taking e-bikes to Scotland by train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciren-ebike

We’re thinking of doing part or all of the Calendonia Way (78) in Sept, has anyone else taken e-bikes up to Scotland by train? Is it feasible, taking into account their weight? Is pre-booking possible and are the racks big enough? One-way van hire is the other possibility that we have thought about..……

We’re thinking of doing part or all of the Calendonia Way (78) in Sept, has anyone else taken e-bikes up to Scotland by train? Is it feasible, taking into account their weight? Is pre-booking possible and are the racks big enough? One-way van hire is the other possibility that we have thought about..……
I am sure someone will have better information available than I have, but AFAIK, a legal e-bike is carried under the same T&C as any other bike. I did look into it last year when I was thinking of getting an e-bike, as I don't drive, so the ability to take a bike on public transport is important to me.

You will need to check the T&C of the companies which operate the trains you intend to use, and you will be responsible for loading and unloading the bikes yourself. It may help to have a few short local 'runs out' using a train to get out or to get back, so you have some idea of the best ways to load and unload when you're not stressed out or carrying loads of gear!

Edit - many train companies insist you make advance reservations if you want to take a bike with you.

Welcome to Cyclechat BTW.

Slick

Guru
Yes its definitely possible but it can be a pain in the ass at times depending on your route. You can pre book on some services and some you have to take your chances with. One of the real problems I found with Mrs Slicks ebike was when it was to be hung by the front wheel. I decided to give that a miss but it did cause a bit of bother I could have done without. Other than that, it should be straightforward enough.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Where are you coming FROM?
As far as I am aware, on the west coast main line trains it is still the same as when it was run by Virgin trains. Advance booking is a must, and they DO enforce it. Same on the east coast line via Edinburgh. Cross Country trains IME are a bit less strict, but is it worth taking a chance?
If you are heading for Inverness, advance booking is again required and in my experience they are extremely strict on that line (Glasgow Queen Street or Edinburgh to Inverness on Scotrail). It's used by LEJOG/JOGLEr's and can get busy. When I was returning from Inverness with a bike once (pre-booked) a group of 3 trying to board the same train were turned away.
Not sure about the Glasgow/Fort William line as I have never used it, but I would assume it is similar.
As far as it being an e-bike; I can't see that that would make any difference to it being carried. For all intents and purposes it is the same as a non electric bike.

I'll just point out that the racks/bike spaces etc can and do vary in size, type and complexity on both different train types and between different companies, there is no set 'standard rack' that you can check the measurements of your bike against ...

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Is it feasible, taking into account their weight?
Yes, but for all the reasons folks have outlined, it's not for the feint of heart.
As someone one said, 'If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same', you'll be fine.

As far as 'weight' is concerned, be sure you're capable of hefting the bikes up and into the carriage (and down and out on arrival), and perhaps lifting the front end to hang from a wall-mounted hook. Then of course, depending on the facilities at the station(s) you will be using, you may need to lug the bikes up and down stairs. If there are two of you, that might make things easier, but ... see next comments.
Is pre-booking possible ...
Yes, and as others have said, necessary on some services. Booking presents its own challenges of course, which increase in proportion to the complexity of your journey. If just a single train between you and your destination, it's not too bad. When it involves multiple connecting services, it can become more complicated.
To book a seat on a particular service is relatively easy because there are (usually) many seats. Some trains however, may only have a handful or even just two cycle spaces, so booking on a particular train may be harder, especially if you need two (or more!) bike spaces. If you then need to book spaces on one train then another connecting service, it's easy to see how tricky it can become. In essence, book as early as possible (usually up to 3 months in advance) and if you can be flexible about your timings, that will work in your favour.
Where to book? Some online booking services don't allow you to book bikes (e.g. thetrainline.com), whereas others do (e.g. redspottedhanky.com, and some train operators sites). If a multi-stage journey, before you part with cash for your first stage, make sure you can book the bikes on subsequent stages.
Alternatively, again in plenty of time, head for a station with a ticketing office. Don't try this in a short lunch break, if you need to catch a train/bus, or if your car is on a meter; it can take some time. The cashier has to go through all the steps you would to find trains with adequate bike spaces and, from what I can see from our side of the counter, their computer system is no more efficient than what we have when making online bookings. Also it very much depends on their skill/patience/familiarity with their booking system ... and whether there's a queue of other folks waiting behind you!
Personally, I prefer to do my bookings online so I can choose the services which suit me. For example, I might be prepared to wait an hour at a station for a connecting service if I can get a bite to eat, or at least sit in comfort out of the weather. A booking clerk at a station won't know, or probably care, what variables you might be willing to tolerate.
... are the racks big enough?
As Knitty said, it very much depends on the service(s) you use. Some local services are roll on, roll off and are dead easy. Some local services and often intercity services are not, as I found out when touring with my Elephant Bike, even after removing panniers:

