Schwalbe Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are those the spiked ones? If so I second that: amazing for riding on ice and snow; the bike handles almost like it's dry concrete. Just think before puting your foot down...
Hi Andy! The Marathon winters have studs on a semi slick thread, excellent on ice but I find not as effective on snow and slush.
I actually also have a pair of the ones you mention, the Marathon Ice spikers, studs on mountain bike like nobs. Those are supposed to be excellent in snow, but every time it has snowed heavy here, I chickened out :whistle::laugh:

Mostly because the paths are full of pedestrians (all public transport grounds to a halt here when it snows) while the roads are full of sliding cars.

I have ordered a set of Marathon Winters from Wiggle yesterday at £19 each. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-winter-kevlar-guard-rigid-spiked-road-tyre?sku=562379
Excellent, good price.
They are going to be a swine to wrap, but ideal timing as she should be back on her bike around then. She commutes a couple of days each week normally, and gritting of cycle paths is a rare occurrence.
They are quite soft tyres (not much puncture protection, you might want to use slime tubes), no bother to fit.
Note that, when brand new, they need to be run on a smootish surface for 40km (instructions on the label), to embed the studs.
Someone on here (@potsy 😄) told us of when he used those tyres brand new, headed to the woods ... lost all his studs ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For snow standard mtn bike tyres with knobs are like Velcro. For ice you want the studs or sipes.

Hi Andy! The Marathon winters have studs on a semi slick thread, excellent on ice but I find not as effective on snow and slush.
I actually also have a pair of the ones you mention, the Marathon Ice spikers, studs on mountain bike like nobs. Those are supposed to be excellent in snow, but every time it has snowed heavy here, I chickened out :whistle::laugh:

Mostly because the paths are full of pedestrians (all public transport grounds to a halt here when it snows) while the roads are full of sliding cars.

That makes sense. I use the Ice Spikes then, mainly because conditions vary along the route from snow to ice to tarmac and back to ice and I want to be ready for anything.

Thankfully I don't have to tangle with cars or pedestrians much in rural Germany.

Ice spicker what not to like, another plus is wet roots on MTB trails .😁

They're quite heavy, about a kilo each I think.

Sallar55

Veteran
We are on Marathon XR tyres , when they go I don't know what to replace them with. Another good tyre discontinued was the Marathon Extreme it rolls better than the Xr's but are kept for the dirt tracks.

Top Bottom