Sciatica,spondylitis and other back troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tcr4x4

Veteran
I've had a quick look through the old threads but couldn't spot anything obvious.

Quick background, and the reason why I've started cycling.

At school we had to carry bags in excess of 20kg, as a very small and not very strong child, this caused me a lot of issues.

Since I was n my 20s, I suffered horribly with a bad back, but no doctor would either believe me or do anything to help.

After many years of agony, it all came to a head when walking in the Forest of Dean.
I collapsed half way round short walk and couldn't stand up again under my own weight. So how my wife managed to carry me back to the car and get me home, where I spent the rest of the day stuck on the sofa, unable to move and in tears.

From that point, it took a further 2 years and many dozens of GP appointments to get an X-ray, which was then (deliberately in my opinion) taken at the wrong angle to show anything and again I was told I was fine.

I changed GP surgeries again, and this time had to get quite irate and demand something be done. Thankfully this GP took me seriously and booked me in for an MRI, which took another 6 months to actually take place!

The MRI showed I had several issues, among them was a ruptured disk and possible spondylitis.
I was given drugs and sent on my my to see if that helped, which it didnt.
I was then referred to the pain clinic for an epidural injection, which is the most painful thing I've ever had in my life. I feel no shame in saying I cried as the doctor tried to force a 12 inch needle through my tense muscle into my spinal cord. He commented on how he had never come across muscles so tight in his 20 year career.

That also didnt work, so I was then sent on a 8 week course of acupuncture. After the first week, I had gotten really bad again, and was unable to walk.. ( I must add throughout this, apart from an odd week here and there, I continued in my job as an HGV driver which also involves lifting and pushing 200kg+ oil drums by hand, hence I have very little sympathy for work shy benefit scrounngers!)

I contacted my GP who immediately put me in contact with the orthopaedic dept at the hospital.
Shortly after, I had another MRI and was then put on the waiting list for spinal surgery.

Bewteen the times in those several years, where I felt ok, I had taken up running, and completed several 5km races, finishing in the top 10 most times, however it soon became apparent that running was talking its toll, and I had to stop for good.

In January 2011 I had a 5 1/2 hour operation on my spine, consisting of a double discectomy, spinal fusion at L4/5-S1 and a pedicel screw road fixation with a bone graft from my hip.
I was in hospital for a week and then was forced to have the next 6 months off work. ( only on ssp, no other benifits!!)

I was hoping that was where there story would end, but sadly it didnt..

Even now, 2 years post op, I'm still in agony 24/7 and I still struggle to walk long distances. Some days are better than others, but most of the time its very bad. The NHS didn't think I needed any Physio after this op, I was just discharged and that was it, so my back muscles had been through a massive trauma, and then left to heal themselves. This I feel caused some of my issues I still have today.

Last November, I was in a car crash, thanks to a pillock in a chaved up car ramming me off the road on a failed overtake, this caused more muscle trauma and set me back several months, I needed a futher 3 weeks off work as again, I couldn't walk.
As part of the insurance claim, I was offered Physio, which I took and helped a lot, but now that's ended it's up to me to keep my back muscles in shape.

Running was out of the question, the Physio recommend swimming or rock climbing, neither of which floated my boat.

So when my car broke down a few weeks back, I dug out the bike and started riding. I'm hoping that this will help keep my muscles working, but with minimal physical impact, and hopefully in time will alleviate some of the pain I'm constantly in.

I may use this post as a kind of "back pain" diary and track my progress if any.

The main point of this now stupidly long post was to say, if any one else suffers from back pain, wants someone to talk to who has been through it, or has any questions about the various procedures the NHS offers, then feel free to ask. I've been through pretty much every pain killer and infmaation control drugs the NHS has, aswell as all the other treatments, so I'm pretty well clued up on the subject!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Tcr4x4 All sounds pretty horrendous :sad:

I have had a slightly dodgy back most of my days. Nothing too bad. Just have to be careful.

