Schlitter Encore Build Review - I don't even have a beard!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Schlitter Encore Build Review.

Simon

WP_002571.jpg

I’m regular cycle commuter, driven by the dislike of sitting in a car in heavy traffic. My commute by car can take over an hour each way, where by the same route on a bike takes around 50 mins. Arriving home with the stress of the day gone and an appetite that allows for a double helping of pudding - no contest, cycling all the way!

I enjoy reading travel and adventure books written by your average man on the street. Amazon Kindle books are fantastic for allowing people like me (not a writer) to publish a book and tell the story of their own lives and adventures (who knows maybe one day I will dream up an adventure of my own to scribble about). My recumbent itch started a year ago after reading a few of these stories, tales of comfort, fantastic views and chilled out riding. I would probably stick to an upright for my commute but wanted to try something a little different for longer weekend fun rides.

I conducted some internet reading and test rode several bikes at the few outlets we have in the UK. I had decided on a 2 wheel bent with 700c wheels that was able to move along swiftly for day rides. Being a little short, my options were limited if I wanted to stick with 700c wheels. A frame that dipped below the wheels would have been ideal for me but I was struggling with current market options.

I came across the Schlitter Encore, a made to measure carbon “stick” frameset that would accommodate my lack of height and fit my day bike requirements. After test riding one at Laid back bikes in Edinburgh I was sold. I purchased directly from the Schlitter European dealer in Sweden, managed by Julien Mauroy. As I had decided to complete the build myself and deal directly with Schlitter this meant laid back bikes wouldn’t gain from their time and advice during the test ride. I felt a little guilty for this and made sure to compensate (in a small way) Laid back bikes for the time spent. I think it important to support our local businesses where possible and I’m sure I will need their services again in the future.

After ordering the frame with an estimated 6-8 weeks delivery time, it was time to think about components for the build. After many e-mails back and forward to Julien I decided on the items listed below, I thought I would include this list as it may be of help.

Schlitter supplied Frame Kit

· Standard Fork – 700c carbon with alloy steerer

· FSA Orbit CE Black 1 1/8 Integrated Aheadset

· Rear Brake and Gear shift cable outers Inc Frame housings

· Rear Mech Hanger

· Lightweight composite touring seat M

· Custom Frame with J bar steering and seat supports

Build Parts

Bachetta Caliper Front brake

· Front Caliper 21 mm recessed brake bolt

· Bachetta Light Mount

· Mirrors

· Ventisit seat foam

· Head rest – Ice trikes Hardshell

· Bar Tape

· Tektro RX5 Mini V

· SRAM BL700 Flat Bar

· SRAM GX 2x10 Speed Rear Derailleur (Type 2.1) - (Long cage for 11-36T)

· SRAM Rival Black Front Derailleur (Band-On)

· Front Mech clamp band on adaptor for 28.6mm

· SRAM Rival Compact Chainset - 165mm 50-34

· SRAM/ Shimano cassette 11-36

· SRAM R2C TT Aero shifters 10 speed Includes Gear Cable inners

· Bottom bracket - SRAM Alloy GXP Bottom Bracket - 68mm English thread

· HUNT 4Season Aero Road Wheelset | 1589g | 28Deep 22Wide | Inc skewers

· Continental 4 Season Tyres 25C

· SRAM 10 speed chain x 3

· Brake cables plus fittings requires 2 long cables 1x 90 deg noodle and 1x 135 deg noodle.

· 2 x Ritchy Cable Barrel adjusters for front and rear gear mechs and 1 x 135 deg noodle

· Pedals

· Tools, Grease, Chain Oil, Carbon paste

Julien was really helpful in assisting me with my choice of components and even helped with gear ratios and component compatibility as I wanted a combination of road and MTB parts to give me a good range of gearing.

The frameset arrived on time, in fact I wasn’t expecting the delivery as Fed Ex had forgotten to contact me, Surprise! The set arrived well packaged, I was surprised how light the box was and thought they had delivered me an empty container! I was really impressed with the carbon lump, a solid piece of manufacturing from their supplier Europe.

WP_002528.jpg

The build went well and was much more straight forward than expected, I had a minor issue with one of the rear brake mounts which is supplied inserted and bonded into the frame. The small spring retaining pin hole that takes the brake spring had been drilled slightly off centre meaning the brake arm wouldn’t fit on the mounting stud. I’m sure this was just a one off manufacturing error. This was easily addressed with a small file to elongate the hole by under 1mm allowing the rear brake arm to seat correctly.

WP_002592.jpg

The seat clamp mechanism allows the seat to sit upright and low to the frame or reclined down to around 20 deg with the front lip raised but the base of the seat low. This allows vertically challenged individuals like me to touch the ground. Schlitter offers 3 choices with the frame set - a standard touring seat, a stiffer lighter carbon touring seat or a race seat that reclines below 20 deg whilst maintaining a low to the frame position, one for future consideration maybe when I get used to this one!

WP_002582.jpg

As I understand with many recumbents, the front brake calliper needs to have the cable run on the left away from the chain, I was tempted by a disc fork as the rear frame comes with disc mounting points however settled on a standard rim system. Schlitter do supply a front brake option but were unfortunately out of stock at the time. I went for a Bachetta calliper which works really well with the road levers, I needed to faff with the cable run a little but settled with a 135 deg noodle.

WP_002589.jpg

In a similar way to the front brake, the front mech used a 135 deg noodle which seated into the frames fixed cable support, I included a barrel adjuster at that point also. The front mech was a band on type that secured to my purchased adaptor clamp.

