Scotland at Easter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The husband and I are muttering about going to Scotland for this coming Easter weekend. Where should we go? Likely to start around Glasgow/Loch Lomond but after that we know nothing. We want beauty and hills! And B&Bs.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Glasgo and Loch Lomond and it's environs are OK but not that brilliant.

I'll be a tad further south doing the Reivers Route through the borders - enough hills and beauty to be found there I think.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
How about heading south from Glasgow (or starting in Carlisle) and doing the southern bit of the Lochs and Glens cycle route. I was walking round there last Easter and there are definitely some hills! There are also some beautifully quiet, scenic roads, perfect for cycling.

Loch Lomond is very nice but it will be busy over Easter. As suggested, further South, border country etc., is also very beautiful.

Cathryn said:
Thank you! I shall spend the afternoon with a map!

You could do the 'Magnatom Commute Sight Seeing Tour'. I charge reasonable rates! :ohmy:

....and to your left you can see where Magnatom had his incident with the bullying white van driver....

:smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
You could do the 'Magnatom Commute Sight Seeing Tour'. I charge reasonable rates! :wacko:

....and to your left you can see where Magnatom had his incident with the bullying white van driver....

:biggrin:

Na, seen it all on YouTube...

Be aware that the border country can get very busy, especially at Easter. I would suggest a tour of Arran (Scotland in miniature), but if you want to do this may sure you have accommodation before you go as the island does get booked out. The further north you go the easier it is to get accommodation, Mull is a good option for a long weekend...

rualexander

Legendary Member
Are you going to be touring or doing day rides? How many days do you have for cycling? What are your normal daily distances? Is your start point determined by train stations or are you leaving a car somewhere?
Arran is good but you can get round it in a day, or two at most, so you might want to go on from there to Kintyre etc. or even Islay depending on ferry schedules.
Mull is excellent and would probably be my choice, bit further to travel to Oban than Glasgow though.
On the mainland starting just out of Glasgow a good tour would be up to Aberfoyle, round Loch Katrine then on to Callander, next day take the cycle track to Killin then minor roads up Glen Lochay and down Glen Lyon to Kenmore, day three over Glen Quaich and Sma' Glen to Crieff, Comrie and Loch Earn, day four back to Callander then Thornhill, Kippen, Fintry, Lennoxtown and back to Glasgow. Total distance about 220 miles.

MichaelM

Guru
rualexander said:
On the mainland starting just out of Glasgow a good tour would be up to Aberfoyle, round Loch Katrine then on to Callander, next day take the cycle track to Killin then minor roads up Glen Lochay and down Glen Lyon to Kenmore, day three over Glen Quaich and Sma' Glen to Crieff, Comrie and Loch Earn, day four back to Callander then Thornhill, Kippen, Fintry, Lennoxtown and back to Glasgow. Total distance about 220 miles.

Some fantastic riding there (with some hard climbs - Glen Lochay to Glen Lyon and Glen Quaich).

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
rualexander said:
Are you going to be touring or doing day rides? How many days do you have for cycling? What are your normal daily distances? Is your start point determined by train stations or are you leaving a car somewhere?
Arran is good but you can get round it in a day, or two at most, so you might want to go on from there to Kintyre etc. or even Islay depending on ferry schedules.
Mull is excellent and would probably be my choice, bit further to travel to Oban than Glasgow though.

Right. Answers. Generally we do 'moving on' rides but we'd consider day rides. We're driving, so we can start anywhere, but clearly need to finish there. We have four days - fourth day shorter, so we can drive home. I'm loving the mini tour you recommended...I'm going to investigate that. Thank you all.

rualexander

Legendary Member
If you want to shorten that route I suggested then I would suggest leaving your car in Aberfoyle and starting/finishing there.

TwoTired

Since you mentioned Glasgow, I'll restrict my comments to the surrounding area as everywhere's likely to be busier if the weather's good. Avoid Loch Lomond and Trossachs. The Kyles Of Bute should be quieter as getting there usually involves ferries. Train to either Gourock or Wemyss Bay and then ferry to Hunter's Quay or Bute. Head towards Kames (if you want hills) or N (Strachur Inveraray if you dont). Of course you could do both! Book accommodation in advance - not plentiful except in Dunoon/Rothesay

Top Bottom