3 years ago though, I had a bad cold and somehow managed to "pop" something during a bad bout of coughing. Got very painful sciatica. Initial pain went reasonably quickly but I have been left ever since with a numbness running down the back of my left leg and outside of my foot. A few months ago I noticed a mad twitching in the nerves/muscles in both lower legs which is possibly connected so thought I better go to the docs.

Great health service here in Tayside. Saw the Dr and he just lets the hospital know he requires you to have an x-ray. You turn up when it suits and usually get taken within 10 minutes. Phone appointment he said there was narrowing/compression at the L4 and L5 vertebrae and, due to the numbess thought an MRI would be a good idea. Got that within a couple of weeks and have a phone appointment tomorrow afternoon to discuss the results.

However, I don't think I would be prepared to try any major surgery as I don't fancy being hospitalised when I live on my own with animals to care for. If there was a minor procedure that could be done as day surgery that would maybe free up a trapped nerve or something I may consider it. Otherwise, I can see it just being a case of taking painkillers when required and trying to work on my core muscles and just being careful with bending/lifting etc.

Cycling doesn't seem to have made it any worse although I struggle sometimes pushing hard into a headwind or doing longer distances/climbing.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
I certainly wouldnt advise the surgery, except in the very last resort. You may find physio the best opttion, as not only will they be able to give you the correct exercises to perform to best aleviate the symptoms, they may also be able to "free" the nerve or discs if they have bulged.
Obviously your health professionals will provide you with the best options, or the ones they believe best. Just dont let them fob you off with drugs.
I spent about 3 years on all sorts of different drugs, and it cant be healthy. The underlying problem was never tended to, just masking the issue with drugs.

The epidural injection is a day surgery proceedure, and seems to work well for many people, just not for me sadly.

Keep us informed about the results, sounds like your health service is on the ball and things are progressing quickly, unlike the poor excuse for a health service I encountered here.

Paul_L

Über Member
@Tcr4x4, sounds awful. Have things improved since you've started cycling.

I can certainly relate to your story. I used to do a lot of competitive running up until my mid 30s (i'm 43 now), before i started to feel some back pain. I saw a physio at the time who concluded my right leg is about 1cm shorter than my left, which was the cause of my back pain. A bit of physio and a shoe insert later and i'm back running, although not to the same level, and this should have been the warning of what was to come.

Within a few months, the back pain and sciatica spasms became unbareable that i packed in running altogether, but the damage was done. This is probably about 2007 and i muddled through the next 2 or 3 years with back pain coming and going. I did start cycling through this period, but on occasions, the sciatic pain was constant and i couldn't really ride a bike pain free. Then on new year's day 2010, i had a massive back spasm. Pain i've never experienced before. The pain that literally has you screaming with pain and in constant tears, I was confined to the living room floor for 2 weeks and off work for 6 weeks. I'm very lucky to have BUPA through work and i had access to a MRI scan as soon as i was able to get out of the house. I shall forever be grateful for this immediate intervention. I had a L5-S1 disc prolapse. I had two epidural cortisone injections over the course of 4 weeks, which 3.5 years later, i'm relieved to say did the trick. I still get the odd bad day, but i know the signs and look after my back accordingly. I've not even run for the bus since and can't even have a kick about with my kids, but i can cycle without any impact. That's how i got into cycling and it has been the saving for me.

Good luck chap.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Cheers! Its scary how many people have similar issues once you start talking about it!

Too early to tell for me if the cycling is helping, but I cant see how it wont. Loosing some weight has got to help, Ive lost a stone already, Im down from 13 stone to 11st 12. Plus it should build up my core and stabilise that area a bit more, whcih has got to be a good thing.
Also it gets me out of the house on an afternoon when Ive finished work!

