Sciatica - go recumbent or electric?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I've only ever ridden ICE machines. An early XXL and now a sprint with mods .

There are plenty of options out there but only 1 true leader.
I've heard good reviews of American stuff but a used ICE recumbent will be a winner all day long

Has the OP said he wants a trike ?

My reading is that he isn't totally convinced about a recumbent ?

Any I got a pretty immaculate bachetta giro for £700

OP
OP
jongooligan

jongooligan

Legendary Member
That looks brilliant but unfortunately we don't have room for it.
I would advise an Osteopath rather than Chiropractor for your sciatica. The former will provide a long term fix and give you exercise to stretch and strengthen the right muscles. A Chiro often just clicks / bashes something back into place, only for it to pop out again later.

Cycling actually stretches out the sciatic nerve, so long term will help, along with the right daily stretching exercises.

The choice of upright, ebike or recumbent is entirely separate from sorting out your sciatica.
I'll look into this but the chiropractor comes well recommended, is a keen cyclist and a former first class cricketer with loads of good stories. Oh, and I get mates rates as well.

I'll look into this but the chiropractor comes well recommended, is a keen cyclist and a former first class cricketer with loads of good stories. Oh, and I get mates rates as well.

I don't think it matters in the long run.

You just need to keep moving and as flexible as you can.

Few years back I couldn't sleep with the pain and only tramadol would releive it.

I started stretching everyday - and yes that's everyday.

The combo of daily stretching/ Pilates provided me with most of the relief - but the revelation (for me) was going to the gym and doing deadlifts - which seemed like madness - but it has worked well enough to get me back on the bike.

On the whole though - keep moving - even if you need cocodamal now and then.

DaveM77

I suffered from Sciatica a few years back and my physio recommended doing Dead lifts. Nothing to heavy. Used a cheap power bag brought from Aldi to start with just to get the back used to it then progressed up from there. Once lower back was strengthened the Sciatica vanished and has not been seen since

ChrisKz

Some recumbent trikes fold up . so dont be off put by some remarks. Both my legs are "shot" as well as knees and spine . there is no way I could ever ride a normal bike ( even with a motor ) there is just no support . At least with a recumbent , you can just stop and admire the view without dismounting. It is one of the most relaxing positions you could ever want , on a 2 or 3 wheel cycle

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I do agree with the previous posts re benefits of 'bents and seeing an osteopath and you have my sympathy.
However, from personal experience, I had sciatica in 2014 and found cycling was the only way I could get from A to B, although the hills were a struggle. For a month I couldn't walk or even stand up - the amitryptiline I was prescribed for the pain wasn't even touching the sides.
However, it did progressively clear up, although it took six months, and despite a short (4 days during a tour of Ireland) attack in 2019 has been clear.
I guess what I saying is unless you've set your heart on a 'bent or an e-bike, 3k is a lot of money to drop to mitigate a problem that may go away in time.
Also, if you’re on a bike you really enjoy riding, other options may include changing the gearing to some lower ratios?
GWS.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
exercises and stretches of the lower back are more effective for sciatica relief than a bent. In fact sitting for prolonged periods can make it worse as the discs in the lower back are compressed.

A regular bike allows one to move around to stretch the back.

Resistance exercises - whether body weight or gym - are great too.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

My osteopath does a bit of light rambling and her banter is average at best, but she's a wizz at keeping my back in shape for hockey and cycling.

byegad

Legendary Member
I live in County durham, and ride recumbent trikes. I guess you're in the West of the County.

Forget everything you know about climbing hills on an upright. You'll need low-low gears think 12" equivalent or even lower for those banks. I geared my Catrike Trail for 12" bottom, 83" top. That's a 48 big ring and 22 little up front with one of 34 in the middle to an 11-34 rear on skinny 406 tyres, with an effective 19" diameter.

Even then, when climbing South out of Wolsingham, over the bridge on the way to Hamsterley I was stopping fairly often on the climb to stop my heart beating a way out of my chest! Progress up hill is 'leisurely' in terms of speed, as has been said up-thread downhill is a blast, speed often being limited to bravery!

Comfort is assured, I had an ICE QNT and that was fun too.

Top Bottom