Sciatica and post-ride stretches..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I've always found that riding my bike gets rid of my sciatica ..... not causes it ... last time was 3 years ago, trapped in an amazing resort in Cuba for 2 weeks, gargling pain killers with large amounts of Irish whisky, kept it in control until we returned home and then a 50 miler on the bike restored me to pain free condition ...

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Well a lot of it can be addressed with some fairly basic biomechanics..
At least in cycling there's not so much outward rotating actions to complicate things.

I have a suitably stiff male student, who has been up for photo modelling before for other programmes.

He loves having his photo take for some reason.. :eek:

So I might Co opt him.

There's no point it being bendy old me, whose been at it for decades.

A lot of what does for cyclists, is also useful for other sporting activities..

And farmers too, I did some online sessions for a bunch of them a couple of weeks back.

There's a lot of folk bent into queer shapes by their occupations, or pasttimes..

And then there's the desk jockeys.. They've got another set of issues again

I'll see what I can do.

Brevity, but effectiveness, and precision, being key.

Means im not likely to be out of a job any time soon..
That sounds grand - but please don't go out of your way on my account!

If you do give it a crack I look forward to the photos of what you manage to achieve with your "suitably stiff male student" :tongue:

Google - Peter Egoscue on cycling - you will find a pre & post ride set of stretches.

I would also recommend his book "pain free" about £10 on eBay.
Thanks - I'll check it out :smile:

I loathe yoga it's the most boring hour of my week.........but it works.
Aye; that's my major complaint as I have the attention span of a stoned goldfish, while my enthusiasm is hardly helped by being so incredibly inflexible. Guess that means I'd benefit from it though; will try and commit to some basic stuff for a week to see how I fare.

I've always found that riding my bike gets rid of my sciatica ..... not causes it ... last time was 3 years ago, trapped in an amazing resort in Cuba for 2 weeks, gargling pain killers with large amounts of Irish whisky, kept it in control until we returned home and then a 50 miler on the bike restored me to pain free condition ...
Lucky you! I've had it on and off for quite a while and it always seems to rear its head after more exerting rides; which is hardly surprising given what I've read about muscle shortening etc. Thankfully in my case while unpleasant I've not reached the point of needing to treat it with painkillers; hopefully I can head off that necessity with some decent stretching!

FWIW I've been idly doing the Piriformis stretch in the Bike Radar link and have noticed the lack of mobility in my left leg (the one that's affected) - the right being able to get much closer to perpendicular across my body by comparison. Hardly surprising given the situation but interesting / reassuring to see some indication that this is the cause of the issue, while also giving me something to work on.

The sciatica definitely seems a little less severe than yesterday; present but only faintly. I'm off for a gentle ride now; will see how ruined my legs are when I return!

My mantra (and it may only apply to me !)...

You can't just cycle.

I find the routine of going to class easier that daily stretches - although I am stretching daily at the moment - as I had a major flare last autumn.

You've clearly got the wrong teacher :rolleyes:

I did Pilates classes for about five years in my early 60s because I was having a lot of back problems. It seemed to work as my back problems vanished so, as you foolishly do, I stopped doing it. Years later the back problems are starting to return, although cycling does seem to help, so I have been looking for classes near me and the only thing I can find are yoga classes. I find I need the discipline of regular classes to maintain interest.

Is there much difference in the effectiveness for back/posture issues between the two?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

It's interesting how our bodies react to changes, and the solutions we find.

Last summer after ten days of wayyyy too much farm work - and not enough yoga - (cos I was preparing to go on holibobs) I got to a campsite in the Pyrenees after eight hours on a train, and could barely move due to sciatic type pain.. It was the sitting down that did it for me I think..

I was almost thinking oh no, no two weeks backpacking trip for me, this is going to end up being a loafing by a pool holiday.

Anyway, long story short, a couple of hours remedial yoga, and I was up and carrying 13 kg on the trail for the next two weeks no problem.. Well apart from the steepness of the hills, but that's another matter.