Rewind to five years ago,i visited my gp (first time for 6 yrs).
with pain in my hip, i described to her as like having tooth ache in my hip, quick examination and sent away with being told to take pain killers ,nothing seriously wrong she said.
A few weaks later i pay har another visit telling her that ive fell a couple of times due to numbness in my right leg , again shes not really interested,
Time for a change of gp , first time i see him , emergency referall for mri scan,which i had within a week , two herniated discs between , L3,L4 L5, , masses of extra bone growth (osteophites) and nerve root compromise,told me i have a degenerative disease and have since been told surgery is not an option .
Ive since had physio , tens, accupuncture, traction , 6 facet joint injections, 3 epidurals,
an mri scan annually, just so they can tell me how much worse its got (as if i dont know)

im currently taking a shed full of various tablets every day,

@Tcr4x4 , one thing that really helps me is the duragesic patches that i change every 72 hrs , the active drug being FENTANYL, but do read up on it before you consider asking your pain management doc about it . (google fentanyl before you consider it , and you will see what i mean) put simply , without it i would be f$ck*d,

As far as cycling goes, ive given up the road bike , just too uncomfortable, i know ride just my mountain bike (no mountains involved) canal tow paths, fire trails etc, and saving up for a recumbent trike:hyper:

good luck

RR

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Must look Into those patches, last week or so have been quite bad. Don't know if its the cycling, or just one of those things, but its getting to be a pain.. Pun intended. I can't sleep as I just can't get comfortable.

Tomorrows 4x4 offroading trip probably won't help, but dammit I'm fed up of sacrificing my pleasure all the time!

jeltz

Veteran
Well this thread makes me feel quite the lucky one!

I've had a dodgy back for many years and was hit with sciatica at Christmas, the worst pain I have ever experienced. The doctors don't want to do an MRI and the GP, Orthopaedic nurse and physio have all diagnosed a prolapsed disc between L4 & L5. After the sciatic pain had subsided I initially had a numb right leg from hip to toe with a loss of power in the foot; over the months the power has improved a bit and the numbness at its worst now starts in the lower calf and at its best only affects the ball of my foot and toes. The Physio has given me exercises which seem to be helping but don't think there's much else they can do. The medics are more concerned about whether it gets worse than better.

I think that getting back to proper fitness and rebuilding core strength is my best bet, to that end I did about 45 minutes on my road bike today and although the numbness got worse, it always does when I exercise and it was no worse than after I walk the dog which usually is 2-3 miles.

I don't know if my road bike will be viable yet but if not I'm quite taken with the Chris Boardman hybrids in Halfords (sorry for swearing).

Well back to the Mckenzies ;)

My back problems are insignificant in comparison but they at least give me some idea of what you've been/are going through.

Cycling I have found, is pretty neutral and easy on most joints, in many ways it's an ideal exercise but it is just that, neutral, it won't work your back as such. Swimming will and it's weight bearing, I won't mention rock climbing :smile: There's also stuff like yoga and Tai Chi, they don't do it for me, though I've taken elements of stretching and movement from both now. It seems to be what has sorted my back this time as it's the stretching I've been doing using Tai Chi movements and yoga movements which has reached the seized muscles but you are way beyond a few seized muscles, still it may help.

doog

Fellow back sufferer here. I injured my back in 2008, it was quite a traumatic injury out of the blue (lifting) with no history of back trouble. I was diagnosed with a prolapse at L5/S1 and eventually found some medication that worked for me (Diclofenac) . I had plenty of physio etc and despite seeing two surgeons decided to avoid surgery. I also had two epidurals with no joy under a local (really uncomfortable)

I never fully recovered and was forced to give up running. I managed to carry on cycling but the sciatica was always there in some way, shape or form (and quite often masked by the diclofenac) along with constant lower back pain. I had several severe bouts of sciatica that would literally floor me over the next few years.

In 2012 I bit the bullet and went for surgery having been told by the surgeon that the prolapse would never go away and would always be troublesome. In the months that followed the surgery it became obvious to me that something serious was going on. I just wasnt getting better and still drugged to the hilt. Eventually another MRI revealed that the disc had prolapsed again but on the other side. So I now had the same sciatic symptoms but down the other bloody leg !!The surgeon wanted to operate again but I found the last surgery to be so traumatic that I bottled it. Instead I went down the route of epidurals (this time under a general ) which was so much better. It was done by the same surgeon and he knew exactly where to put that needle.

