Scotland in June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You might be like me, I get surrounded by them, buzzing all around me, but the buggers don't bite me, must be mangy blood or I smell bad, still drives me mad though. you can hope for a stiff breeze.which drives them back into hiding.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
in summer while i sleep on top of covers and moh sleeps all curled up under the winter duvet i seem to be by-passed and they attack her with gusto but i don't know how i would fair north of the border without 'them' having an alternative

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I have been known to leave uneaten strawberries behind and run for the bike at my allotment (in Edinburgh - admittedly next to a stream, but still ... ). They rise in black clouds from among the vegetables when the wind drops just around sunset :surrender:, get into your eyes and ears and nose, even if you don't mind them so much on your arms and legs.
Midge headnets or hats are worth their weight in gold - just do a google search, all good outdoor shops will sell them.
That said, Scotland is worth any temporary irritation by the wee beasties :wub:, it's too windy most of the time, just around sunset/sunrise which is of course also setting up/breaking down camp time :rolleyes:...

T

@Scoosh It was the "marmite banned" thread in the Café forum.

@berty bassett Scotland, June, Bivvy bag and Tarp. Interesting idea. Firstly, those bright orange survival bags won't keep your sleeping bag dry for a whole host of reasons. 1) they are not breathable and therefore do not let your sweat out - your body sweats whilst you sleep, so sleeping bag absorbs it, 2) your breath contains a lot of moisture and this also makes your sleeping bag damp which that plastic bag won't let escape, 3) if it rains, they have an open end - that one you stick your head out of.... rain does get in that way, despite a tarp... and tarps - are not that lightweight, not that convenient, and need something to attach them to... they also provide a really nice shelter from the rain for those flying biting insects that you are trying hard to avoid, so insects like gathering under them. Now you are considering a survival bag rather than a proper bivvy bag with built in midge netting?

This night (in the picture below) was the single worst night we had in 4-5 months of cycle touring in Scandinavia. I came out with around 6 bites (mostly because I woke during the night too warm, unzipped the mossie net on my bivvy bag for some fresh air and promptly fell asleep with it unzipped... I was lucky to escape with so few bites. I don't taste that good!)

IMG_1540_1024.JPG

This was the scene on the north coast of Scotland last September... the one and only time I have every been driven to distraction by midge and this is from someone whose childhood 'playground' was just south of Rannoch Moor and known to be a very bad area for blackfly and midge. Look carefully at the picture. Our tent has a built in mossie net with it being of Scandinavia design...

IMG_6192_1024.JPG

That may not look too bad, but that was only what had landed on the mossie net, not the thousands that were flying around the tent. The camera simply could not capture those - not that I was willing to even try!

I don't want to put you off, but I don't think a survival bag & tarp are even vaguely sensible - you would survive, I'm just not certain you would wait until daylight to be back on your bike cycling...

Also if you look at the weights, my bivvy bag (Outdoor Research Aurora) comes in at 665g. Unfortuantly the tarp comes in well over 1.5kg... by which time you may as well have purchased an ultra lightweight tent and been fully waterproof and have the advantage of being able to strip naked in private, not to mention the ability to get away from those midge.

I found this a very useful website when it came to finding a cheap lightweight tent. The link is to ultra light tents, which is what we purchased in the end, but there are plenty of options in there for sensible money that come in less that the above 2kg!

toekneep

I have read that Avon have taken out the vital ingredient from Skin so Soft and it doesn't work anymore. I don't have hard evidence of this so I would be interested in any confirmation or otherwise. Our bottle is very old so we will be using it sparingly on our trip.

If you are a marmite lover, you would be better off eating a piece of bread with it on each day in our experience. Start 1 week beforehand. midge will still pester you but it seems they don't like the smell let alone the taste of someone who eats marmite... (actually it is the Vit B in the marmite, so you could try supplementing with something else...) the link to the "marmite banned" thread above of mine, has links to the relevant articles, but yes, I understand that Avon has had that ingredient removed (though it never worked for me because I also could not stand the smell of it!) Thankfully I like marmite and even my OH who hates the stuff suffered a round of bread a day with it on to avoid getting bitten through Scandinavia... (the trick is to have it with cheese or similar and apparently it tastes better than by itself if you don't like it)

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
its touch n go whether i would rather be bitten or eat marmite xx( ;) but thanks for tips and thanks for taking the time to post all that . its just annoying that all i wanted to do was get south from jog in my own time as light as possible without booking anywhere , the idea was just keep going till i was tired and if there was a b&b or travel lodge or any bed - take advantage , if there wasn't then i dont mind dossing down a few nights , but i draw the line at being slowly devoured bit by bit . i have a lightweight tent ( vango banshee 200 ) down bag and sleeping mat , i also have a tarp that i bought on a whim , i have decided that no cooking kit at all is going and just liked the idea of basics in emergency - BUT on advice so far it looks like the tent and bag are a must - bubblewrap is a brilliant idea as serves 2 purposes and cutting down on clothes though i would like to keep a pair of plimpsoles just to change footwear if i am soaked :rolleyes:

albion

Guru
I find midge problems cycling 'up hill' is quite irritating .
Body temperature increases attracting more midges which then seem happy chase biting you at 7 mph wind sheltered pace .

Head east for less midges if you so wish.

its touch n go whether i would rather be bitten or eat marmite xx( ;) but thanks for tips and thanks for taking the time to post all that . its just annoying that all i wanted to do was get south from jog in my own time as light as possible without booking anywhere , the idea was just keep going till i was tired and if there was a b&b or travel lodge or any bed - take advantage , if there wasn't then i dont mind dossing down a few nights , but i draw the line at being slowly devoured bit by bit . i have a lightweight tent ( vango banshee 200 ) down bag and sleeping mat , i also have a tarp that i bought on a whim , i have decided that no cooking kit at all is going and just liked the idea of basics in emergency - BUT on advice so far it looks like the tent and bag are a must - bubblewrap is a brilliant idea as serves 2 purposes and cutting down on clothes though i would like to keep a pair of plimpsoles just to change footwear if i am soaked :rolleyes:
I understand that unfiltered beer has a good level of vit b if you would prefer that! Otherise try something like BioCare Vitasorb B which is Vit B in liquid form and very effective and easily absorbed into the body. Just add to the beer/orange juice and midge shouldn't like you too much unless you are at Bettyhill campsite... Avoid the campsite at Bettyhill at all costs. That was where that photo was taken (we attempted JOGLE last September but due to an ankle injury had to abort).
Should you find yourself in need to shelter around Warrington - Northwich area, we live just off the A49 and are on Warmshowers.org which is worth looking at and signing up to if you can plan and keep to a schedule. We can't so don't often use it. The campsite at JOG was excellent when we were there in Sept - out of school holiday season but I can imaging it would be very busy otherwise.
What route were you planning? We did the north coast around to Durness (also an excellent campsite with cooking facilities and a superbly stocks spar shop) and then round and down to Ullapool... plans changed at that point because of the weather.... (seriously wet with the first storm on the Autumn blowing in).

U

User6179

they do... but only if they have built in mossie nets at all air vents & the door....

I once had to pitch a tent in the great glen and ended up just laying the tent on the ground and climbing into it such was the ferocity of the attack upon me :surrender:

Top Bottom