Schwalbe Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I’m a fair weather rider. Always been impressed with the grip of Schwalbe Marathon in the dry.
On a ‘dodgy’ smooth paving type wet surface the other day I slid out. Only that surface but it is like the 2 compounds don’t like each other.
Has anyone else had issues with Schwalbe Marathon in the wet (and particularly on certain surfaces)?
Is there a similar tyre know to give great grip on all surfaces and in all weathers?
Many thanks.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personal experience but M+ have given me the most confidence. I am still wary on poor or wet surfaces, with them, but certainly more relaxed on such surfaces than with other brands.
There are downsides to them though. To me the ride is harsher and they can be challenging to fit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
I’m a fair weather rider. Always been impressed with the grip of Schwalbe Marathon in the dry.
On a ‘dodgy’ smooth paving type wet surface the other day I slid out. Only that surface but it is like the 2 compounds don’t like each other.
Has anyone else had issues with Schwalbe Marathon in the wet (and particularly on certain surfaces)?
Is there a similar tyre know to give great grip on all surfaces and in all weathers?
Many thanks.

I rode them for years on my winter bike. Never had an issue.

Roads are more slippy in winter though so you have to adjust your riding accordingly. Any tyre will struggle with damp roads and wet leaves.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I rode them for years on my winter bike. Never had an issue.

Roads are more slippy in winter though so you have to adjust your riding accordingly. Any tyre will struggle with damp roads and wet leaves.

Understood. However, I was going fairly slowly (worse for impact [all things relative] apparently according to me pro cycling commentators’ opinions) and I don’t see other cyclists being ‘thrown to the floor’ on the same bend, so I guess the tyre just doesn’t like that surface.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Many thanks.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Theoretically does lower pressure afford greater grip or (apart from tyre coming off lowness!) is there a too low pressure point where benefit drops off?
Thanks again

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Theoretically does lower pressure afford greater grip or (apart from tyre coming off lowness!) is there a too low pressure point where benefit drops off?
yes, significantly and in practice, as at a lower pressure, the contact patch between tyre and road will be much bigger.

too low a pressure and you risk pinch punctures and riding the tyre off the rim

the only time I ever seriously under-inflate is with 2.2" MTB tyres ... riding on hard sand beaches!

@Martinsnos I would stick within limits set by Schwalbe
https://schwalbe.com/en/pressureprof

The tackiness of the rubber usually gets lower with high wear compounds and at lower temperatures. Marathon is a comparitively hard, durable rubber.
When it comes to low traction surfaces, Marathon is not a top performer, but you always need to ride with care noting the slope direction, and minimise deviations from your heading and speed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You need softer compounds for better grip. But softer compounds mean faster wear. The Marathon has a relatively hard rubber hence less grip. You also need to bear in mind that the elasticity of a rubber compound normally decreases as it gets colder. This is why winter tyres for cars as well as having a tread more suited to conditions, use a rubber compound suited to colder temperatures and remaining pliable.

There are bike tyres designed to be used in winter which will give better grip. Their puncture resistance won’t be as good as a marathon but still pretty good.

Top Bottom