Needless to say they only gave me a few weeks relief before it all came back. I am now in a worse condition than I was before the operation, currently on Gabapantin, Naproxen and amitriptyline and life is a sod.Some days I cant walk, drive, sleep and have to sleep on a solid floor. I now know that like before the disc will never heal so have opted for surgery again, which is happening next month.

Having undergone the amount of physio I have I know it just isnt going to get that prolapse off the nerve. I can understand the benefit of core strengthening to prevent future problems but physio was pretty ineffective for me, and Im sure on occasion it put me back months.

I'm told the disc is stable enough for another discectomy, which is a relief as the alternative is fusion.As for cycling, every surgeon, consultant, nurse, physio I have seen over the last 5 years has encouraged it, so when I can I do.

Sara_H

Guru
I've had a quick look through the old threads but couldn't spot anything obvious.

Quick background, and the reason why I've started cycling.

At school we had to carry bags in excess of 20kg, as a very small and not very strong child, this caused me a lot of issues.

Since I was n my 20s, I suffered horribly with a bad back, but no doctor would either believe me or do anything to help.

After many years of agony, it all came to a head when walking in the Forest of Dean.
I collapsed half way round short walk and couldn't stand up again under my own weight. So how my wife managed to carry me back to the car and get me home, where I spent the rest of the day stuck on the sofa, unable to move and in tears.

From that point, it took a further 2 years and many dozens of GP appointments to get an X-ray, which was then (deliberately in my opinion) taken at the wrong angle to show anything and again I was told I was fine.

I changed GP surgeries again, and this time had to get quite irate and demand something be done. Thankfully this GP took me seriously and booked me in for an MRI, which took another 6 months to actually take place!

The MRI showed I had several issues, among them was a ruptured disk and possible spondylitis.
I was given drugs and sent on my my to see if that helped, which it didnt.
I was then referred to the pain clinic for an epidural injection, which is the most painful thing I've ever had in my life. I feel no shame in saying I cried as the doctor tried to force a 12 inch needle through my tense muscle into my spinal cord. He commented on how he had never come across muscles so tight in his 20 year career.

That also didnt work, so I was then sent on a 8 week course of acupuncture. After the first week, I had gotten really bad again, and was unable to walk.. ( I must add throughout this, apart from an odd week here and there, I continued in my job as an HGV driver which also involves lifting and pushing 200kg+ oil drums by hand, hence I have very little sympathy for work shy benefit scrounngers!)

I contacted my GP who immediately put me in contact with the orthopaedic dept at the hospital.
Shortly after, I had another MRI and was then put on the waiting list for spinal surgery.

Bewteen the times in those several years, where I felt ok, I had taken up running, and completed several 5km races, finishing in the top 10 most times, however it soon became apparent that running was talking its toll, and I had to stop for good.

In January 2011 I had a 5 1/2 hour operation on my spine, consisting of a double discectomy, spinal fusion at L4/5-S1 and a pedicel screw road fixation with a bone graft from my hip.
I was in hospital for a week and then was forced to have the next 6 months off work. ( only on ssp, no other benifits!!)

I was hoping that was where there story would end, but sadly it didnt..

Even now, 2 years post op, I'm still in agony 24/7 and I still struggle to walk long distances. Some days are better than others, but most of the time its very bad. The NHS didn't think I needed any Physio after this op, I was just discharged and that was it, so my back muscles had been through a massive trauma, and then left to heal themselves. This I feel caused some of my issues I still have today.

Last November, I was in a car crash, thanks to a pillock in a chaved up car ramming me off the road on a failed overtake, this caused more muscle trauma and set me back several months, I needed a futher 3 weeks off work as again, I couldn't walk.
As part of the insurance claim, I was offered Physio, which I took and helped a lot, but now that's ended it's up to me to keep my back muscles in shape.

