Schwalbe marathon plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used about a dozen releasable cable ties when I fitted my first M+. I had blood coming out from under my thumb nails, no joking.. The strange thing is that they are quite easy to fit after some use on the road. The rubber really gets a whole lot more flexible. BTW, I didn't discover that after a puncture, just a clumsily broken valve.

I've been using Marathons for 15 years or so, 35mm originals and latterly Plus' s on the tandems, 32mm originals on my work, touring, and audax bikes. Never had any trouble with them at all, I swear by them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I doubt if it is a manufacturers fault. Probably user error :0)

I have fitted lots of them and they are very tight to get on. Plenty of coffee and a lot of tyre levers do it for me. I use plastic levers and not metal ones. They may not be user friendly, but they are more bike friendly.

The bead is stiff. Don't use metal tyre levers, they destroy the edges.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I never had a bead come out of M+ on fitting (though obviously that's very rare with how resilient they are), and though they were virtually bomb-proof, when I eventually swapped over to smaller Bontrager Race Lite Harcases, the bike was at least 5kgs lighter, I think.

I'm sure they'd exchange for a new M+ without much persuasion, in your case.

Top Bottom