img_0736-large-jpg.jpg
One further ting to bear in mind is that the space(s) you notionally booked may not be available when boarding the train. Sometimes it's another cyclist without (or occasionally even with!) a booking and if they're nowhere around to discuss the matter, you might be stymied. At other times, the bike areas get stuffed with luggage, prams and even passengers if the service is busy. It then comes down to your confidence in ... negotiating access.
One-way van hire is the other possibility
If there are two of you and even if you have discounting railcards, the cost of rail travel on some routes can be extortionate. Advance fares can provide a cheaper option, but these tickets are usually for specific services so if one train in a connection is late, getting on an alternate service can be problematic, or expensive. However, this can even be the case when you've paid the premium for an 'Anytime' ticket. One way van hire can be expensive, but still competitive when faced with the cost of train fares for two.

As a solo traveller seeking the most economic and manageable means of getting to the start and end of a tour, I'm prepared to be flexible in my travel arrangements and adaptable when the snags arise. I've found that although booking become more complex when there are two of you, sharing the burden of negotiating the difficulties when travelling makes the journey less fraught. If I was travelling as a group of more than two, I'd definitely be looking for an alternative to the train.
I should also add that if you approach railway staff in the right way, they can be incredibly helpful in helping you with your journey if things look like going awry.

Let us know how you get on.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
West Coast (via Manchester to Glasgow) has a great cycling provision and will take pretty much any bike including tandems. Must book ahead.
East Coast (via Peterborough to Edinburgh) has Hitachi trains with poor cycle space provision - tight and difficult to install. Must book ahead.

Jackslad

As an aside, and having travelled the West Coast Line (Avanti) please make sure that you let the train manager (on board) that you have a bike aboard and where you are getting off. From Carlisle to Preston, I very nearly ended up being taken to Crewe, as the bike storage compartment can only be opened to the platform by a key, or a station operative from the outside. Very grateful to the cleaning lady who let me off - not to let anyone know that she did. Shhh!

Given that some ebike are more 'comfy hybrid' than mean lean racing machine - is there a problem with them due to wider handlebars?

I have noticed that mine are a bit wider than a lot.
Although unless I was going long distances (for an ebike!) I would take our folder just to avoid the complications

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I am sure someone will have better information available than I have, but AFAIK, a legal e-bike is carried under the same T&C as any other bike.
The law says that legal eBikes count as pedal bikes rather than motor vehicles as far as it is concerned. It doesn't say anything about how they may be treated in the Ts&Cs of a transport operator, which aren't part of the law of the land.
Lithium ion batteries count as dangerous goods, and there are also laws about the carriage of dangerous goods on public transport.

The OP will have to either say nothing and take his chances, or ask the rail operator.

The law says that legal eBikes count as pedal bikes rather than motor vehicles as far as it is concerned. It doesn't say anything about how they may be treated in the Ts&Cs of a transport operator, which aren't part of the law of the land.
Lithium ion batteries count as dangerous goods, and there are also laws about the carriage of dangerous goods on public transport.

The OP will have to either say nothing and take his chances, or ask the rail operator.

I wonder why neither train nor bus companies object to the fact that almost every passenger is carrying one or more items classified as Dangerous Goods ... . In fact, public transport companies actively encourage us to do so. :whistle:

Suppose may be worth a quick check but there's no problem with ebikes on London Transport trains and tubes (lines where you can take bikes) - was in the news recently. They won't carry escooters though - too many of them are feared to be wonky.

By the by, the OP hasn't answered the simple relevant question about where they are - which line, east or west coast might be handier.
Nor have they responded to/thanked anyone.
In fact haven't been seen much beyond making the original - their only - post on sunday.
may be best to let them be for now.

Top Bottom