Running was out of the question, the Physio recommend swimming or rock climbing, neither of which floated my boat.

So when my car broke down a few weeks back, I dug out the bike and started riding. I'm hoping that this will help keep my muscles working, but with minimal physical impact, and hopefully in time will alleviate some of the pain I'm constantly in.

I may use this post as a kind of "back pain" diary and track my progress if any.

The main point of this now stupidly long post was to say, if any one else suffers from back pain, wants someone to talk to who has been through it, or has any questions about the various procedures the NHS offers, then feel free to ask. I've been through pretty much every pain killer and infmaation control drugs the NHS has, aswell as all the other treatments, so I'm pretty well clued up on the subject!

An absolutely horrendous experience. I had sciatic back pain for about 4 years and had trouble getting help. In retrospect it was alot worse than even I was admitting to myself. Somedays were worse than others, some days I could hardley walk, some days I couldn't pick up a mug, my back couldn't support the extra weight.

I had a toddler/small child at the time. If he fell down I couldn't pick him up. I just used to get down on the ground with him until he stopped crying and was ready to get up and go, we must have looked a right sight!

I eventually had to change my GP as mine was very dismissive and told me to take paracetamol, and keep working. I was a clinical nurse, doing long heavy shifts and this advice was wrong and probably caused alot of damage.
On the first visit to my new GP she referred me to neuro surgeons, pain specialists and physios. I literally cried with relief.

I was offered surgery but declined. My pain eventually recovered with a combination of physio and doing pilates at home.

I don't have any pain now, but the awful episode has left its legacy I have reduced sensation and reflexes in my left side and when I'm tired I notice that I bump into door frames etc, alway on the left side. I also have to be careful with my balance on the bike, taking my right arm off the handlebars to indicate is tricky, so if theres traffic I often have to pull over and cross the road on foot!

I took up cycling again as walking has just become impossible. Buggered my back up in a couple of riding (horse) accidents many years ago, and have a bit of bone that sticks out and through my spinal cord, holding it in place. They won't operate because they can't guarantee not putting me in a wheelchair. I don't push it because I can get around just fine. I just can't go yomping off across the hills.
Found that acupuncture and physio make it worse :sad:. Only problem I have is getting decent painkillers - the ones I used occasionally they now won't prescribe :cry:. My left leg is constantly numb in places and my back is pretty much constantly niggly, and my foot goes dead within a few minutes of cycling - but I can get out and about, and that's all I really care about. If it hurts later - well, it eventually (if not always quickly) wears off back to its usual level. Can't push too hard up hills either, which probably accounts for my lack of enthusiasm and ability to get up anything resembling a hill!

And in long-winded fashion I was getting to the point that it might not completely help your back, but a bit of non-impact exercise is better than nothing for trying to strengthen things up :smile:.

I took up cycling again as walking has just become impossible. Buggered my back up in a couple of riding (horse) accidents many years ago, and have a bit of bone that sticks out and through my spinal cord, holding it in place. They won't operate because they can't guarantee not putting me in a wheelchair. I don't push it because I can get around just fine. I just can't go yomping off across the hills.
Found that acupuncture and physio make it worse :sad:. Only problem I have is getting decent painkillers - the ones I used occasionally they now won't prescribe :cry:. My left leg is constantly numb in places and my back is pretty much constantly niggly, and my foot goes dead within a few minutes of cycling - but I can get out and about, and that's all I really care about. If it hurts later - well, it eventually (if not always quickly) wears off back to its usual level. Can't push too hard up hills either, which probably accounts for my lack of enthusiasm and ability to get up anything resembling a hill!

And in long-winded fashion I was getting to the point that it might not completely help your back, but a bit of non-impact exercise is better than nothing for trying to strengthen things up :smile:.

if youre having trouble finding decent pain killers,

see my earlier post but if you do consider fentanyl patches DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST,i was prescibed by my pain management clinic, seriously strong, with some nasty side effects. but they work for me in conjunction with gabapentin and amitriptyline,

Last edited:
Top Bottom