Scotland at Easter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I'd second Mull or Arran, both hilly, with stunning scenery, lots of wildlife (birds of prey, seals, dolphins etc). Arran is a tad small for a weekend of cycling if you are using b&b's you'll be round it 3 times!!
I have just spent the weekend cycling through the Lammermuir hills, very nice but a bit too much like dartmoor or yorkshire moors to be worth the trip IMO.

The dramatic stuff in scotland is in the highlands so I would recommend going north from glasgow.

something like this?

or better yet get the train to fort william and cycle back to glasgow along the west coast.

Cathryn, my group tour to the Trossachs last May was fab.

Crispin, one of my chums has posted pics here:

I can not recommend enough if you want quiet roads, hills and scenery.
There are photos here - if the link works!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/stirlingcrispin/WorldTourOfScotland#

Some great climbs and descents too

rualexander

Legendary Member
Great tour and photos Gary. Very similar route to that which I suggested above although the opposite direction? Either way round is good though.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
hubbike said:
... Arran is a tad small for a weekend of cycling if you are using b&b's you'll be round it 3 times!!

That depends on if you are riding a fully loaded touring bike, or racing round on an unloaded road bike on a club ride. This is the touring section, can we have a wee bit of reality please. :smile:

Arran and Islay/Gigha is good. Arran is a cracking Island and well worth considering if you want to do a couple of days cycling in combination with some walking or similiar.

Suddenly I'm sitting in the Catacol hotel garden in the sun with a pint...........fab.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
hubbike said:
I'd second Mull or Arran, both hilly, with stunning scenery, lots of wildlife (birds of prey, seals, dolphins etc). Arran is a tad small for a weekend of cycling if you are using b&b's you'll be round it 3 times!!
I have just spent the weekend cycling through the Lammermuir hills, very nice but a bit too much like dartmoor or yorkshire moors to be worth the trip IMO.

The dramatic stuff in scotland is in the highlands so I would recommend going north from glasgow.

Hubbike - I'm quite overwhelmed by your planned route for us!! Thanks! Awesome

hubbike

Hairy Jock said:
That depends on if you are riding a fully loaded touring bike, or racing round on an unloaded road bike on a club ride. This is the touring section, can we have a wee bit of reality please. :sad:

Cathryn mentioned that she was going to be staying in B&Bs and so presumably not fully loaded with the tent etc. Either way the 50 mile loop around Arran in a day is not overly excessive even on a fully loaded bike. Welcome to reality Hairy Jock!

So, with a long weekend to play with going a bit further afield seems a good plan. Also, my suggested route took in the hilly north section of the island which is the most attractive. (and probably brought about the 'Scotland in miniature' moniker).

Cathryn, didn't notice that you are driving up, in that case avoid Glasgow like the plague and start/finish somewhere nice.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
hubbike said:
Cathryn mentioned that she was going to be staying in B&Bs and so presumably not fully loaded ...

You obviously don't have a wife... :ohmy:

I went to arran - camped close to where I disembarked from the ferry - set off in morning intending to poddle to the other side and camp - ended up putting the tent up on the same spot that I had taken it down from in the morning

psmiffy said:
I went to arran - camped close to where I disembarked from the ferry - set off in morning intending to poddle to the other side and camp - ended up putting the tent up on the same spot that I had taken it down from in the morning

Yes I've been around Arran in 5 hours. It's quite a challenging and enjoyable 56 miles. The point about Arran is it's a good launch point across to Islay, Gigha, Oban and therefore Mull and the outer Hebrides and back into the Highlands via Ullapool. You can get the train to the ferry from Glasgow if arriving just by bike. I've done that, Carlisle to Glasgow and then to the ferry.

The most I've spent there on a bike is 3 nights. Arrive, across to Lochranza, stay. Next day around the island, stay. Next day ferry off and over to Islay.

I've also spent weeks and long weekends there, walking, cycling and lazing on the beach, oh and hacking around a golf course, badly.

It's a great island.

My partner of the time was not best pleased by all the packing and unpacking and 56miles fully loaded

Kyle to Kyle via Uist, lewis and Harris is a nice ride for a long weekend - but care is needed with ferries as it can become a very long weekend as I discovered

Top Bottom