Scotland in June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
hi - thinking of a mini tour up Scotland in the first week of June - 2 questions i would like help with and one may answer the other so here goes - what time of year do the midges start biting as i have read the book one man and his bike and i don't ever want to be caught out like that ! next question - to keep weight down i'm thinking sleeping bag , survival bag ( plastic bag to keep sleeping bag dry ) and a bivvy sheet - i dont want to camp every night so take bare minimum incase i cant find a bed but if midges are biting then tent is in order -but just wondered if anyone thinks bivvy is a good weight saving method for about 10 days - thanks for any answers

Prepare to be bitten... I am not sure they ever stop, but from May to September ............

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
flippin eck ! i would love to but alas my sewing skills put politly would not be midge proof - doubtful if they would be albatross proof but thanks for the reply

Last edited:

toekneep

The main season is July August I believe but I once suffered a miserable couple of days camping in Glencoe in November! The snow goggles came in handy though.

sidevalve

Über Member
Depends to some extent where you are going but as above the beasts will eat you alive for most of the year. The only difference being the sheer number of 'em. I would advise a tent anyhow as the weather can change wildly up there even in a single night. Besides good lightweight one man tents arn't that heavy anyhow.

Bodhbh

Guru
It does depend on the wind. I've had trips up there where they've been a total non-issue. That said, I wouldn't like to leave it to chance.

Fubar

Guru
I'm assuming you are heading to the West coast - I live in the East and it's never a problem unless you go somewhere there are trees/water. In the more remote regions of the West you probably will get bitten especially around dawn/dusk, however last year we rode around Arran (island off the west coast) and it was no problem. Apparently Avon Skin So Soft wards them off but that's extra weight for you to carry - and even with a tent they do get EVERYWHERE!

Brandane

Legendary Member
East or west Scotland? East is not midge free, but they don't hunt in huge clouds, the way they do in the west. As said, they don't like the wind. Worst you can get is warm, damp, still conditions, when the little fockers will have you running for cover. May to September is worst, but really it's only November to February which is relatively midgeless.
I would strongly recommend a tent, apart from midges it does rain a lot, especially in the west, and at any time of the year.

badolki

Über Member
Have a look for this wee book below. It gives a comprehensive description of the beast and its habits which is amusing in places and contains some interesting science. For example the fact that the female midge, which is the biter, is only active during periods of quite specific light levels. This is why dawn and dusk as well as periods of overcast and still weather are worst for warm blooded animals which exhale CO2. And, as a native of this land, I would endorse the recommendation for Skin So Soft by Avon. Never mind the weight. It works !
Midges in Scotland by George Hendry

KneesUp

Guru
Don't make the mistake I did the first time I drove up to Scotland, which was to stop by a small stream in the early evening to take a picture, leaving the car door open. I got back in to discover a car full of midges. Fortunately my Rough Guide had told me they can't fly in a wind speed above 6mph and are inactive if it's not very humid, so I turned the air-conditioning up to full speed which did calm matters considerably.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
East or west Scotland? East is not midge free, but they don't hunt in huge clouds, the way they do in the west. As said, they don't like the wind. Worst you can get is warm, damp, still conditions, when the little fockers will have you running for cover. May to September is worst, but really it's only November to February which is relatively midgeless.
I would strongly recommend a tent, apart from midges it does rain a lot, especially in the west, and at any time of the year.
hopefully i am going up east coast as fast as i can supported then the van is leaving me jog changing bikes and carrying my stuff home down west coast

Top Bottom