Sciatica - go recumbent or electric?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Haven't posted for a while as I haven't been cycling because of (you guessed it) sciatica. It's worse when I've been on hilly routes or on our tandem. Pedalling on the flat is tolerable. However, it's not flat in this part of Co. Durham.

I want to carry on cycling but there has to be some pleasure in it and at the moment that is missing.

I've tried a couple of recumbents on easy terrain and really enjoyed riding them. I've also seen plenty of them disappearing over the horizon when I've ridden audaxes in the flat lands so know what they're capable of. As luck would have it I bumped into someone who is thinking of selling a Street Machine just the other day.

I haven't ridden an electric bike but Mrs. jg hired one when we were in the Jura a couple of years ago and was mightily impressed with it, especially going uphill or into the wind. As it seems to be hard pedalling uphill that makes my sciatica worse an electric bike could be a solution.

I've got a budget of £3k tops.

What does the panel think?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Go to the G.P first before deciding anything. I've had it badly a few times but it does go eventually.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m Currently suffering with some of the worst Sciatica I’ve had in the past 40 yrs. I started getting it in my late thirties. Interestingly walking and cycling are as usual the only place I get some kind of relief. Sitting straight on the bike and working evenly has got to be good for it?

newts

Veteran
I hope the sciatica improves quickly, I would get checked by your GP & then look at some physio/stretching.
Maybe position on the bike, saddle height & reach needs a tweek.
I've suffered all my working life & found it mentally draining as well as painful.
As Oldshep, i've also found that cycling has helped immensly by freeing up tight hips & hamstrings.

Good luck with getting help from GP with sciatica. 😃

I had a recumbent when I had a back/hip problem. I loved it - although living in the traffic dense west Midlands - I couldn't really replicate my road cycling.

But going down hill on a recumbent is a total hoot - recommend it.

OP
OP
jongooligan

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. I started seeing a chiropractor last week with some immediately encouraging results but he advised me to give cycling a rest for, at least, a short period.

Mrs. jg has waded in to say she doesn't want me to have a recumbent as they're dangerous. She hasn't been more specific than that and she's reluctant to produce any evidence to back up her belief. :rolleyes:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Osteopathy is the way along with recumbent.
Ridiculous that people think a recumbent is dangerous as they just plainly are not.
Safer on my trike than bike. Faster more comfortable and cars give me way more room than just squeezing past me like they do when I'm on my bike.
Stops my legs gittering when exercised and being sat down is very relaxing for the nerves.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mrs. jg has waded in to say she doesn't want me to have a recumbent as they're dangerous. She hasn't been more specific than that and she's reluctant to produce any evidence to back up her belief. :rolleyes:

That’s because there isn’t any. If anything they are safer than your road bike. It’s to do with the WTF factor, you get noticed far more than your run of mill road cyclists, and given much more space.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I would advise an Osteopath rather than Chiropractor for your sciatica. The former will provide a long term fix and give you exercise to stretch and strengthen the right muscles. A Chiro often just clicks / bashes something back into place, only for it to pop out again later.

Cycling actually stretches out the sciatic nerve, so long term will help, along with the right daily stretching exercises.

The choice of upright, ebike or recumbent is entirely separate from sorting out your sciatica.

Thanks for the replies. I started seeing a chiropractor last week with some immediately encouraging results but he advised me to give cycling a rest for, at least, a short period.

You are less visible on a recumbent - whether it's enough to make it significantly more dangerous who knows

IME your own seeing visibility is more of an issue but you can moderate your cycling style to accommodate this.

ChrisKz

Plenty to choose from ( They are hellishly expensive to purchase ) . I cannot afford to purchase one . I took the decision to build my own . There are Recumbent Trike bike/trike groups on Facebook that are very helpful and give good and solid advise. Take a look on You tube as there are reviews as peoples videos of trips etc ( I watch quite a few ) AZUB I believe are Europe's biggest brand . KMX are budget brand , Not that many cycle shops in UK that cater for Recumbent trikes ( Which is a darn shame ) I would recommend getting a whip and flag for the trike to help with visibility for vehicle drivers . Only downside is getting on/off if you really suffer , but riding in a prone position is relaxing and less strain on your body

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Plenty to choose from ( They are hellishly expensive to purchase ) . I cannot afford to purchase one . I took the decision to build my own . There are Recumbent Trike bike/trike groups on Facebook that are very helpful and give good and solid advise. Take a look on You tube as there are reviews as peoples videos of trips etc ( I watch quite a few ) AZUB I believe are Europe's biggest brand . KMX are budget brand , Not that many cycle shops in UK that cater for Recumbent trikes ( Which is a darn shame ) I would recommend getting a whip and flag for the trike to help with visibility for vehicle drivers . Only downside is getting on/off if you really suffer , but riding in a prone position is relaxing and less strain on your body
Had my KMX Cobra over 6 years now well built, OK my be on the heavy side, but a dam good bent.

Top Bottom