WP_002588.jpg

The rear mech fitted to the supplied rear hanger without issue, I used a barrel adjuster inserted into the cable holder to allow for adjustments, the cable fed nicely out of the frame port and down to the mech. 2 ¾ chains later and the drive was up and running.

WP_002575.jpg

After a couple of days building and tinkering the Encore was ready for its 1st ride! Following 10 mins of playing about with the starting off technique I was on my way and wobbling down the road. New to the whole recumbent thing, trying to relax into the seat took a while. It didn’t take long however before I was cruising along with a different view of the world. I’m really not experienced enough to review the ride and don’t have much to compare it with but can only state that I love it! It’s going to take me a while to master, the starting off, the limited turning circle and the steering swing when pedalling but I understand these are recumbent traits which I’m sure I will come to master after a few miles.

Following a knee tendon injury 4 months ago (poor timing I know) I was concerned that this riding position would flare up my complaint with the inability to stand up out of the saddle like an upright – However so far so good, pedalling appears to require the use of different parts of the leg muscles so fingers crossed, if I take it easy, spin lots and resist the temptation to chase uprights it will aid may recovery!

I would like to thank David from Laid Back Bikes and Julien of Schlitter Europe for their help. My suppliers of parts were chosen on a cost basis from on-line retailers but a special thanks must go to SJS cycles in Bridgwater for the supply of the more obscure bits.

As for the beard thing - I think I will pass thank you!
images.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hyper: :wub: :wub: :hyper:

That looks gorgeous ! :smooch:
Great write-up too - thanks :okay:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
A very nice looking machine you have there, and very ballsy to jump straight in, buy a frame set and build it up for your first recumbent, respect!

I also jumped straight in with my first recumbent (Bacchetta Strada), a big wheeler, very similar in design (but lower spec and much higher weight) and after a week or so I felt very confident on it, so I'm sure you'll soon be on full lean round fast bends.

Btw, which machines did you test ride before taking the plunge?

Keep us posted on how your commuting goes.

byegad

Legendary Member
There is an alternative to growing a beard. You just need to go through a small medical procedure, called gender reassignment. You could try commuting with a little lipstick on and a couple of small oranges stuffed in the front of your jumper, but I doubt it will be convincing. Best go for the beard.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

A very nice looking machine you have there, and very ballsy to jump straight in, buy a frame set and build it up for your first recumbent, respect!

I also jumped straight in with my first recumbent (Bacchetta Strada), a big wheeler, very similar in design (but lower spec and much higher weight) and after a week or so I felt very confident on it, so I'm sure you'll soon be on full lean round fast bends.

Btw, which machines did you test ride before taking the plunge?

Keep us posted on how your commuting goes.

Hi, Loving it so far and confidence growing, I haven't put my cleated shoes on yet but it won't be long. I test rode several bikes before this one - Bachetta Giro, Fujin SL, Gaucho (really liked that one), HP Street Machine, Metaphrasic to name but a few. A test ride is fine for a quick first impression but its difficult to tell how you will get on in the longer term after an hour or so seated especially when like me - new to the game. I would have liked to have tried a 700c with a frame that drops between the wheels but couldn't find one and there seems to be a shortage of companies currently manufacturing that type. I'm happy with my choice, just hope I don't damage the carbon by dropping it whilst learning! This was the first time I have built a bike up, no more need for a bike shop service as I now have the tools! Happy pedalling!

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Congratulations, and well done on the build! Enjoy. :becool:

Thanks Paul, had my 1st longish ride out today, starting off in traffic still needs some work, embarrassed myself a couple of times but raised some giggles, thankfully I'm not clipped in yet! I really loved the different view perspective and noticed lots of things on my route that I haven't seen before on my upright. Smiles all round ^_^ Have a good Christmas!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Hi, Loving it so far and confidence growing, I haven't put my cleated shoes on yet but it won't be long.

If you use single pedals then you're a very brave man. I only use singles on the trike, but on every 2 wheeler, despite tens of thousands of miles on various machines, I've always opted for dual sided pedals. I would've been off half a dozen times otherwise. Setting off, and slow speeds are particularly dodgy. It's even easier to switch over on a bent than a df as you can see what you're doing!

See how easy I make it look on my old Strada!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEY05i4TTs

Last edited:
Nice bent for sure, got to be one of the best looking recumbents out there. Love the J, bars and prefer them than tiller set up. Enjoy your rides and keep us all informed on your progress.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

If you use single pedals then you're a very brave man. I only use singles on the trike, but on every 2 wheeler, despite tens of thousands of miles on various machines, I've always opted for dual sided pedals. I would've been off half a dozen times otherwise. Setting off, and slow speeds are particularly dodgy. It's even easier to switch over on a bent than a df as you can see what you're doing!

See how easy I make it look on my old Strada!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEY05i4TTs

Thanks for the vid, I hadn't thought that my shoes should sit flat on a platform pedal then I have the option of clipping in when I get out of town on the open road. Planning to stop isn't an issue its the unplanned occasions in town that scare me! I have the same pedals fitted so will give it a go. On my 1st longish ride out yesterday I did miss the clips, I have been using them for the last few years on my upright and really notice the difference when don't have them. Always happy to take on board any recumbent tips as its a bit of a learning process. Thank you!

Ganymede

Veteran
It will be good to hear about your experiences with the riding position - I too have a knee issue! I think you will find the sense of security and the good all-round vision when going downhill a real revelation. Good on you for spinning not grinding to begin with!

I am not very tall and have no beard (5'5, :girldance:) and will be looking for a new 'bent next year - being short means I probably won't have much luck with a high-racer, even though I don't want to hug the ground too much (I like looking over hedges). You might be taller than me but I wonder if you'd say a little more about that - I too want that size of wheel!

Top Bottom