Scored some A600 pedals, plus OCD overview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like @Dogtrousers I have a pair of A520s...

View attachment 529174

I agree with your mini-review of this type of pedal! :whistle:

Trying to start off on some of the steep climbs round here was like playing Russian Roulette. After a couple of near-falls I stuck them on the old bike on my turbo trainer and now have double-sided SPDs on my other bikes.
I can't recall ever having a problem but I did a lot of my cycling with just one foot clipped in until I felt safe to clip the other foot in.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't recall ever having a problem but I did a lot of my cycling with just one foot clipped in until I felt safe to clip the other foot in.
Try it on a 15% upward slope...!

I would stomp down with my clipped in right foot and try to get my left foot clipped in before running out of momentum. If the pedal were the right way up then I would be ok. If it were the wrong way up then half the time my foot would slip off and I'd come to a very sudden stop, hopefully without hurting myself!

I would be much less worried when starting off on a flat road.

Try it on a 15% upward slope...!

I would stomp down with my clipped in right foot and try to get my left foot clipped in before running out of momentum. If the pedal were the right way up then I would be ok. If it were the wrong way up then half the time my foot would slip off and I'd come to a very sudden stop, hopefully without hurting myself!

I would be much less worried when starting off on a flat road.
I think the steepest I took them up was 21%, the were fine on that :okay: I went to spd-sl when I moved to the flatlands. I did consider digging them out and refitting at the start of lockdown but I'd worn out my mtb shoes :rolleyes:

ColinJ

I think the steepest I took them up was 21%, the were fine on that :okay: I went to spd-sl when I moved to the flatlands. I did consider digging them out and refitting at the start of lockdown but I'd worn out my mtb shoes :rolleyes:
It wasn't riding up that was the problem; it was starting off on steep slopes. There was only one chance to clip in. A few times my foot slipped off the back of the pedal when it was the wrong way up.

It wasn't riding up that was the problem; it was starting off on steep slopes. There was only one chance to clip in. A few times my foot slipped off the back of the pedal when it was the wrong way up.
I thought that's what you meant :smile: At the time I had the pedals I hardly ever got off on a climb but sometimes you'd p'ture I cant recall it being a problem for me but I said before I did only pedal with one foot until I felt comfortable to clip in. A technique I use for all clipless pedals, not just the old A520's so they didn't stand out as being problematic :okay:

ColinJ

You must be very strong to pedal up a 21% climb one-legged - I find it hard work using BOTH legs! :laugh:

I bust a crank once 7 or 8 kms from home and had to ride back one-legged, but at least that was on a relatively flat route.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was out riding up some pretty steep hills on Saturday using A520s. Plenty of 20%+ sections.

I typically don't stop on these hills, but as some are narrow lanes it can be unavoidable when there's a vehicle coming down. I think I had to stop at least once on a steep one. I can restart OK (dont ask me how, my feet are in charge of that, not me) but it's not as simple as it is with double sided SPDs.

Top Bottom