhill on bents and upwrongs, one is particularly good as he's in the peloton and he slips to the back going uphill and moves straight to the front going downhill. Have a rummage! Good luck with the knee!

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

I have - I've been googling while incapacitated (I was supposed to get my new bike this year but postponed due to shoulder probs) and this is an excellent resource, thanks!

There are quite a few youtube vids comparing uphill/downhill on bents and upwrongs, one is particularly good as he's in the peloton and he slips to the back going uphill and moves straight to the front going downhill. Have a rummage! Good luck with the knee!

Thank you, and you! Knees seem to take a long while to heal, very frustrating :angry: - I'm not that old but just feel like it an the moment!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have you seen a Sports Physiotherapist about your knee ?

I've had on-and-off issues with my right shoulder and right knee for some years, so finally had had enough of it and went to see a proper Sports Physio (at Edinburgh Uni's Fitness Assessment and Sports Injury Clinic - FASIC). Their approach is quite different from NHS staff - which is in no way intended to denigrate NHS physios. The difference is that, whereas an NHS physio will see how far you can move your arm, as long as it enables you to carry on with a 'normal' life - that's good, because that is the standard to which they are 'required' to work (my words/ description)

Sports physios ask you what you want to be able to do and can you do it yet. Obviously the answer is No, so they analyse what is wrong, exactly the same as an NHS one, then I have had deep sports massage, lots of explanation as to what is going on, lots of exercises to do - and the results are really beginning to kick in now. I started going in October ... It costs £38 for a 30min slot and £42 for 45min but well worth it, IMHO. Visits every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Have you seen a Sports Physiotherapist about your knee ?

I've had on-and-off issues with my right shoulder and right knee for some years, so finally had had enough of it and went to see a proper Sports Physio (at Edinburgh Uni's Fitness Assessment and Sports Injury Clinic - FASIC). Their approach is quite different from NHS staff - which is in no way intended to denigrate NHS physios. The difference is that, whereas an NHS physio will see how far you can move your arm, as long as it enables you to carry on with a 'normal' life - that's good, because that is the standard to which they are 'required' to work (my words/ description)

Sports physios ask you what you want to be able to do and can you do it yet. Obviously the answer is No, so they analyse what is wrong, exactly the same as an NHS one, then I have had deep sports massage, lots of explanation as to what is going on, lots of exercises to do - and the results are really beginning to kick in now. I started going in October ... It costs £38 for a 30min slot and £42 for 45min but well worth it, IMHO. Visits every 2 weeks.

Good advice, I spoke to a sports physio 3 weeks ago who has given me a plan, he said he will give it some deep massage after a few weeks of completing the exercises he has prescribed. Seems to be working and definitely worth a few pounds if it gets me back to fitness and prevents reoccurrence, unfortunately tendons take time to recover which is a shame if like me you struggle with patience. I hate being unwell! Have a great Christmas, hope Santa brought you what you wanted :smile:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.

Or this one......no downhill required. Watch from around 5m 45s. What a sight to see 4 bent riders around 20 years older leave all the young df riders behind!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm-FZ-ZX-w

markg0vbr

Über Member
What no beard! No wax handle bar tash! What about exsesivly hairy legs and gut? You must talk in a nasally monoton train spotter tipe voice explaining to whom ever will listen, even if they don't want to how insane they are for riding a uci approved convaence.

And if you ever get a trike and pull up at the side of the road for a bit of a mid afternoon nap on a long ride place a sign on a bit of string around your neck " I am just having a nap I do not need resuscitating ".

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Hi guys, all is progressing well, even managed a bit of clipped in riding which is much smoother :rolleyes:. I'm still in the adjusting phase, getting the bars and seat position spot on. I posted a question on the maintenance section but will also copy in here as someone may have experience of these arms.

I have a very small crank arm/ tyre overlap it's not a big deal as the crank arm pushes over the tyre, but I would like to shave a couple of mm off the tip of the crank arm to give me clearance. A 23C tyre would clear as oppose to the 25c I'm running, as would shorter crank arms but I'm trying to stick with standard off the shelf bits were I can and these 165 mm cranks are fine all but 2mm of what appears to be excess material.

The question - The arms are SRAM Rival OCT and I know they are manufactured hollow but does anyone know for certain if the end surrounding the pedal thread is hollow or is it solid at that point allowing me to shave off 2mm? My guess would be solid and hollow along the main length but I'm reluctant to touch them unless I'm sure. Thanks in advance.
WP_002663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Well my knee, although not fixed, is well enough for me to get back out on the bike for short rides. The Encore doesn't seem to effect the injury in the same way as a DF bike. Different muscle groups I guess. Anyway, I managed to mount a couple of camera's and went for a little pedal. This being my 1st recumbent I'm still adjusting to the position but really love the open view that laid back cycling allows. I'm still not that confident in traffic as starting off is a little wobbly but getting better with practise :training:. The camera did catch me wobbling and falling off whilst going up a steep hill but with the wonders of technology I cut that bit out ^_^. It happened to occur right next to a building site so I got a round of applause from the fellas on site. What can you do but bow and carry on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZbkY7_s08

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well my knee, although not fixed, is well enough for me to get back out on the bike for short rides. The Encore doesn't seem to effect the injury in the same way as a DF bike. Different muscle groups I guess. Anyway, I managed to mount a couple of camera's and went for a little pedal. This being my 1st recumbent I'm still adjusting to the position but really love the open view that laid back cycling allows. I'm still not that confident in traffic as starting off is a little wobbly but getting better with practise :training:. The camera did catch me wobbling and falling off whilst going up a steep hill but with the wonders of technology I cut that bit out ^_^. It happened to occur right next to a building site so I got a round of applause from the fellas on site. What can you do but bow and carry on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZbkY7_s08

Nice video, but please, no soundtrack.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

When are we locals of Stubbington going to see it then Si? Are you going to join me again for a cake and coffee ride?
Would love to, always up for cake. I'm surprised you haven't seen me wobbling along the sea front! Let me know when you are next out and about and I will try to join you for a few miles. I have also been looking forward to taking a look at your new trike :smile:

Top Bottom