I did Pilates classes for about five years in my early 60s because I was having a lot of back problems. It seemed to work as my back problems vanished so, as you foolishly do, I stopped doing it. Years later the back problems are starting to return, although cycling does seem to help, so I have been looking for classes near me and the only thing I can find are yoga classes. I find I need the discipline of regular classes to maintain interest.

Is there much difference in the effectiveness for back/posture issues between the two?

Totally depends on the teaching style / school / method.

I've spent five years training in, and over twenty years teaching, and being taught the Iyengar method.

Precision, extension, alignment, rigour etc etc.
It really works for putting everything back where it needs to be, at whatever age.. I've got students in their teens, and some in their eighties..

But tbh, with the rise in popularity of yoga there's some fairly vague and less rigorous schools / methodologies about nowadays.

It's horses for courses, it depends what you're after.

Don't get me wrong, there's, nothing wrong with a bit of gentle relaxing wafting - it's what some people really need.

So find out the method of teaching, and try out a class or two.. Enquire as to the qualifications of the teacher.

As with all these things there are big differences, once you start to look into it.. :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Same for me! Something to do with a roadie position stretching lower back. Anyway, usually the first thing I do.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On the yoga thing. I’m never around for classes though for a short-time did Body-balance with Mrs FF. certainly had benefits in reduced pain and general comfort.
I bought ‘Yoga for Cyclist’ but the book didn’t do it for me.
BUT! Now have joined (as many others) the multitudes doing of Yoga with Adriene on Youtube. So far only the 20min starter sessions once in a while, but it certainly helps.
She has a nice manner, is easy in the eye and explains things simply.
Just need to do it more regularly :-)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My mantra (and it may only apply to me !)...

You can't just cycle.

I find the routine of going to class easier that daily stretches - although I am stretching daily at the moment - as I had a major flare last autumn.
I think this is a very sensible approach; stands to reasons (and is supported by stuff I've read elsewhere) that hammering the same set of muscles exclusively is going to lead to some imbalance / issues with the ones that aren't getting any attention. Of course getting older doesn't help either; looks like I'm going to have to start paying more attention to stretches..

Now have joined (as many others) the multitudes doing of Yoga with Adriene on Youtube.
Adriene is my Mrs' choice too - evidently she's very popular :smile:

So, fingers' crossed things are going in the right direction; stretched this morning after getting up and have just done a gentle 40-miler with no serious problems. Had a go at stretching everything involved when I got back (quads, hamstrings, glutes and pirifirmis) and all seems well. Will look to do this regularly from now on (and maybe start doing some Yoga as in principal at least it appeals).

Probably need to look at upper body stuff too; particularly as I think I have poor lower-back flexibility which is causing pelvic rotation and perinium issues when I'm stretched out for longer periods..

I think this is a very sensible approach; stands to reasons (and is supported by stuff I've read elsewhere) that hammering the same set of muscles exclusively is going to lead to some imbalance / issues with the ones that aren't getting any attention. Of course getting older doesn't help either; looks like I'm going to have to start paying more attention to stretches..

Adriene is my Mrs' choice too - evidently she's very popular :smile:

So, fingers' crossed things are going in the right direction; stretched this morning after getting up and have just done a gentle 40-miler with no serious problems. Had a go at stretching everything involved when I got back (quads, hamstrings, glutes and pirifirmis) and all seems well. Will look to do this regularly from now on (and maybe start doing some Yoga as in principal at least it appeals).

Probably need to look at upper body stuff too; particularly as I think I have poor lower-back flexibility which is causing pelvic rotation and perinium issues when I'm stretched out for longer periods..
As up post - the Peter Egoscue book - gives a 10 minute routine as soon as you get out of bed.

Then 5 minutes pre and post ride stretches - done.! - it's been working for me.

I think though any set of stretches will help. I thought I was done for earlier this year when nerve ablation only provided short term releif - but it's settled down nicely now. 100 miles last few weeks...

Top Bottom