Schwalbe Marathon Racer vs. Supreme vs. Continental Top Contcat Touring tyes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
It's 90Kg for each tyre and it is total load i.e. the bike, you and your luggage. For example, let's say your bike's weight distribution is 50/50 (not likely but it makes for an easy calculation ^_^), you weigh 70Kg, your bike is 10Kg and your luggage is 10Kg, total weight = 90Kg so according to the weight distribution you have a 45Kg load on each wheel, so well within the 90Kg max load of the tyre.
It's 90Kg for each tyre and it is total load i.e. the bike, you and your luggage. For example, let's say your bike's weight distribution is 50/50 (not likely but it makes for an easy calculation ^_^), you weigh 70Kg, your bike is 10Kg and your luggage is 10Kg, total weight = 90Kg so according to the weight distribution you have a 45Kg load on each wheel, so well within the 90Kg max load of the tyre.

Aha! Well that's much more re-assuring! :-)

Tempted then to go for a pair of these at 32mm and putting them on DT Swiss TK540 rims (19mm internal) or possibly Exal LX17 (17mm internal). The tyres might be a little on the narrow side for the TK 540s, though, perhaps?

AlanT82

Aha! Well that's much more re-assuring! :-)

Tempted then to go for a pair of these at 32mm and putting them on DT Swiss TK540 rims (19mm internal) or possibly Exal LX17 (17mm internal). The tyres might be a little on the narrow side for the TK 540s, though, perhaps?
I've used 28mm tyres on 19mm rims and it was ok but narrower rims or wider tyres would have been better as the 28s barely protruded beyond the rim. Me personally, I'd stick to 32 as a minimum for a tourer ('cos I like a bit of comfort :smile: ) but I know plenty of riders are happy using 28s and narrower. See this Schwalbe page for table of recommended tyre/rim width combinations.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I've used 28mm tyres on 19mm rims and it was ok but narrower rims or wider tyres would have been better as the 28s barely protruded beyond the rim. Me personally, I'd stick to 32 as a minimum for a tourer ('cos I like a bit of comfort :smile: ) but I know plenty of riders are happy using 28s and narrower. See this Schwalbe page for table of recommended tyre/rim width combinations.

I don't intend to go below 32mm, and would like rims that can cope with 35mm, in case I need a more "expedition"-type tyre, but for now it's just for European road touring, and want something reasonably fast

AlanT82

I don't intend to go below 32mm, and would like rims that can cope with 35mm, in case I need a more "expedition"-type tyre, but for now it's just for European road touring, and want something reasonably fast
I can't comment on any of the other tyres mentioned in this thread but I'm currently running 26x1.5" Marathon Racers (non-folding, 465g) on my recumbent that gets used for commuting and long day rides and I'm quite happy with them being a compromise between speed and durability. I don't know of any disadvantages to folding tyres except for the extra cost.

Top Bottom