Schwalbe indoor tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi

After my punctures on my turbo training I've decided to fit a Schwalbe indoor tyre to my Boardman Hybrid bike

The tyre is 700c x 23 and I can get all of the tyre on apart from 2-3 inches and it's frustrating

Any ideas on how to get it on my rims? I'm using 3 levers but no joy

Cheers

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi

After my punctures on my turbo training I've decided to fit a Schwalbe indoor tyre to my Boardman Hybrid bike

The tyre is 700c x 23 and I can get all of the tyre on apart from 2-3 inches and it's frustrating

Any ideas on how to get it on my rims? I'm using 3 levers but no joy

Cheers

Yes, deflate the inner tube firstly. Then all around the wheel, pinch the tyre together, so the bead is forced into the centre of the wheel. This is the smallest circumference, it will allow a little more space. I would also cable tie either side of the section which is difficult to get over the rim, this stops the tyre walking around as you struggle to get the last bit over.

Don't nip the inner tube, so be careful.

Keep pressing the tyre into the centre as you work the bead over the rim

Yes, deflate the inner tube firstly. Then all around the wheel, pinch the tyre together, so the bead is forced into the centre of the wheel. This is the smallest circumference, it will allow a little more space. I would also cable tie either side of the section which is difficult to get over the rim, this stops the tyre walking around as you struggle to get the last bit over.

Don't nip the inner tube, so be careful.

Keep pressing the tyre into the centre as you work the bead over the rim

The advice for a tight Marathon Plus is to hold the bead in the centre rim well using zip ties.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
also depends on the width of your rims , 23 might be to narrow if you have wider rims ?
tried to get a 25mm on my commuter and it was a pain to get on 28s are about as small as it likes

OP
OP
M

markstev27

also depends on the width of your rims , 23 might be to narrow if you have wider rims ?
tried to get a 25mm on my commuter and it was a pain to get on 28s are about as small as it likes

I've checked my boardman hybrid spec and the tyres on there are 700 x 37c so looks like I'm miles out unless I'm missing something

vickster

Legendary Member
I've checked my boardman hybrid spec and the tyres on there are 700 x 37c so looks like I'm miles out unless I'm missing something

Nope you're miles out, you'll need to get a training tyre that wide, eg

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Insider-Tyre-700c-Folding/dp/B00HVCPRPI

chriswoody

Legendary Member

37c is just the width of your existing tire, it is a wide tire compared to the 23c trainer tire you have, but that isn't really relevant. What you need to find out is the inner rim width and see if the 23c tire is compatible with that. There's more info here on rim width/tire compatibility:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

Schwalbes own tire width/rim width chart is here:

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 18.10.41.png

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 18.13.29.png

I'd be surprised if your tire isn't compatible with your existing rim, but measure the inner rim width and check it on the chart above.

OP
OP
M

markstev27

37c is just the width of your existing tire, it is a wide tire compared to the 23c trainer tire you have, but that isn't really relevant. What you need to find out is the inner rim width and see if the 23c tire is compatible with that. There's more info here on rim width/tire compatibility:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

Schwalbes own tire width/rim width chart is here:

View attachment 662847

View attachment 662848

I'd be surprised if your tire isn't compatible with your existing rim, but measure the inner rim width and check it on the chart above.

Inner rim is 25mm

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Then looking at the chart, sadly a 23mm tire is too narrow then for your rim. Maybe you can return it to the retailer you picked it up from and exchange it for a wider one? I know the Shwalbe trainer tires come in a couple of widths, I've got one on my turbo bike, it's a nice tire for wheel on trainers.

OP
OP
M

markstev27

Then looking at the chart, sadly a 23mm tire is too narrow then for your rim. Maybe you can return it to the retailer you picked it up from and exchange it for a wider one? I know the Shwalbe trainer tires come in a couple of widths, I've got one on my turbo bike, it's a nice tire for wheel on trainers.

Do you know what size I will need (first time getting these tyres!) Thanks

Top Bottom