School cycle training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We have 2 schools in the village, one of them does cycle training the other doesn't my grandson is at the one that doesn't, they used to a few years ago but presumably it's due to some spending cuts.

So what is needed as a volunteer to teach 7-10 years olds, again a presumption will be Police check to be able to work with kids, but putting that aside what is the recognised training a trainer needs to be able to offer this to the school?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
These guys do courses at our local school https://bikeability.org.uk Contact them and ask about being an instructor perhaps. Or just do your own Grampy-Phaeton course with medals and everything. Bound to be brilliant.

I am a bit cynical about the curriculum but I am an obstinate fiend.

tom73

Guru
You may not need a DBS depends on local policy if your going to the supervised and not 1-1or calling in every week then it maybe ok. Not every one who visits or comes to do activities into mine are DBS we just supervise them and they have a different colour visitors lanyard so are easy to see so all staff know so can challenge them if need's be.

I like @Heltor Chasca idea speak to the school see if you can do your own thing together with school. Easy to add disclaimer to any awards given adding the "awareness" to certificates cover a multitude of sins.

Slick

Guru
I saw an advert for an instructor at one of my local schools and I must admit, I was tempted. From what I could gather it's actually less about cash and more to do with getting the right people involved. Ofcourse it probably varies from county to county.

steven1988

Veteran
As in Bikeabilty? For learning road skills or general cycle coaching? If you are after general coaching, i seem to remember we aren't to far away from each other and i coach kids on a weekly basis, feel free to drop me a PM with your location and we can have a chat

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Bikeability doesn't cost the school anything. It's funded by the DfT; the school just need to get in touch with their local Bikeability provider. I't's going to be a lot safer for the children to be trained by qualified National Standard instructors with full insurance, enhanced DBS checks, and experience of delivery of outcomes to children.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I saw an advert for an instructor at one of my local schools and I must admit, I was tempted. From what I could gather it's actually less about cash and more to do with getting the right people involved. Ofcourse it probably varies from county to county.
Here in Scotland you need to have the 4 days course certificate, cycle ride leader trainer, which is one step up from the one day cycle ride leader certificate.
Often Cycling Scotland offers such courses for free, you can access them from their website.
If you want to pay, I think the 4 day is around £ 300.
In Scotland, afaik, the position of bikability instructor is always unpaid, while in England it is a paid job.

Slick

Guru
Here in Scotland you need to have the 4 days course certificate, cycle ride leader trainer, which is one step up from the one day cycle ride leader certificate.
Often Cycling Scotland offers such courses for free, you can access them from their website.
If you want to pay, I think the 4 day is around £ 300.
In Scotland, afaik, the position of bikability instructor is always unpaid, while in England it is a paid job.
Thanks Pat, I didn't know any of that but the advert offered training so I assume it was the 4 day course you are talking about. It was a voluntary position but as I finish early almost every Friday, I thought it might be fun to put the young ones through their paces.

Top Bottom