Scirocco 35mm Wear Indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zer07

I have a pair of Scirocco 35mm wheels and having trouble determining the rim wear limit. I cannot find a wear indicator on these so unsure whether to replace or give them a bit longer. They've done about 6,300 miles and if I hold a ruler vertically down the rim there is about 1/2 to 1mm of light showing through on the rear wheel. The front wheel wear is a little less that this.

Any suggestions? Googling for these wheels hasn't turned up anything I can hang my hat on.

With 1mm gone, it is time to start thinking of replacing. It will start to crack at 1.5mm gone.

Where is the dental caliper man when you need him? @User come in and do your thing.

OP
OP
Z

zer07

As an aside, a life of 10,000km seems poor for a set of rims, unless they have seen extremes of environment/use/heavy rider/urban stop/start.

They have been used for commuting, so very much stop/start. What would you think is a more reasonable mileage?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They have been used for commuting, so very much stop/start. What would you think is a more reasonable mileage?
There isn't one. On a best dry weather only bike rims can last for years. All year round commuting and you can knacker a rim in one bad winter.

I'd never again buy a bike with rim brakes, discs are the way to go.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What would you think is a more reasonable mileage?
Your riding conditions are hard on rims (as @Smokin Joe has said.
What brake blocks are you using?
My old MA3 rim (rim brakes, front wheel) has just been retired after an accident, but that had 25,000+km on it - in late August I sought the advice of my LBS (it has no 'wear indicator') but they said it had plenty of life left. I have used simple Clarks or BBB brake blocks which I think are 'gentle' on rims, comparatively.

OP
OP
Z

zer07

Your riding conditions are hard on rims (as @Smokin Joe has said.
What brake blocks are you using?

I've been using the SwissStop brake blocks, mainly because I've found them very good in wet and dry conditions and they last a lot longer than other cheaper ones. I don't know whether these are any harsher than others though.

There isn't one. On a best dry weather only bike rims can last for years. All year round commuting and you can knacker a rim in one bad winter.

I'd never again buy a bike with rim brakes, discs are the way to go.

I do ride all year round so they could be exposed to harsh conditions. You've got me thinking about disc brakes though, I think it would be worth pricing this up (new forks, disc wheel and brake levers).

Thanks for the feedback, most helpful.

Top Bottom