Schwalbe Marathon Racer vs. Supreme vs. Continental Top Contcat Touring tyes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I'm looking for a new pair of tyres for my Hewiit Cheviot touring bike, I've currently got on pair of 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but they've very heavy (895g/tyre), don't give a very nice ride (I think because of the thick "smartguard" layer) and are an absolute pig to get on and off the bike, as are very rigid. I'd like something a little faster and lighter, but still strong enough for fully loaded touring (on roads), and am also thinking of going thinner - 32mm or 30mm probably. BTW I usually only take two panniers and a lightweight tent, and I'm only 11st, so there shouldn't be masses of weight on the bike, even when touring.

The Schwalbe Marathon Racer is much lighter (the 35mm version is 465g, the 30mm version 395g) and is a foldable tyre (so could even carry a spare on longer trips). Alternatively there's the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme - 35mm version is 440g (520g for the non-folding version), the 32mm version 375g.

An alternative I guess would be Continental Tyres - the Top Contact II is 460g at 32mm (non-foldable).

Are either of these worth considering? What else is worth a look? Also are there any disadvantages to using a foldable tyre on a loaded bike? Will it be less strong and/or harder to fit? Thanks

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Another option I guess would be the Panaracer Pasala TG which at 32mm are 360g/410g (folding/non-folding), and reportedly are quite fast tyres, but not as robust as the Scwalbe nor Continental tyres.

potsy

Rambler
Supremes are my 'wide' tyre of choice for the CX, great tyre imo.
Had the 35's for around 4500 miles, 1 flat only in that time and they are one of the easier tyres to get on the rim, recently gone for another pair in 32 as I felt 35's (which are really 37's) were slightly too wide and didn't give much clearance under the guards :thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have 32mm Marathon Supremes on my CX - no punctures thus far (800 miles) despite being used on crap roads, green lanes and fire trails.

Seem to grip fine, roll fine - pricey devils is the only negative.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Supremes are my 'wide' tyre of choice for the CX, great tyre imo.
Had the 35's for around 4500 miles, 1 flat only in that time and they are one of the easier tyres to get on the rim, recently gone for another pair in 32 as I felt 35's (which are really 37's)

That's interesting, as I read elsewhere that the 32mm Continental Top Contacts are more like 28mm, sounds like Schwalbe's are on the fat side (which OI could certainly say for my current Marathon Plus tyres, as well as my previous Marathon XRs - which were *much* better than the Pluses BTW).

Good to know the Supremes are easy to get on and off.

were slightly too wide and didn't give much clearance under the guards :thumbsup:

Clearance will not be a problem, my Hewitt Cheviot SE has loads

I have 32mm Marathon Supremes on my CX - no punctures thus far (800 miles) despite being used on crap roads, green lanes and fire trails.

Seem to grip fine, roll fine - pricey devils is the only negative.

Well you tend to pay for what you get, and skimpy on tyres seems like false economy on a top-end tourer like my Cheviot.

Am tossing up between the Schwalbe Supremes and the Continental Top Contacts at the moment, though they're quite different types of tyres, I think

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I think it's just the 35's that are wide, it actually says it on the side they are really 622x37 :thumbsup:

Think that you're right, my 35mm Marathon Plus tyres also say 622x37, whilst this page says the 32mm and 28mm ones are 622x32 and 622x28, respectively...

BTW am thinking of putting them on DT Swiss TK540 rims. My Rigida Sputniks are worn out after almost 5 years of abuse, and I think are much heavier than I need, the DT Swiss rims are much lighter, but also strong

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have supremes on my cx but I prefer the bontrager hardcase lite on my trek. Thousands of miles without a you know what. A really good all rounder.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
According to this website, the 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes can only tale a load of 90Kg - I'm 70Kg (11st), so that leaves only 20Kg - is that meant to be for both the bike itself and my panniers and other camping kit (tent etc.) or just my luggage? If the former, that doesn't sound nearly enough for touring, and even if just for my luggage, 20Kg may be pushing it - are the 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes likely to not cope with me and a medium camping load? I don't really want to go up to the 35mm version (though they say that can cope with 105Kg), as it's closer to a 37mm (as the 37-622 spec indicates), though.

The other alternative I'm still considering is the 32mm Continental Top Contact, but that's not a folding tyre, and I suspect won't be as fast or comfortable, but probably a bit more durable... Also the weight of the 32mm Conti (460g) is similar to the folding version of the 35mm Supreme (440g), but quite a bit more than the 32mm (375g). Mind you both a way lighter than the 35mm Marathon Pluses I've had on previously (890g!), which is really didn't like at all

AlanT82

According to this website, the 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes can only tale a load of 90Kg - I'm 70Kg (11st), so that leaves only 20Kg - is that meant to be for both the bike itself and my panniers and other camping kit (tent etc.) or just my luggage? If the former, that doesn't sound nearly enough for touring, and even if just for my luggage, 20Kg may be pushing it - are the 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes likely to not cope with me and a medium camping load? I don't really want to go up to the 35mm version (though they say that can cope with 105Kg), as it's closer to a 37mm (as the 37-622 spec indicates), though.
It's 90Kg for each tyre and it is total load i.e. the bike, you and your luggage. For example, let's say your bike's weight distribution is 50/50 (not likely but it makes for an easy calculation ^_^), you weigh 70Kg, your bike is 10Kg and your luggage is 10Kg, total weight = 90Kg so according to the weight distribution you have a 45Kg load on each wheel, so well within the 90Kg max load of the tyre.

Top Bottom