Schwalbe Tyre Help Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Hi all. 2 new Rocket Ron Addix Speed tubeless tyres just arrived. One of them appears to have some of the coating inside the tyre missing. A few patches along about 1/3rd of the tyre. The other tyre is perfect. It’s definitely a coating that’s missing, not a stain!

Question for the more technically minded on here, will this affect the tyre at all? Should I use or return?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
No great issue, I would use.

It’s tubeless, you’ll have worse problems to worry about than a bit of missing butyl rubber lining ( which is what that is ).

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

You will have worse problems if you are among the handful of cyclists who seem unable to make tubeless work.

You will have no problems - and several benefits - if you are among the majority of us who go tubeless with no significant bother.

Ah, I get ya now! I’ve been tubeless since last summer on 2 bikes, so not new to it as such. No issues yet... and as far as I know no holes! Iirc you were a major contributor to a few threads I was following on the subject before I made the switch.

These tyres are for a new bike I just bought, the ones that came with the bike are a bit too gnarly for my riding.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Now you mention tubeless, I've had a thought.

As you may know, an ordinary bike tyre carcass is slightly porous to air.

Tubeless bike tyres have a membrane to make them air tight.

I wonder if it's that membrane that has been damaged on your tyre.

No worries even if it is.

The sealant will deal with it, and worse way the tyre will lose pressure a tiny bit quicker.

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Bought them online, but this one is going back.

@Pale Rider looks like you we’re right in your thinking - I’ve test mounted both tyres this afternoon (no sealant) and the one with the patchy lining went from 50psi down to under 20psi in less than 2 hrs... twice! So obviously that lining has something to do with air tightness. Obviously when I add sealant this may solve it but it’s a new tyre and not cheap either! Other tyre is spot on.

Thanks for all your advice folks :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bought them online, but this one is going back.

@Pale Rider looks like you we’re right in your thinking - I’ve test mounted both tyres this afternoon (no sealant) and the one with the patchy lining went from 50psi down to under 20psi in less than 2 hrs... twice! So obviously that lining has something to do with air tightness. Obviously when I add sealant this may solve it but it’s a new tyre and not cheap either! Other tyre is spot on.

Thanks for all your advice folks :okay:

I'm surprised the small area of missing membrane made such a difference.

That's instructive, clearly ordinary bike tyres are more porous than I realised.

Probably why it's taken several sealant fills for me to get my non-tubeless ready tyres to something approaching inner tube levels of airtightness.

As you were able to achieve some airtightness without sealant in the other tyre, you have the makings of a good installation.

You will have worse problems if you are among the handful of cyclists who seem unable to make tubeless work.

You will have no problems - and several benefits - if you are among the majority of us who go tubeless with no significant bother and don’t ride enough to actually find out what a poor idea road tubeless is.

IFTFY.

Top Bottom